Heater

Yety

What happens to the heater settings when the system is turned off?

What I mean is that I can detect some air flow from the dash vents when on the move, but do the servo motors/flaps stay in their last position at the last switch off, do they default to say shut/open, or something else.

It just seems a little concerning that the fan has to be on basically all the time you want cooling/heating. The only time I find it ok to have the fan off, is when I can open a window in warmer weather. It's probably a "big" job to swop heater motors, they must have a finite life.

In days of old when choke knobs were all the rage, you could leave the heater settings alone until the seasons changed!

It may help not thinking of it as a heater. On modern vehicles the ventilation heating and cooling are all integrated Quarter lights, windscreen vents (series one landies/2CV's etcetera)  are no longer used.The days of heaters as an optional extra are long gone unless you regard the heated windscreen as such. No more desperate back of the hand wiping to maintain a porthole of visibility.

If you're disappointed with the answers given here, then you're in for a real treat at your dealers if they are like the two I use.

On a serious note, not sure what point you are making. All items on your car have a finite life. My DMF was opdef from day one, whereas other people's are still going strong after many years and hundreds of thousands of miles. If you are concerned about it, use the search facility on here. Or post your question on the Ask A Tech section.

I did a quick search on Google and that came up with a few forums with heating system issues, not only involving VAG vehicles.

Fin

If you're disappointed with the answers given here, then you're in for a real treat at your dealers if they are like the two I use.

On a serious note, not sure what point you are making. All items on your car have a finite life. My DMF was opdef from day one, whereas other people's are still going strong after many years and hundreds of thousands of miles. If you are concerned about it, use the search facility on here. Or post your question on the Ask A Tech section.

I did a quick search on Google and that came up with a few forums with heating system issues, not only involving VAG vehicles.

Fin

Well fancy that, the dealer was most helpful and took me "service side" to the techie - and we had a little chat. Always found my local dealer to be very good.

I wasn't making a point, just asking for some information, hopefully from you knowledgeable lot   :nerd:

Jerry, 

From what I can tell from my car, after the ignition is turned off various "shutters" in the dash close, because I hear them "clunking" over a short period. 

Hi Graham.

Yes, spending a few nights in the car is very interesting until you fall asleep :nerd: Lots of noise like mice with clogs on, and then later a double "click" from the rear which goes on for some time - possibly fuel tank?

Going to WAMC meeting next Tuesday?

Jerry,

Never noticed the noise from the back!

No, got to go to a funeral  in Kent Wednesday morning, so going down overnight. Could be an "interesting" meeting! Can you give my apologies, from CSMA?

Glad to hear you have a decent dealer. Wish I could say the same.

As they seem to be extremely helpful, you would probably have got your question answered quicker and with more authority if you'd gone straight to them.