Extremely Poor Headlight

Guy's 

Every year when winter arrives my headlights are useless - I would get more light shinning on the road by candles strapped on the bonnet. I have a 56 plate VRS with projector lens headlights with Halogen bulbs fitted, manual height adjustment - which are absolutely rubbish. Is there anything I can do to improve them - I have thought about a HID kit, but I want all the bits and pieces associated with these light to fit within the plastic shroud on the back of the headlight - "NO" bits and pieces on show under the bonnet.

Cheers

Paul 

Buy this kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270591725356?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649&clk_rvr_id=741776689459&afsrc=1

It's from a seller that pretty much everyone on here uses.

Ask for 4300k bulbs as they give the most light.

Then get someone to code the car for xenons to remove the bulb warning.

Everything fits inside the lights with nothing hanging out the back. Very neat install.

Phil

Lots of people have fitted HID kits with great results, including myself.

All you need is a non-canbus kit, and for someone to code the car with VCDS to say it has HID bulbs otherwise you get a bulb out warning.

The kit linked below a lot of members have fitted, and because of the slim ballasts, it tucks completely in the back of the headlight, with nothing sticking out and no holes to drill etc.

It took me 30 minutes to install and code.

You'll need H7 fitment, and 4300k Bulbs give the most light and are the same colour as standard xenon bulbs available on the Octavia.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H1-H3-H7-H9-H11-HB3-HB4-9006-/330379335700?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

Below is how to code:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/329617-hid-vcds-settings/

How old are your headlamp bulbs?  The light output gradually degrades over the life of bulbs.  The headlights on my vRS are fine - obviously not the same light output as HIDs but fitting new uprated bulbs when I bought the car (at 15 months old) made a noticeable difference.  

+1 for the london colour 4300k 35w slim ballast HID kit. You cannot go wrong

Something of a record? A new thread about HID and nobody questioning the legality??? Things are looking up.

Mike

I almost mentioned legality but decided not to as no-one takes any notice of it anyway. :notme:

Another one here with a '56 and HID's from Londoncolour.  Cost is currently £25.  Bargain of the decade or what?

There are no extra wires or gismos outside the headlamp shell, everything fits inside. 

Took about half an hour for the whole job - installation and coding.  Don't get the CAN BUS ones.

A fantastic improvement after trying Phillips/Osram nightbreaker type halogens which made a  barely noticable difference.

I've had mine fitted maybe 4 years now, never been flashed, stopped or even had a mention at MOT time. 

If there has been any deterioration since fitting, they are still sufficiently good that I haven't noticed.

Buy this kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270591725356?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649&clk_rvr_id=741776689459&afsrc=1

It's from a seller that pretty much everyone on here uses.

Ask for 4300k bulbs as they give the most light.

Then get someone to code the car for xenons to remove the bulb warning.

Everything fits inside the lights with nothing hanging out the back. Very neat install.

Phil

Phil,which one do i buy? the ones at £28 or the others in the link in the  text that are canbus safe £38? if i fit these could you do the coding for me? if i fit them before the coding will they work ok but just put the warning light on? do i need to get the coding done before i fit them? Thanks Mike. 

Phil,which one do i buy? the ones at £28 or the others in the link in the  text that are canbus safe £38? if i fit these could you do the coding for me? if i fit them before the coding will they work ok but just put the warning light on? do i need to get the coding done before i fit them? Thanks Mike. 

Hi,

You need the non-canbus "safe" ones. The can-bus "friendly" kits are nothing but. A very real risk of frying the central convenience and wiper motor.

I certainly can do the coding for you.

I *think* you can fit them before the coding and just end up with a warning... but I'm also thinking it will shut the lights off if it thinks there is a "fault".

If you wanted to you could buy them, then come to me and I help you fit them then code?

Phil

Right so i need the kit priced at £28.99 in your link & i need to ask for the 4300k type. I will get them then arrange a day & time to come to you for the coding,i could fit the bulbs before i bring it to you,i will see when they arrive,if not then i will fit them at yours. Many thanks,will be in touch when ive got them. Thanks Mike. 

Yes. It's definitely this kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270591725356?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649&clk_rvr_id=741776689459&afsrc=1&clk_rvr_id=742086187354&afsrc=1

The colour temp is up to you but 4300k is the same as used in the OEM xenon bulbs and outputs the most light compared to anything higher.

Just drop me a PM when you've got them and we'll sort something out.

Phil

• Like 1

Mike,thanks for that information!  :thumbup: I have tried some uprated bulbs & there was a improvement but not enough for me so i will give these a try,my headlights seem in good condition(car is 6 years old). Im guessing if i fit the HIDs but dont turn them on before Phil can do the coding for me it will be ok? 

Yes. It's definitely this kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270591725356?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649&clk_rvr_id=741776689459&afsrc=1&clk_rvr_id=742086187354&afsrc=1

The colour temp is up to you but 4300k is the same as used in the OEM xenon bulbs and outputs the most light compared to anything higher.

Just drop me a PM when you've got them and we'll sort something out.

Phil

Save £4 and get from this link...it's the same product :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID-Conversion-KIT-H7-4300K-Digital-Mini-Ballasts-Metal-base-HID-bulbs-/331046666030?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d13eb3f2e

• Like 1

be aware that the Octavia headlights can deteriorate -- I have just replaced a headlight unit on my 54 plate because the outer lens, the lens over the indicator and the projector lens itself had started to go a bit milky in appearance.

Was this deterioration something you noticed before or after installing the HID kit?

I'm asking because HID lamps emit large amounts of UV radiation unless the bulb has a filter, which can discolour polycarbonate.

I've actually just ordered a HID kit - I have no axe to grind - but I am curious.

I've had HID's fitted for four years now, lenses still clear as a clear thing.  So I doubt it can be attributable to the HID.

Polycarbonate is susceptible to quite a range of common chemicals - hydocarbons and many adhesives are two.  A lens could have been contaminated unwittingly.

With the help from Phil we fitted this kit to my octavia this morning & i got to try it out tonight & all i can say is wow! its such a improvement over the uprated bulbs i had fitted,there is so much more light ahead & to the n/s. I wouldnt fit anything else now. Dont bother with uprated bulbs,fit this kit. Big thanks to Phil for all his help & mikeholroyd for all his advice & knowledge on this subject. 

Not on mine (05 Octy tdi) I need the canbus and it's 55 quid

I have a 56 Octavia, and fitted the non CANBUS HID's and they work fantastically well.  They did need coding, as Mike has repeatedly said. 

What is different about yours?

With the help from Phil we fitted this kit to my octavia this morning & i got to try it out tonight & all i can say is wow! its such a improvement over the uprated bulbs i had fitted,there is so much more light ahead & to the n/s. I wouldnt fit anything else now. Dont bother with uprated bulbs,fit this kit. Big thanks to Phil for all his help & mikeholroyd for all his advice & knowledge on this subject. 

Told you they would make a difference!

Glad you're pleased and you're more than welcome.

It really is a doddle to do and a no brainer to me!

Phil

Hi, just seen these. http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-HIDS4U-Ultimate-35W-HID-Conversion-Kit.html

Any advice? Would I still need my car coding? 2010 vrs

I think the sentence at the bottom of that product page says it all....

The Audi A3 and Peugeot 407 both require an additional harness to protect the wiper motor. Please contact us for details.

Get the £25 Londoncolour kit and get it coded by a local member.