Hole in Piston

Here we go again George.

Same old ,same old Skoda /VAG crap.

They will never do the right thing by the owner of a faulty car, which they know all about but won't own up too!!

Next fight is on then.

So much for the Top Engineer involvement!

Have you obtained a copy of his report?

Good luck bong030882

Ive politely asked for a comprehensive report via Email, so i can use the information if needed in court if need be.  Guess what..... Still no reply... 

Edited by bong030882

Have you raised a case with Skoda UK Customer Services, and now got a Handler at Skoda UK ?

Or is the Dealership using some Warranty Claims Manager for a Warranty Company?

Skoda UK are who you need to communicate with.

All record of Communications kept, calls and Emails, & find out the planned actions being taken.

• Like 2

Ive politely asked for a comprehensive report via Email, so i can use the information if needed in court if need be.  Guess what..... Still no reply... 

Finally got a call today, engine is coming out, all work to be done under warranty, progress.....

• Like 2

I had this happen in my Polo GTi... Long and veiny of it was a replacement block and head from VW, manifolds back and forward were swapped to the new from the old. Work was covered under warranty, but it wasnt a complete job, I picked up the car yesterday morning and it is going straight back to the garage as it is hunting for an idle, and idling very high when in gear or neutral or park sat at lights etc. Check out the Polo Oil Consumption thread if you want the full read up, but its very very possible that a sparkplug failure was caused by excessive heat in the cylinder caused by it burning oil...

• Like 1

Should be new engine, pieces of the piston(s?) were flying about the engine. Very likely there is plenty of other damage )Turbo, valves, bores, refurb would make no sense as there is a risk of doing all that work and still having a problem motor. Unless they can inspect everything in detail and certify it is all OK. By that time they might find that new motor is cheaper.

I was quietly expecting this :) Good result! Enjoy your brand new motor!

This is one of the cases that highlights the design issues with pistons on standard cars. Unless the car is running over 300 bhp which I don't think it is.

As I wrote before, no piston can withstand detonation... nothing to do with piston design. There was also a talk about piston flutter and redesign can sort this out and in such a case a piston design fault it will be indeed.

This leads to oil in combustion chamber, deposits, hot spots and detonation resulting in among other things holes in pistons :)

• Like 2

re post #36.  

Not a piston issue.   (well a hole in one is a Piston issue,  but the issues are more than just pistons.)

The CAVE or a CTHE with different Pistons, Rings/Scrapers might well get a hole,

It is a Design Fault, a VW trying out a new Twincharger and using the buying public for their R&D.

1.4 TSI taken to 132-136 Kw,  but the Same Base Engine,

needed a better Engine Management system (Map),  Inlet Manifold, Plugs, Ignition Coils,  Service Schedule etc etc.

So if you want to tune, start with a Good One, feed it good fluids & Plugs / Filters and only Remap with a decent map.

No matter how good the Pistons are, those alone will not mean there may not be problems.

Edited by goneoffSKi

As I wrote before, no piston can withstand detonation... nothing to do with piston design. There was also a talk about piston flutter and redesign can sort this out and in such a case a piston design fault it will be indeed.

This leads to oil in combustion chamber, deposits, hot spots and detonation resulting in among other things holes in pistons :)

OK, so I'm looking at the wrong component. Carbon deposits can I assume be burnt away and ensure that spark plugs are in tip top condition (not misfiring). Is there a way of stopping hot spots?

re post #36.

Not a piston issue. (well a hole in one is a Piston issue, but the issues are more than just pistons.)

The CAVE or a CTHE with different Pistons, Rings/Scrapers might well get a hole,

It is a Design Fault, a VW trying out a new Twincharger and using the buying public for their R&D.

1.4 TSI taken to 132-136 Kw, but the Same Base Engine,

needed a better Engine Management system (Map), Inlet Manifold, Plugs, Ignition Coils, Service Schedule etc etc.

So if you want to tune, start with a Good One, feed it good fluids & Plugs / Filters and only Remap with a decent map.

No matter how good the Pistons are, those alone will not mean there may not be problems.

It seem though you never know when the engine is going to have issues. Some in the first year others after 40 - 50 k miles. Other than what we already know there must be something that tips the balance.

