superb 1 fault code

belmont67

Hi , first post on this excellent forum 

I am  a new owner of a 2004 awx 1.9tdi  111k, and after a weeks use I was driving att appprox 65 mph when the engine refused any more revs . Temp loss of power , then again on the way home but this time the management light came on with the message " emissions workshop"

We don't have a skoda dealer over on the IOM , so i took it to a local garage who came up withthe following 

code 17965  passive/sporadic   charge pressure control, Value above upper control limit

The mechanic reset the management and retested , the fault is now clear ,and after a brief blast this morning the problem seems to have gone away . However with these things that's probably not the last I will hear of it !

I have read other threads on here suggesting a sensor behind the cylinder head , I just wondered if this was a similar readout to those posts 

Thanks in advance 

Boost pressure deviation above the upper limit is usually caused by sticking vanes in the VNT (variable geometry) turbocharger. Forum/Google search will reveal much.

There is a variety of "cures" ranging from oven cleaner to a proper strip down. The problem can be mitigated once the vanes are free by occasional spirited driving (hot engine only of course). Maybe time for a trip round the TT circuit.

The AWX is by far the best engine - look after it.

rotodiesel.

• Like 1

Boost pressure deviation above the upper limit is usually caused by sticking vanes in the VNT (variable geometry) turbocharger. Forum/Google search will reveal much.

There is a variety of "cures" ranging from oven cleaner to a proper strip down. The problem can be mitigated once the vanes are free by occasional spirited driving (hot engine only of course). Maybe time for a trip round the TT circuit.

The AWX is by far the best engine - look after it.

rotodiesel.

Thanks for the reply , I was reading about the oven cleaner trick  maybe i will give that a go but I think i will take your advice and give it some throttle for a week or 2 over the mountain ( not continuous of course !) Is the turbo and agr fairly accessible on this engine ?

Before you give it an Italian tune up get some 10K boost.  follow the instructions and it should free up the vanes nicely.  If it doesn't work then it's time for a strip and full clean.

I have some innotec turbo cleaner which has never been used - it requires access to the exhaust side of the turbo so try the 10K first.  Google it and if you want it then I can do 50% off rrp, PM me if needed.

Edited by Sheldon.Cooper

Before you give it an Italian tune up get some 10K boost.  follow the instructions and it should free up the vanes nicely.  If it doesn't work then it's time for a strip and full clean.

I have some innotec turbo cleaner which has never been used - it requires access to the exhaust side of the turbo so try the 10K first.  Google it and if you want it then I can do 50% off rrp, PM me if needed.

Thanks , I will try the 10k boost stuff , has anyone else used this stuff ?