Extremely Poor Headlight

4300k is the best really. It's the OEM colour used on the original kits and provides the highest light output but while still being nice bright white with a very slight blue/purple tint to it.

Phil

I was going to choose between those 2 colours to be honest as I want to stay fairly oem.

I presume the 5000k are slightly more blue.

But if there's not much in them then I will go for 4300k. (Can always just change the bulbs at a later date if I want)

Many thanks for your advise.

Quick question,when i turn my headlights on my HID's flash for a split second then slowly come on/light up over the next 5 seconds,is this normal?  :D

Certainly is. The high voltage ballast strikes the bulb (flash), then the ballasts reduce the operating voltage as the bulb has started to conduct as the arc builds slightly.

• Like 1

I've had a Londoncolour Hid kit in for about a year coded in with no problems until now. Yesterday I had a headlight go out on me. I was on a 90 minute drive and 80 minutes in a head light went out. After 10 mins I switched them on and off and today they've been fine again. I'm going to replace the ballast in that headlight to be on the safe side.

I have noticed that the London Colour HID kit takes much longer to reach full temperature / brightness than the factory fit OEM xenon headlights.

On our Octavia with factory xenon's the lights are bright enough to see as soon as you flick the switch with only a very small amount of warming up evident, say a second or so.

My HID kit has the flash as mentioned above but then the light all but disappears (at least from behind the wheel). Over the course of about 5 to 10 seconds they reach full brightness.

Whilst warming up they are very blue and eventually become whiter.

Not a major issue but one of the biggest differences I've noticed between the £30 HID kit and the close to £1,000 factory fit option.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

I was going to choose between those 2 colours to be honest as I want to stay fairly oem.

I presume the 5000k are slightly more blue.

But if there's not much in them then I will go for 4300k. (Can always just change the bulbs at a later date if I want)

Many thanks for your advise.

5000K is less bright than 4300K.

4300K = 3,200 usable lumens (VAG OEM)

5000K = 3,000 usable lumens

6000K = 2,800 usable lumens

8000K = 2,500 usable lumens

Colour temperature is measured in Kelvin (K).

Brightness is measured in Lumens.

Intensity is measured in Candela.

Useful reading here...

http://www.mobilehid.com/3000k.htm

I've had a Londoncolour Hid kit in for about a year coded in with no problems until now. Yesterday I had a headlight go out on me. I was on a 90 minute drive and 80 minutes in a head light went out. After 10 mins I switched them on and off and today they've been fine again. I'm going to replace the ballast in that headlight to be on the safe side.

Mine did this too back in July.

Turned them back on later that night and they both fired just fine.

No issues since and mine are on at least three hours a day this time of year.

Mine did this too back in July.

Turned them back on later that night and they both fired just fine.

No issues since and mine are on at least three hours a day this time of year.

Thanks Silver I expect they will be fine, been on for a couple of hours since with no troubles. I'll keep the spare ballast and a spare bulb in the car in case I need it!

• Like 1

You'll need a laptop with a USB port (or be able to park extremely close to your computer) plus VCDS from here:

http://www.ilexa.co.uk/acatalog/vagcom.html

You get everything you need in the box, the lead and the software - of course you can download the latest versions from the website too.

It's fairly easy to use, I coded my kit yesterday, was probably the simplest part of the procedure although took a lot of reading to find the right settings for my car.

I ordered londoncolor kit aswell and soon installing it. I have read that those slim ballasts could easily install inside headlight but do those get hot, meaning that would temperature break headlight? Also should i put bigger fuses to headlight as the quidebook tells to?

I have also ch/lh that operates the headlights, anyone know could i code them to use foglights? Car is 2008 octavia kombi 4x4.

I ordered londoncolor kit aswell and soon installing it. I have read that those slim ballasts could easily install inside headlight but do those get hot, meaning that would temperature break headlight? Also should i put bigger fuses to headlight as the quidebook tells to?

I have also ch/lh that operates the headlights, anyone know could i code them to use foglights? Car is 2008 octavia kombi 4x4.

No they don't get hot. Installing it all inside the light is fine.

No bigger fuse required.

And no... not possible to do on the pre-fl cars unfortunately.

Phil

No they don't get hot. Installing it all inside the light is fine.

No bigger fuse required.

And no... not possible to do on the pre-fl cars unfortunately.

Phil

Thanks Phil for quick answering!

Do you think that i could still use ch/lh lights or would hids break sooner?