So feed them good fluids, Spark Plugs and Filters, have the latest Skoda / VW ECU Update,

and if you are going to Remap be sure that it is a good one,  and you are aware of the Spark Plug & Ignition Coils Conditions.

They are good to 210 BHP or so,  

after that it is a even bigger lottery than Standard to 210 BHP.

CTHE should be better or more reliable than CAVE, but then you are not Remapping a CTHE.

You still need to be sure the Spark Plugs are good.

Even if you have a good engine i would not run their Remap or anyones copy of it on a CAVE.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi

So feed them good fluids, Spark Plugs and Filters, have the latest Skoda / VW ECU Update,

and if you are going to Remap be sure that it is a good one, and you are aware of the Spark Plug & Ignition Coils Conditions.

They are good to 210 BHP or so,

after that it is a even bigger lottery than Standard to 210 BHP.

CTHE should be better or more reliable than CAVE, but then you are not Remapping a CTHE.

You still need to be sure the Spark Plugs are good.

So a possible conclusion is potentially don't remap unless you change the spark plugs since the remap will most likely increase the fuel input and any misfires could lead to a bigger donation resulting in the operating temps begin higher than the pistons were designed for. I guess this is sort of what is said by REVO warning but not really explained in plain English.

More important is be sure a standard one has good spark plugs and coils.

98 ron or higher octane fuel,  

and the latest software,  ECU VW MAP.

& it is an engine without misfires or issues.

Remap as you like, but do not do it to an engine that is not running properly when standard.

Then run appropriate Spark Plugs, Oil & Fuel when it is Remapped.

It is all basic stuff really, Translation from American English to UK English is hardly as difficult as CZ / German to English.

Which is the Skoda / VW issue.

To me the REVO Warning seems quite clear, 

only thing missed is,  'Our Remap on the 1.4TSI 180-185 ps Twincharger is sharn.'

Edited by goneoffSKi

More important is be sure a standard one has good spark plugs and coils.

98 ron or higher octane fuel,

and the latest software, ECU VW MAP.

& it is an engine without misfires or issues.

Remap as you like, but do not do it to an engine that is not running properly when standard.

Then run appropriate Spark Plugs, Oil & Fuel when it is Remapped.

It is all basic stuff really, Translation from American English to UK English is hardly as difficult as CZ / German to English.

Which is the Skoda / VW issue.

To me the REVO Warning seems quite clear,

only thing missed is, 'Our Remap on the 1.4TSI 180-185 ps Twincharger is sharn.'

Why do you think their remap is any worst than anyone else's? Are they trying to over fuel? Apologies for so many questions just trying to understand the root causes.

OK, so I'm looking at the wrong component. Carbon deposits can I assume be burnt away and ensure that spark plugs are in tip top condition (not misfiring). Is there a way of stopping hot spots?

It is rather complicated as many factors are involved. Try Lucifer's guide to what is wrong with twinchargers. I do not agree with some finer points in there but in general the best write up on the net at the moment.

In a nutshell the best way of stopping hotspots in the combustion chamber is to make sure there are not deposits there. How to do that? What George said about maintenance and consumables .One thing he did not mention is the way you use the car. Treat the loud pedal like it bites and your engine will be much more likely to go boom than if you regularly slowly take it to operating temps and then boot it and keep booting it for a sustained period of time. Is no good redline it once and be content with yourself. You have to keep the motor operating at top revs for a sustained period of time, say 10 mins, take oil to 110C-120C depending on the time of the year and then bring it down to 90C driving before you stop and switch off. Best are track days for this as you might be getting on the wrong side of the traffic law on public roads ;).

The above assumes engine runs fine and has no problems. If it does and you run it like it should (above) then you will break it quickly, perhaps for the better as there is still a chance it would be under some warranty.

Keep checking compression in cylinders when replacing plugs, the quickest and the least invasive way of diagnosing engine's health.

Keep checking compression in cylinders when replacing plugs, the quickest and the least invasive way of diagnosing engine's health.

How do you check the compression? Also found an interest post about one one unfortunate piston story.

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14390

I guess if you've got a 2011 car no way to tell if it has the newer pistons?