HELP! Removing turbo from TDI 4x4

Bjornm

Friends,

I have been tampering with motors, cars and mortorcycles for almost 50 years, and I have never been forced to give up a project. Until now. I am now trying to remove the turbo from my 2000 Octavia Estate 4x4 (AGR engine). It's a splendid car, but after developing the dreaded limp mode in steep uphills, I decided to remove the turbo for cleanup and servicing.

But -  even being from the north of Norway, I have never been swearing so heavily in all my life. The thing is impossible to get out!!

I have removed everything, down to the oil pipes to reach the thing.

The turbo in an AGR engine has a wastegate, which I suspect is hanging. I know of the Mr. Muscle trick to free the vanes in THE OTHER type of turbo, but I think it is of no use in this case (no vanes). The wastegate valve is kind of outside the turbo first stage, and maybe the Mr. Muscle cleaning wouldn't work so well here. I think the whole thing should go out and on to the bench for a proper cleaning.

BUT - I cannot get the f-ing thing out!!!  :devil:

The exhaust pipe is detached, the drive axle is loosened and moved aside, the intake manifold and all piping is out, and it seem now to be two ways of getting the thing out.

One is to detach the exhaust manifold with the turbo still attached. Good plan, only six more nuts to loosen. But the second bottom nut from the register end is inaccessible! The bulk of the turbo itself makes it impossible to attach any tool to the nut! I can get a wrench (good offset) over the nut, but I cannot turn it! No socket in earth will reach the nut because of the turbo. Conclusion: I cannot remove the manifold.

Other is to remove the two bolts (12mm XZN) - from above, easy match. But: on the underside, hidden by the RWD gearbox, front axle, subframe AND wastegate, there is a 13mm (I think) nut. I don't know, because I haven't reached it with any tool in my toolboxes, I haven't even been able to touch it with my hands! Talk about inaccessable!! :devil:  :devil:  And how the hell am I supposed to reach that? Of couse I can dismantle everything and hoist the engine out, then everything would be a dream to get at. But maybe too much work. Maybe.

I only wish I had those Czech engineers here now, so I could lay my hands on them!!!! If they only had put that last nut on the turbo flange UPWARDS so it could be reached!!! Or if the had put the turbo 2 cms further aft, so one could use a tool on that exhaustmanifold nut!! I want to kill those guys!! Badly! The engine bay is a nightmare with water and vacuum piping always in the way, and cables and contacts and things interfering with the tools all the time.

More seriously, does anyone have experience with removing this monstrosity?

After cooling down, I think that loosening the wastegate actuator pushrod (mine is in one piece, with a nut on each side of the actuator arm), and the n remove the wastegate completely, will make it possible to reach that 13mm nut on the underside of the turbo flange. Does this make sense, anyone?

Or does the old Mr. Muscle treat work with this turbo too? :nerd:

It really would be a shame to put everything together again and not have been able to take the turbo out. What a defeat!!

By the way, I have 17958 fault code, Charge Pressure, Control deviation. Maybe not a surprise?

Does anyone have any good ideas, please?

Thanks, mates!

Edited by Bjornm

TDI is diesel. 1,9l TDI.

You're mistaken about the disel turbo. There are two versions, one with separate turbo (mine), I think its K03 turbo, with wastegate, one with integral turbo/manifold. I think the latter has variable vane control in the turbo.  :sun:

According to that nice Mr Haynes, on the AGR engine there is a mounting bolt for the turbo ON TOP of the exhaust manifold. Did you remove it?

When I removed mine a normal fwd drive 110 TDI, I removed the inlet manifold, and then removed the exhaust manifold, complete with turbo attached out of the top.

Apparently it can be dropped out of the bottom without removing a drive shaft, but as you are finding it a right PITA.

hth & good luck!

cheshire cat:

I think you mean the diaphragm in the wastegate? I'll chech when it's out. I think mouth suction isn't enough to check action of the wastegate, and I have no vacuum source for testing.

pikpilot:

The nut is on the UNDERSIDE of the turbo flange. If you have a look at the Haynes manual, section 4D.4, picture 5.11, you'll see the nut marked 12 on the underside. How much easier would it not have been with the thing on TOP of the flange!

