turbos gone :(

stevobeavo

Coming home from work, pulled out of a petrol station and bang! High pitch noise no power. So I pull into a car park turn it of and then on and once again a high pitch noise of 5-10 seconds. Rev the car slightly and it comes back.... Turbos had it :(

Managed to get the car home by removing the top boost pipe (stop any fragments entering the engine) and driving ever so slowly changing gear at 1500 rev. I can't afford to be trailered atm.

So cars home and I'll be doing the turbo replacement myself. So I have a few questions,

1) anyone have a turbo for sale or recommend a place that is reasonable. I ideally want a standard asz replacement.

2) what gaskets, bolts etc do I nned to replace.

3) any tips on getting it out, read a few people have taken it out through the top which would be my preferred method as its being done on the roadside.

Cars a 2005 asz with 123,000 miles on it, original turbo, always warmed up and cooled down correctly.

Thanks a lot guys

Stephen.

Ive been in this situation its definately not a good feeling.

Turbo dynamics are good but your looking at £600, only other one I know is aet turbos but ive only used them for repairs and mods not bought a standard turbo off them.

As for removing i havent done it myself but having seen a turbo out of the car i cant imagine it is that easy to take it out from top.

I can tell you though if you take it to a garage your looking at about £300 that for the extra parts and labour and oil change.

If your lucky your intercooler is a bit oiled up and any little fragments will have got stuck in there so that will need a good wash out, and the boost pipe from the turbo is usually weakend after turbo blows it may be ok for a while but will more than likely blow a hole.

sorry couldnt be much more help.

i'm pretty sure if the turbo went you would have trail of oil from your exhaust?

just double check your IC hoses, and check you intake pipe what comes from the airbox side to the turbo ( silver pipe ) 

i have a gt1749va in my garage, but just double check all your hoses before you go buying a new one.

Edit:

its not difficult to change, i took mine of yesterday, took me about 1.5 hrs ( my 2nd time now ) and cleaned it due to over boost code .

just be prepared for stripped inlet manifold hex bolts. invest in some Irwin bolt grip removers if your confident enough to do it yourself.

other than that its real easy, wip it out from the top, theres plenty of guides and lots of support on how to change and clean your turbo :D

before-1_zps7d4ca3c0.jpg

after-4_zpsc480c6d7.jpg

after-5_zpsb1d27c78.jpg

Edited by KX250

Ive been in this situation its definately not a good feeling.

Turbo dynamics are good but your looking at £600, only other one I know is aet turbos but ive only used them for repairs and mods not bought a standard turbo off them.

As for removing i havent done it myself but having seen a turbo out of the car i cant imagine it is that easy to take it out from top.

I can tell you though if you take it to a garage your looking at about £300 that for the extra parts and labour and oil change.

If your lucky your intercooler is a bit oiled up and any little fragments will have got stuck in there so that will need a good wash out, and the boost pipe from the turbo is usually weakend after turbo blows it may be ok for a while but will more than likely blow a hole.

sorry couldnt be much more help.

it wont come out from the top

Just double check the bottom of the air intake pipe, it connects to the cold side of the turbo.

i had one pop of my bora as the jubilee clip wasn't on tight enough and the oil caused it to slip off.

IMG_zps03047590.jpg

it wont come out from the top

I personally confirm they do come out from the top, my turbo being a GT1749VB not much if any difference in size so i don't see why the GT1749VA cant be removed from the top.

I preformed this yesterday and refitted again this morning from the top. you just need to remove the inlet manifold and intake pipe. push the down pipe out of the way and be careful with your oil feed pipe. and if it helps for a little more room just unbolt the engine bracket at the back of the engine and your sorted  :rock: 

mine was done from the top because i didn't want to mess around with un bolting drive shaft and puling the hub etc. taking me 1.5 hr to remove another hour cleaning and left it over night.

Cheers guys. This is the noise its making.

https://flic.kr/p/pg4vWC

When I took the boost pipes off I did have a look in the and I couldn't see and metal or oil. But that was only top black one. Think I'll strip it down and look before I go buying parts then.

That is indeed a dead turbo, noise like that off tickover and off boost is a broken impeller, it's the sound of air cavitating in the scroll housing.

