Superb DSG 4x4 Slight clonk in taking up drive

BD314

Just got my car a few weeks ago and absolutely delighted with it. 1 year old with 10,000 miles.  However, I've noticed that when I'm crawling along in traffic (no throttle), and then go to apply throttle (very gently), I get aslight clonk.  If I lift-off and apply throttle again, I can usually get it to repeat the noise but not always. 

It's barely noticeable, but I tend to be paranoid about these things.  Is this normal, and simply the take-up mechanics of the drivetrain/gearbox ?  It's super smooth any other time, it just happens when crawling along.

Any ideas ?

Hi, from my experience of coming from full on torque converter BMW Autos I think its more of a DSG thing primarily and then maybe a slight extra sensation due to 4x4 (I dont have this)

My DSG does exactly as you describe but I guess this is to be expected, it is a 'robotised manual' at the end of the day. I still dont think that a machine can change gear more smoothly than a perfectly administered stick shift......What it can do is do a 95% perfect shift 100% of the time which is what us lazy bio-mechanical machines fail to do!

Cheers

Yves 

Just got my car a few weeks ago and absolutely delighted with it. 1 year old with 10,000 miles.  However, I've noticed that when I'm crawling along in traffic (no throttle), and then go to apply throttle (very gently), I get aslight clonk.  If I lift-off and apply throttle again, I can usually get it to repeat the noise but not always. 

It's barely noticeable, but I tend to be paranoid about these things.  Is this normal, and simply the take-up mechanics of the drivetrain/gearbox ?  It's super smooth any other time, it just happens when crawling along.

Any ideas ?

Depends how loud is the sound. Can you hear it when radio is on? Is it related with gear change or not?

In slow motion with radio off and ventilation off there are some sounds indeed. I can hear when DSG is chaning to 1st to 2nd and sometimes also hear when Haldex is releasing AWD. 

Thanks guys.  I'm fairly certain it's a DSG/Haldex thing.  I guess I feel the 'clunk' rather than hear it, as it is fairly quiet.  Doesn't seem to do it in manual gearchange mode, just auto. Sounds like it might be normal behaviour.