Mbames:

The rat catch is that the turbo secondary stage is blocking access to the lower second exhaust manifold bolt from register. I think this type of turbo with wastegate, which is detachable from the exhaust manifold is uncommon. Most turbos are integral with the exhaust manifold.

Anyway, I will try to release the nut on the underside of the turbo flange (God knows how) and get the pig out.

I have never been up to more unaccessible nuts and bolts in my life.

By the way, engine is AGR, car is 1U5

Turbo KO3.

Does anyone have experience with the effect of Mr.Muscle treatment on this type of turbo?

It would have been so incredibly more easy to just spray the thing!!

Thanks for all responses, guys!

pikpilot:

The nut is on the UNDERSIDE of the turbo flange. If you have a look at the Haynes manual, section 4D.4, picture 5.11, you'll see the nut marked 12 on the underside. How much easier would it not have been with the thing on TOP of the flange!

Bjorn,

I was referring to the same picture, item 2, which is called Turbocharger Mounting Bolt and is screwed in from above the manifold, and so could easily be missed.

Good luck with the nut.

pikpilot:

Yes, those two XZN bolts are easily removed.

I have to collect strenght to get that pig nut on the underside tomorrow!

Thanks for your time, all help is good help!

(I'll need the good luck!)   :p

• 4 weeks later...

Bjorn.....

I feel your pain, had some serious frustration today trying to get the turbo off my MK2 octavia 4x4 TDI, access is almost impossible from underneath, with the transfer box getting in the way of doing pretty much anything useful. It took me ages just to remove the pipework, cooler and egr valve (none of which will be going back on afterwards). finally got in to see the turbo and manifold. Took all the nuts off, then discovered the evil bracket. Its mounted below the turbo as with yours and after struggling to get at it with every spanner and socket i have, whilst trying to look through a mirror decided to give in for the evening. I think tomorrow i will be getting the car on axle stands and removing the driveshaft and some bits of subframe to see if i can get in a little better that way.   

octytdi4x4..

In the end I got the thing parted, but I had to loosen the driveshaft, disconnect the oil return pipe and shine a powerful torch up from underneath (car jacked up and on  axlestands, as you suggest) THEN I could JUST see the nut on the underside of the turbo flange.

Then I got it.

I am quite certain that your turbo is integral with the exhaust manifold, and should come out in one piece. My exhaust manifold was impossible to remove with turbo attached.

BUT: I found the actuator pipe (rubber hose) from N75 valve to wastegate to contain some absolutely jet black fluid. Possible condensation with carbon. This gunk must have passed from the secondary turbo stage, through N75 valve and back down to the wastegate.

It is quite certain that the stuff has come from the crank case ventilation system - another cause to remove the direct approach to inlet manifold and let it pass through a separate catch tank.

I think my Octavia mk2 will be fitted with one soon....

Good luck to you, octytdi4x4, mate!

Thanks Bjorn, yes you are correct, the manifold/turbo is all one piece.

i actually managed (after MUCH swearing) to get the bracket off from the bottom of the turbo housing, it is sandwiched between the engine block and another bracket which goes around the transfer box behind the driveshaft and then bolts back to the block below. What a pain! Fitted a new centre cartridge and cleaned up all the vanes and everything inside. got everything back together, minus the egr cooler, and blanked off both ends. Just need a vacuum pump and guage now to set up the vnt actuator, i tried to get the stop screw in the same position on the new cartridge and kind of assumed that the vacuum actuator would still be set correctly. but its obviously miles out, when i first set off i get little to no boost for the first 30 seconds or so of driving, and this horrible knocking at around 3k rpm, but by the time i'm up to 3rd gear, the boost is there again, but is laggy, and doesn't feel as strong as it did before, come to think of it, there did feel to be a fair bit of preload on the actuator when i was putting it all back together.

I had a catch tank on my last tdi (bora 1.9pd), if you fit one , make sure the pipework and especially the fittings on the tank can flow enough gas through to ensure your not getting a build up of pressure in the crankcase under heavy load, i was surprised at the amount coming through just at idle, so id imagine with heavy acceleration there will be a lot of blow-by. 

Not sure if its a daft suggestion, but instead of a catch tank (which i found still let a bit of gunk through) is it possible to stick one of those cheapy inline fuel filters inbetween the nipple on the turbo and the n75 valve to catch the gunge and then just swap it every service?