Hole in Piston

To Cut long story short -

Bought car March 2014 from Skoda dealer, 44000 miles full service history. Last serviced Aug 2014 50k service

Car broke down 18th Nov - EML and EMC warning lights - Limp mode

Skoda Roadside Assisted - Damaged Spark Plug in port 1, after misfire detected. - Spark Plugs changed @ 40K service as indicated in service book. 

Currently in Garage - Hole in Piston apparently - Engine strip - Top Engineer to come out to look into why. 

Anyone else had this kind of issue, is it worth me buying a new car? Any thoughts? i believe it should be covered under warranty as the services where carried out on time, and that genuine VAG pasts where used (I'm hoping so anyway) £££££ just before Xmas is not good!! 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your issue. Not whats needed before Christmas!

Your approved used warranty will cover this. I wouldnt worry.

What age car is it?

The spark plugs are known to fail on this car at around the mileage you have. it could be that they were not changed and the plug as failed.

• Like 1

This one for George to pick up on!

Registration date,CAVE Engine? Any dealer warranty.

There may be one at least very  similar in the various threads.

Skoda UK replacement engine sounds like a solution to me.

• Like 1

I had a hole in piston back in July on number 3 cylinder. New engine was put in under warrenty and the new engine has done 6k without using a drop of oil, well happy. But i made sure i ran the new engine in properly as per the owners hand book.

• Like 2

Do not let the supposed 10,000 miles spark plugs disappear. They must be kept. They can go in 10,000 miles. Or someone can have ticked a box and stamped a service book.

Edited by goneoffSKi

60Reg, I did have a 12 month approved used car warranty from the dealer.  Maybe the new engine would be the ideal solution.  I will keep you updated when i hear back from the garage today i hope.  Many thanks for all your comments. 

Sorry a used car warranty and a warranty with a skoda approved used car can be different. if any issues you need to find out the warranty history in the first 3 years.

• Like 1

To Cut long story short -

Bought car March 2014 from Skoda dealer, 44000 miles full service history. Last serviced Aug 2014 50k service

Car broke down 18th Nov - EML and EMC warning lights - Limp mode

Skoda Roadside Assisted - Damaged Spark Plug in port 1, after misfire detected. - Spark Plugs changed @ 40K service as indicated in service book. 

Currently in Garage - Hole in Piston apparently - Engine strip - Top Engineer to come out to look into why. 

Anyone else had this kind of issue, is it worth me buying a new car? Any thoughts? i believe it should be covered under warranty as the services where carried out on time, and that genuine VAG pasts where used (I'm hoping so anyway) £££££ just before Xmas is not good!! 

Have you got a free loan car from the dealer at Skoda's expense.

I take it that the New Engine has been authorised and is now ordered?

No idea what the Top Engineer is wanting to look into, 

Skoda & VW know why and what happened.

It is not unusual.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

I know it is not funny, but it reminds me of a joke.

'A big hole opened up on the road,

the Police sent out officers to look into it'.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Here we go again George.

Same old ,same old Skoda /VAG crap.

They will never do the right thing by the owner of a faulty car, which they know all about but won't own up too!!

Next fight is on then.

So much for the Top Engineer involvement!

Have you obtained a copy of his report?

Good luck bong030882

Edited by vrskeith

There is a hole in the piston, the valves for that cylinder show they were overheated,

the Inlet manifold design is the cause,

What more do they need to know. ?

There is a hole in the piston, the valves for that cylinder show they were overheated,

the Inlet manifold design is the cause,

What more do they need to know. ?

Can you explain what you mean by the inlet manifold is the cause? Are you saying it something that can be easily changed? BTW simply interested to hear your view.

No because they never changed that one cylinder get cooked under full boost since the 1.4 TSI Twincharger was taken to 132 - 136 kW.

They did revise the engines with the CTHE, they changed the Pistons and rings, & other components.

They changed the Engine Management (MAP) to alter the fueling. Well to correct the fueling.

They never changed the Inlet Manifold,

or advised a change in the Spark Plugs service schedules, or checking them.