Citigo MPG Issues

ChalmersCameron

Alright everyone?

Uni has failed from me posting on here but I have a question for all you about MPG. So I was flicking through my average MPG and it was on 32.6mpg average after an hour of 70mph cruising. Surely this isn't normal? The car only had me and no luggage and I wasn't revving hard at all, yet the highest I achieved was 34mpg and at times it was as low as 22.3mpg. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Cam

Uhhhh, are you sure you're driving in 5th!

Seriously though, at 70 mph you should be getting back around 48mpg cruising, what does the fuel guage tell you. It may just be an issue with the PID - maybe giv it a reset?

If that doesn't help or if the fuel really is being drunk like that it sounds like a problem.

Today I drove 220 miles and the PID said 64 mpg, although it does lie! I usually manage 370 miles between fill ups but just fill it, not accurate records. I did get it well down to 35mpg last summer driving with enthusiasm.

Something wrong there, either take those lead boots off or get it looked at. At 70mph you should still be getting at the very least 50+. At  65mph even better nudging towards 60mpg.

Cold conditions use a little more juice but these engines get to operating temperate very quickly.

I'm getting near on 50mpg (according to the MFD) in my Toledo 1.2 tsi on longer runs. Don't forget the PID figure are around 7-10% over reading.

Edited by MickA

I gave mine a good thrashing on the way home Saturday night and it read 51mpg :)

The reason I like the Citigo's economy so much. 

OP - Something is definitely wrong with the PID, I'd imagine. I'd maybe reset it, and if it's doing the same drop your dealer a call/email. 

It's going into the dealer to be looked at but I'm not even using the PID. I've been using the readout on the dashboard as well as keeping track of my economy using Fuelly the app and both get the same. And both are crap. I don't drive heavy footed at all but since new the car has not reached anywhere near 50+mpg and like I said the highest I've ever seen on the display is 42mpg. Even my mum drove it and she's a very slow driver who usually gets way over whats expected of cars fuel economy and even she couldn't get it over 43mpg. I bought the Citigo to be an economical city car to run about in at uni and yet I'm struggling to justify it now  :sweat:

The only way you can be sure is, that fill it up, then drive until fuel light lit up, then refill it again. How many mile you drove, and how you much you refueled.

If you have to brake very often, then of course it consumes more fuel.

I gave my Citigo an 'enthusiastic' trip to Derby and back on Saturday; got 46mpg on the way there and 49 on the way back (both PID values) so I would agree that something is not right with yours.

I gave my Citigo an 'enthusiastic' trip to Derby and back on Saturday; got 46mpg on the way there and 49 on the way back (both PID values) so I would agree that something is not right with yours.

Everyone goes away from Derby quicker than they got there. :D

• Like 1

All depends on your driving style mainly. Driving economically maked a clear difference to your mpg. For instance its roughly 10 miles to work for me on a morning with 30 and 40 zones and not many junctions or lights to contend with so of I drive like shall we say a normal person at the speed limits and changing gears around 3000rpm if not less then I can easilt be hitting 50+ if not a lot more but say im running late or feel aggressive one morning and thrash out of junctions nearly hitting the red line before changing gear and speeding and acting like the place is a racing track then I hit the numbers your talking about. I have driven 2000 miles + around france with the citigo full to bursting point with camping gear and one other person and I still got 80mpg on the motorways

All depends on your driving style mainly. Driving economically maked a clear difference to your mpg. For instance its roughly 10 miles to work for me on a morning with 30 and 40 zones and not many junctions or lights to contend with so of I drive like shall we say a normal person at the speed limits and changing gears around 3000rpm if not less then I can easilt be hitting 50+ if not a lot more but say im running late or feel aggressive one morning and thrash out of junctions nearly hitting the red line before changing gear and speeding and acting like the place is a racing track then I hit the numbers your talking about. I have driven 2000 miles + around france with the citigo full to bursting point with camping gear and one other person and I still got 80mpg on the motorways

So what your saying, is your average MPG is ****? :notme:

"I have driven 2000 miles + around france with the citigo full to bursting point with camping gear and one other person and I still got 80mpg on the motorways"

Almost impossible, what speed?

Best I ever got from my Citigo was 70mpg just for a short while. Whilst trying to acheive that magical figure I had to be travelling at around 50-60mph, on the flat and be very gentle with my right foot. As soon as I got out of that zone, braking changing down or accelerating the mpg would fall. No luggage, one passenger.

• Like 2

"I have driven 2000 miles + around france with the citigo full to bursting point with camping gear and one other person and I still got 80mpg on the motorways"

Best I ever got from my Citigo was 70mpg just for a short while. Whilst trying to acheive that magical figure I had to be travelling at around 50-60mph, on the flat and be very gentle with my right foot. As soon as I got out of that zone, braking changing down or accelerating the mpg would fall. No luggage, one passenger.

Must have been a typo?

I got 76mpg on regular unleaded going from my house to work once. 80mpg is possible, but I imagine it'd be at 50-55 in 5th gear most of the way! :P 

There is only one accurate method for measuring MPG.

Fill the car with fuel.

Reset the trip counter

Drive until the car needs refueling

Fill the tank

Get a full receipt that shows the number of litres purchased

Note the mileage on the trip counter

Stick the data in here...

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

There is only one accurate method for measuring MPG.

Fill the car with fuel.

Reset the trip counter

Drive until the car needs refueling

Fill the tank

Get a full receipt that shows the number of litres purchased

Note the mileage on the trip counter

Stick the data in here...

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

.....and your joy will turn to despair thinking, what the..........those claimed mpg figures by Skoda are a load of crap.. But look on the bright side, fuel prices are coming down. :dance: :dance:

• Like 1

My average mpg has been 54 over 7500 miles in a 60 ps S. All fill ups to the click off and mileage and litres logged on a spreadsheet. Max on any one tank just over 60, min 49. Most mileage is up 10 miles each way on B roads at 40/45 mph with weekly sprints on the A6 and A14.