Fabia Cooling Light on board blinking

Hello guys,

Since yesterday (when it got below 1 degree Celsius outside in the morning) when I first start my car up in the morning the cooling light on the instrument panel blinks and gives 3 beeps.

At first I just stopped the engine and opened the bonnet. I took a look at the cooling expansion tank and saw that the coolant level was at the minimum level. I added about 300 ml of concentrated G12+ that I bought from a local car parts store. The level went over the minimum.

After using the car for a few minutes and stopping then restarting the engine, the blinking doesn't start again and no beeps are given. I checked the coolant level again after the temperature gauge was at half (which should be 90 degrees Celsius and no, it did not go over that temperature) and the coolant level was just a tiny bit over maximum level. This means that the circuit is working correctly, and the temperature valve is working, letting the coolant flow.

But this morning, the same thing happened - when starting the car the first time in the morning, the blinking cooling light started again with the initial 3 beeps.

After going for 2-3 minutes towards work, I noticed the temperature gauge was nearing the quarter point, and I stopped the engine at a red light. When starting the engine again after the red light went to green, the blinking did not start again.

I've thought about what can be wrong and I don't get it exactly - the engine is completely cold (so it can't be an overheating problem) and also the coolant level this morning was over the minimum point. 

Can you help with some suggestions?

Hah, ok - I get it.

Seems as though I didn't search enough through the forum.

Well anyway - my dad and I switched cars for a day so he could get to the Skoda dealership which is right across the road from where he works.

The people were really ok and electronically diagnosed my vehicle for free (cause my father's car is new from them) - they only charged for the half hour spent checking the car (they looked over the sensors, wires and levels and also they did not see leaks) - they charged like 5 GBP for the check.

So their recommendation is this: 

- change coolant expansion tank (which also contains the sensor);

- complete drain and cleanup of the cooling system (they can do it with a solution);

- change the antigel (that's what we call it - you know it as coolant) which is about 5 litres;

They said that the cost of the tank with sensor, plus coolant, plus the cleanup and work costs is around 42 GPB.

Take into consideration that a new coolant tank with sensor here is about 12.5 GBP. Also, the cost of coolant / litre is 3.5 GBP.

What do you think? Is it too much / too little? Should I do it at the dealership?

Edited by BlackOutPaul

With a 12YO car and no history so you don't know how old the coolant is (it's long life, not infinite life) I'd say that price for a new header, system drian, flush and refill is worth paying for knowing that if you do have an airlock prolem afterwards it's their job to fix it (at no cost to you if your consumer law is the same as ours).

• Like 1

Thanks for the fast responses from all.

Hey 

KenONeill

Thank you for the opinion!

Yeah, you're right - I have absolutely no idea when the coolant was changed by the previous owner. Indeed, taking into account the costs and that they offer a warranty for their work (although I don't think that our laws are the same as in UK, but that doesn't matter).

I now have an official Skoda dealer appraisal for the work that needs to be done. I will just wait to have my next paycheck and register an appointment with them for the operations.

I will let you know the results.