Cheers guys. I've seen a few turbos on eBay, refurbed for roughly £3-350. There's is a place in germany doing them for £250 plus postage, but I'm unsure about them.

Won't be buying anything until I know exactly what I need first

It's not worth taking the risk buying from an un-known or un-trustworthy source.  Many so called "refurbished" turbos seem to have been removed with amateurs replacing a few parts, cleaning them up and selling them on....not with a bargelpole would I touch something like those.  I'd stick to professionally refurbished turbos carrying a warranty against defects (if possible) or buy new for peace of mind.  I had a price for a new Garret Turbo inclusive of all fitting and VAT at about £750 recently (I asked because I wanted to plan ahead!  Can't remember of that was an exchange deal or an outright buy though).  If doing the job yourself, it should be cheaper.  Others may know a reputable refurbisher who supplies reliable, well refurbed units much cheaper. 

Cheers guys. The turbos now out as well as the intercooler and all pipe work. Wasn't to bad a job, it came out through the top without much problems.

I will need a new intercooler as mine as a tiny hole in it, more from a stone than the turbo. Took about 3.5 hours to do and that includes getting off the undertray, front bumper and wheel arch liner. Had no seized/stripped bolts which I'm happy about. Just need to source the bits now, turbo, intercooler, gaskets etc. Waiting to hear back on some details on a hybrid 150.

https://flic.kr/p/pXD4oc

https://flic.kr/p/qdWV3U

https://flic.kr/p/qdWWES

Cheers guys. The turbos now out as well as the intercooler and all pipe work. Wasn't to bad a job, it came out through the top without much problems.

I will need a new intercooler as mine as a tiny hole in it, more from a stone than the turbo. Took about 3.5 hours to do and that includes getting off the undertray, front bumper and wheel arch liner. Had no seized/stripped bolts which I'm happy about. Just need to source the bits now, turbo, intercooler, gaskets etc. Waiting to hear back on some details on a hybrid 150.

https://flic.kr/p/pXD4oc

https://flic.kr/p/qdWV3U

damn that looks chewed up!

have you tried the darkside developments for a turbo? mines the one in this link  

I have an SMIC its the solid aluminium one, i removed it off my bora before i sold it but never fitted it as the fabia came with an FMIC. its  near enough new if your interested. i'm just not 100% sure if the brackets are the same though.

post-121906-0-23871300-1417397566_thumb.jpg

Think I'll just replace it with a standard one tbh. That way I don't have to mess around with new pipe work. I'm still debating wither to get a returned turbo or new. Going to ring round a couple of places today

Well I had a word with darkside today and after a chat I came away with a lighter wallet lol. Ordered a Garrett pd150 turbo with all the gaskets, egr blanks and their own flexible oil feed line.

The guy was saying I might as well go for the bigger turbo as its the same price as the pd130. Fingers crossed the car will be up and running in a few weeks.

Faboka vrs - I'll probably sell my old turbo as a refurb project Lol.

KX250 I would love to get around to doing that with my PD130 turbo......its a long term job, I've only recently moved house and that has too many jobs to ensure get done before that makes it to a priority !

Nice decoke job there though, could do with a thread in its own right

this turned up yesterday :) brand new PD150 turbo

15752030748_24eac293ba_z.jpg

15938808982_ba78da17d4_z.jpg

15317214454_66c5a68dcd_z.jpg

15317210844_c481630fc9_z.jpg

New oil and filter coming tomorrow or Friday. going to take the sump off and check for any turbo parts in there, also the guys from darkside said about putting the oil feed from the filter to the filler and running the car with no manifolds on for a few minutes to clear any crap out...going to be loud lol.

• Like 1

KX250 I would love to get around to doing that with my PD130 turbo......its a long term job, I've only recently moved house and that has too many jobs to ensure get done before that makes it to a priority !

Nice decoke job there though, could do with a thread in its own right

only reason i could do it is because i told her i'm not moving house unless the next house has a garage! now that i have a garage i'm never out of it lol. anyway if you do manage to get round to doing it, make sure you have some oxy and acetylene. if your unit is old you might just have to use it to split the turbo, i used it on my old turbo last year. this one was easy its 8 months old so it came apart really easy :D

• Like 1