decisions decisions when

as my chevvy has been in a workshop, i have had a superb as a courtesy taxi. 1.6 greenline saloon, manual, am very impressed with the build quality, but if i had one i would probably go for an estate and DSG.

couple of questions, this car i have, has a bit of a noise at around 70mph, i can only describe it as like a wheel bearing going, but its like what i can only describe as like the Dr Who Tardis, anyone else had this, is it possibly a wheel bearing or just a characteristic of the car?

also, which may well be a make or break downside, is unbelievably that it maybe too big, when i have had customers in the back, i really have to stretch round to get the money off them! i know it may sound silly, but after a while, it does get irritating! 

also, which model to go for.  i want certain features, but i want to put in my aftermarket ICE unit, a Pioneer AVH-X5500BT which i can plug in a reversing camera, it also plays DVD's, handy when waiting for customers, so mayne the Octy could be a better choice?

also comparing the Superb to the Octavia, they have the same engines? the reason i ask is that the Superb seems a lot more quieter/smoother than the "tractor-like" sound of the Octy?

the 3 possible replacement taxis are the Superb, obviously, the Octavia Scout with DSG, or a Kia Optima auto

Help! lol

The noise at 70mph could be a number of things but more likely a problem with the tyres such as saw toothing - I had this problem until I changed my tyres.  It could be a bearing starting but probably something specific to that particular car as not every Superb has this.  In terms of engines you may be thinking of the older PD engines which sounded very rough.  All the new Skoda engines are common rail (last PDs around 2010/11) and this is the same across Superb and Octavias.  The Octavia has 1.6tdi 105bhp, 2.0tdi 150 and 184bhp while the Superb has the same 1.6tdi 105bhp plus 2.0tdi in 140 and 170bhp outputs (a slightly updated version of the engines in the Octavia as the Octavia is a brand new model).

I've never heard a taxi driver complaining of the space but I see your point although your passengers will have a lot more space in the back of the Superb.  The Superb is a smoother and more refined drive and you'll have plenty of comfort if you're spending hours in it as a taxi.

Elegance spec is pretty much loaded with full leather seats, xenons, Columbus with sat nav (you could DVDs on this system), heated/electric seats etc etc.  Would the leather seats be a runner as a taxi??  Mid range SE spec is well equipped too and has 17" as opposed to 18" wheels on the elegance - I think you still get part leather, folding mirrors, rear parking sensors, auto dimming mirrors to name a few - what spec is the one you are driving now?

I wouldn't dismiss the Octavia though.  The new model is very good and although not as refined as the Superb, it is a very good car and 1.6tdi might even return a higher mpg than the already very fuel efficient equivalent in the Superb.  Are you city based or any motorway runs -  this may influence your decision?

• Like 1

brilliant info there, many thanks.

im semi rural, which is why i would only be interested in the Scout version,Superb i have at the minute does soak up a lot of rough surfaces really well i have to say, the one i have now is the entry model S, so quite basic, leather wise, i had a Rover 75 Connoisseur with full leather, made it really easy to keep clean

see my dilemma now? :D  

also, the Superb i have at the minute has only done 34K which i thought was a bit too early for the wheel bearing to be wearing badly at

Edited by bidderman1969

I wouldn't be too worried about the noise - just try one or two other cars before you buy and you'll  probably find they are fine.  I think the Octavia Scout comes in 150 and 184bhp powertrains only so you wouldn't have the advantages of the 1.6tdi Octavia in terms of fuel economy and road tax etc - it emits 99g/km of Co2 and I understand road tax is zero in the UK if under 100g.  Also the 4x4 haldex system in the Scout adds extra weight and complexity.  Do you really need the extra ground clearance?

BTW are there any taxi deals around at the moment with any dealers?  Skoda tend to do this a bit so might be worth having a look.

• Like 1

Not sure I could afford brand new tbh, but I will probably have a quick look anyway, otherwise, my budget would be around 14K tops

Ive been quoted £18K inc vat, most of my work is contract so if i went VAT regd i could claim back £3000 in vat making it £15,000, thereafter id also get my vat back off fuel and repairs, etc, id just add vat to my invoices and pass it onto HMRC less deductions

Different if you mainly do cash though

I had the Octy I (Way too low to the ground for Irish back roads, cracked the sump once), Octy II (RIdes 20-25 mm higher, never had a problem with it touching down, though I get the odd bit on forest roads) and Superb II (Has touched down once, and that's with 5 people and their gear and a trailer on a basically illegal speed bump and in that case only the towbar rubbed). So for bad roads everything except the Greenline (Which is lowered) in the Superbs has respectable ground clearance. I've had no tyre problems running 17" wheels either, but I'm back on 16s for the winter and they're even better (Quieter and smoother, though the 17's were already smoother than 16s or 15s on the Octy II) - if low profile tyres actually meant sharp handling you'd think F1 cars would run low profiles... :P

• 2 weeks later...