Are hid's going to be any good

Cleo

Reason I ask...I had blue bulbs in (not by me, the seller, I put ordinary ones in today) but the lights in general are sh!t, really bloody bad, high beams fine but not dip. The thing is, there's some kind of dome shaped shield in front if the dip bulb that in my opinion is blocking a lot of the light, so therefore is an hid kit going to be any good, as the bulb will still be behind this chrome cover/shield...just wondered

Reason I ask...I had blue bulbs in (not by me, the seller, I put ordinary ones in today) but the lights in general are ****, really bloody bad, high beams fine but not dip. The thing is, there's some kind of dome shaped shield in front if the dip bulb that in my opinion is blocking a lot of the light, so therefore is an hid kit going to be any good, as the bulb will still be behind this chrome cover/shield...just wondered

That is there to prevent glare to other users.

The light output on to the road is reflected from the back of the headlight and does not come straight from the bulb. The reflector is a complex set of mirrors designed to focus the light in the correct pattern on the road.

Headlight_reflector_optics_schematic.png

Notice how on the end of a normal H7 there is a cap to prevent glare.

18zanh2sdmxb9jpg.jpg

That is there to prevent glare to other users.

The light output on to the road is reflected from the back of the headlight and does not come straight from the bulb. The reflector is a complex set of mirrors designed to focus the light in the correct pattern on the road.

Headlight_reflector_optics_schematic.png

Notice how on the end of a normal H7 there is a cap to prevent glare.

18zanh2sdmxb9jpg.jpg

It the OP's car is a monte fabia, itll have projector lights with a shutter system internally that controls the high n low beam.

You wont get glare to other road users, youll get a nice clean cut off.

• Like 1

It the OP's car is a monte fabia, itll have projector lights with a shutter system internally that controls the high n low beam.

You wont get glare to other road users, youll get a nice clean cut off.

I'm sure it's an Octy as that's his normal visiting section

Ah right.

Not over familiar with the octys lighting set up.

Never seen a mk2 onwards with reflector dips though i dont think. I cant think.

Be interesting to hear more

OP is talking about a mk1 I assume as that's what he's talked about buying on other threads.

In the UK SUK seemed to specify projectors for all levels of trim on the mk2. Elsewhere the mk2 was available with reflectors.

Mk3 has reflectors for non xenon lights in the UK.

mk2 with reflectors: 

0260951619001.jpg

OP is talking about a mk1 I assume as that's what he's talked about buying on other threads.

In the UK SUK seemed to specify projectors for all levels of trim on the mk2. Elsewhere the mk2 was available with reflectors.

Mk3 has reflectors for non xenon lights in the UK.

mk2 with reflectors:

0260951619001.jpg

Fair shout. Wouldnt bother with HIDs in any kind of reflector :).

Whats he on about 'shutter system' then? Theyre only used on projectors arent they? Reflectors usually just use a dual filament bulb for low n high if theyre using just one reflector dont they?

Im confused hsha

Fair shout. Wouldnt bother with HIDs in any kind of reflector :).

Whats he on about 'shutter system' then? Theyre only used on projectors arent they? Reflectors usually just use a dual filament bulb for low n high if theyre using just one reflector dont they?

Im confused hsha

He never mentions a shutter?

If it's a mk1, I assume he means the cap over the end of the bulb.

As I said, it's there to prevent glare.

ALL1030.jpg

Sorry chaps, I forgot to say, yes it's an 05 mk2 octy

Soft scoop...I know there's that black cap on bulbs for glare, it's the chrome dome/cap thing in front of the bulb (dip), I know it'll probably be to do with glare but my other car's didn't have it, you just saw the bulb with nothing covering it.

I had hid in a mondy mk3, pug 306 and rover 75 and was fine, and tempted with this but it's this cap/dome thing that's putting me off

He never mentions a shutter?

If it's a mk1, I assume he means the cap over the end of the bulb.

As I said, it's there to prevent glare.

ALL1030.jpg

Ooh that shield. Im with you now :).

I somewhat misunderstood the first post haha.

Anyway, i wouldnt bother with hids. Its horrible to everybody else on the road

• Like 1

Softscoop....pic 2 and the bulb on the left ie dip, that chrome dome cover thing, I know it's for glare but honestly, the light is bloody terrible I was out last night for the first time with ordinary halogens and wondered if they were on, seriously, it's crap. The lens and reflectors are good and clear so it's not them

Ok I'm lost.

The light for dipped beam comes projecting out of the lens and has no "chrome dome". Behind the lense is a cut out that creates the defined beam cut off to avoid blinding other drivers.

The silver plastic infront of the projector lense is purely there to catch the light so it's easier for others to see your headlights, otherwise you'd just have a lense that looking at from anything other than beam area wouldn't show anything.

projectorheadlightdiagram.png

You can put HIDs in the projector type lights in a mk2 Octavia and vastly improve the light output without blinding others.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/264447-hid-aftermaket-kit-help-for-definitive-how-to/

• Like 1

Ok I'm lost.

The light for dipped beam comes projecting out of the lens and has no "chrome dome". Behind the lense is a cut out that creates the defined beam cut off to avoid blinding other drivers.

The silver plastic infront of the projector lense is purely there to catch the light so it's easier for others to see your headlights, otherwise you'd just have a lense that looking at from anything other than beam area wouldn't show anything.

projectorheadlightdiagram.png

You can put HIDs in the projector type lights in a mk2 Octavia and vastly improve the light output without blinding others.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/264447-hid-aftermaket-kit-help-for-definitive-how-to/

I'll think I'll leave you to this one ;) haha.

HIDs will give so much more light down the road, provided you have the projector light units.  Using reflectors nothing like as good.

I'm sure you could get some from a scrapper, or for slightly more, have a look on ebay.  Last time I looked, they were sub £50 each brand new.  Make sure they are correct dipping, ie to the left.

Slightly better, the pair of HIDs is £25ish from Londoncolour (were most on here seem to get their from). 

The projector is for dip only, but the improvement is so great it almost make main beam redundant.  I think a set of for bi-xenon factory type headlamps will work out quite a bit more.

I know and I might put them in, I've got 2 5k h7's but only one ballast

But this is the dome shape thing that if it wasn't there there would be better from the original bulb, I know someone with an 01 Passat, he's got the same lights as said too at night they're crap and can see dam all and his lenses (like mine) are clear ect.....something's not right

post-118061-0-63329700-1417012986_thumb.jpg

I guess if fitting them (hid's) I'll need to cut a hole in the cover at the back for the cables again

Edited by Cleo

That dome is the projector part of the light, you cant remove it

I know, but I feel it's not letting enough light out, but I know it's the design, I just hope that if I put hid in, it'll be better, because it's seriously dangous on country rds, especially when car come towards you as you have the high beam on. I've honestly never had a car with such bad lights, well dip anyway

I know, but I feel it's not letting enough light out, but I know it's the design, I just hope that if I put hid in, it'll be better, because it's seriously dangous on country rds, especially when car come towards you as you have the high beam on. I've honestly never had a car with such bad lights, well dip anyway

Hids will improve it and its okay to put HIDs in projectors.

Other than that, i dont think i can really help lol.