Next mod... more like an update

dieselV6

Guess what I'm up to now...

debadged_rear.jpg

debadged_front.jpg

Yes, badge update. Front badge delaminated badly after 8 years / 130k miles, so I decided it's time for the new Skoda logos all round. I'm going to try out the latest (July) Rapid badges rather than the smaller Citigo ones, New Rapid logos are 2x 90mm arched ones, 5JJ853621A. I'll post photos once I am done. 

Original Mk1 Superb badges are 88mm front and 93mm back, both arched. 90mm emblem should fit both front and back better. as back one was a tad large and barely sitting flush with the recess, and front one even at 88mm is oversized anyway (ca 82mm backing in 90mm+ recess) and still has space around.

In line with the upcoming season, I have used gift wrapping tape  :D  (rather than the usual dental floss) and a heat gun to remove logos and lettering. Plus plenty of IPA and elbow grease to clean up the glue afterwards.

I also considered fitting the badgeless front grille, but decided that for now I'm happy with the chrome, might do it in future once chrome gets even more tired. 

Ooh, badgeless grill looks mean!  Be interested to see how your badges turn out.  I keep considering this, but now I think I've resolved myself to sticking to mechanical items only now she's heading into old age...

Guess what I'm up to now...

debadged_rear.jpg

debadged_front.jpg

You've put the front on the back and the back on the front...Whoa!!!  :rock:

Oh....hang on....more text to read  :notme:

Gaz

I'm truly impressed by your attention to detail .... white electricians tape over the front number plate and yellow electricians tape to mask out the rear number plate.

Amazing :p

A small update regarding hub caps for the wheels: Do not but the ones made in China, with "A" at the end (5JA 601 151A). Inner diameter is 51mm vs 52mm required, and while they click in place much more happily than 5JA 601 151, they rattle afterwards and will eventually wear out. I ordered one to test, ended up putting electrician's tape on the clips to prevent rattling (real one, not virtual one like on the number plates :p ) , and I am keeping it as a spare.

Get the 5JA 601 151 ones, cost 15%-25% more but these are 52mm inside - 56mm outside and will fit much better. 

Edited by dieselV6

New badges have arrived, project completed, photos below:

new_badge_front_20141208_103022.jpg

new_badge_rear_2.jpg

These are 5JJ853621A emblems, that are used on the Rapid from July 2014 onwards. Both look very good to me. Rear one fits perfectly. Front one fits very well, but I guess a perfect fit would be a 90mm badge that is arched left-right and top-bottom, not just top-bottom (if such part exists). Still, so long as the new front badge does not fall off after a while (no studs on this one, just 1mm thin adhesive pad), it looks much better than the old, delaminated one. If it does fall of, I might just get a badgeless grille afterwards.

No photos of wheels, because they are stored away (car has bare winter steelies on at the moment), but I can confirm that 5JA 601 151 (no suffixes) hub caps fit them very well. HTH

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1

In my opinion, the original one (93mm diameter) was a tad too large for the recess, the badge edge was floating on top of recess edge and you could see the glue. This 90mm one sits flush with bottom edge of recess and no glue is showing. But if you prefer outside recess line to disappear completely, you need to find an emblem that is 92mm - 93mm in diameter. For me, the 90mm one is perfect size.

Also, the badge has quite large depth (is very articulated), so all shiny parts actually stick above the recess, not sure why it is not more evident in a photo, but when looking at it live I can see mainly the badge, and the recess circle only if I focus on it.

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1