Are hid's going to be any good

Cleo

In a reflector lamp, HIDs appear to give more light output because they just reflect what in essence is a massively brighter bulb. In your lamps, the projector lens actually focuses the HID light output and directs it better. Less light output does not necessarily mean less vision as the lens uses the output better - especially for on coming drivers.

When you say your lamps are bad on country lanes, do you have manual or auto adjust lamps?, Have you had the basic alignment checked at all?, Knowing which model Octy you have may help, is it a vrs?

If you removed that lens the output would be 100% worse!

The dome you describe is not chrome but is a glass lens that focuses the light.

I found the projector lenses far better than any of my previous reflector lights. It focuses the light much better without all the light being scattered up into the air.

HIDs also make a massive improvement.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

If the light output on the MkII projector headlights is as bad as you say it is then you have a problem with your lights. As standard they are pretty good.

If the previous owner has had blue aftermarket bulbs in, and then you have replaced them with normal bulbs then it is likely something has happened along the way which is affecting the lights.

It is also worth noting that it is very easy (well for some!) to put the H7 bulbs in upside down on these headlights. This drastically reduces light output.

See here for all you need to know to fit a London Colour 35W 4300K HID kit...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/264447-hid-aftermaket-kit-help-for-definitive-how-to/page-1?hl=+hids

• Like 1

They were in right, as the only "sit" in one way ie tab down, I'm saying the "chrome" cap, yea it's glass, don't know I said that, I'm surprised the lights as bad as it is too as the reflectors and lenses are fine. I also need the canbus kit not the non as I've got the bulb warning light in the dash, and it's 50 odd quid

Edited by Cleo

They were in right, as the only "sit" in one way ie tab down, I'm saying the "chrome" cap, yea it's glass, don't know I said that, I'm surprised the lights as bad as it is too as the reflectors and lenses are fine. I also need the canbus kit not the non as I've got the bulb warning light in the dash, and it's 50 odd quid

You need the non canbus kit and code the car with VCDS to tell it that it has HIDs fitted, otherwise you risk damaging the CCM.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/264447-hid-aftermaket-kit-help-for-definitive-how-to/

• 4 weeks later...

Had same problem with mine (mk2 with projectors) and was looking into HIDs changing from osram night breakers, awful light out put, very disappointed.

Found out how to remove the head light to get a proper look on fitments and found a burr on the tab of the head light fitting pushing the bulb just slightly out of alignment.

Fitted square, now they are fantastic!

Its worth double checking that the bulb is sat completely square in the holder.

just my 2 cents.

• Like 1