Citigo MPG Issues

ChalmersCameron

There are some key driving styles for town, commuting, a roads but not motorways that can allow spirited driving but still see an increase in mpg's.

I like to drive faster than most, but I still pull 60mpg+ in every condition.

If I apply the rules 100%, 77mpg in moderate town traffic is easily possible; I can only do 68mpg in rush hour stop start congestion.

But most of the time 60mpg is easy.

I would love for some of you to try it and see how quickly your mpg's improve?

If anyone is interested I will type them out.

There are some key driving styles for town, commuting, a roads but not motorways that can allow spirited driving but still see an increase in mpg's.

I like to drive faster than most, but I still pull 60mpg+ in every condition.

If I apply the rules 100%, 77mpg in moderate town traffic is easily possible; I can only do 68mpg in rush hour stop start congestion.

But most of the time 60mpg is easy.

I would love for some of you to try it and see how quickly your mpg's improve?

If anyone is interested I will type them out.

Go for it!

34 mpg? What are you doing? Even on track I don't think mine dropped to your lowest!

In fact including how fast track day and the journey there and back (75-80 both ways) I still averaged 54ish

Also Google can help you to find tips for better fuel economy.

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/toptips.html

That covers it in a very simplistic form, 1+4 is a bit rubbish, but I would have written the same amount just on number 2.

I leave massive gaps compared to most, so that when someone stops in a chain to turn off left or right, I continue at the same speed and the gap closes. I ease off the instant I see brake lights in the chain ahead and accelerate slowly to increase the gap again.

The deal is - avoid where possible slowing down - because you need to speed up again.

Go fast round corners, go fast around roundabouts, go fast round bends. Basically - maintain your speed.

If you needed to BRAKE for any of those you didnt 'coast' for long enough before hand to reduce the speed enough, or you took the corner too slow.

in a citigo, you should be able to take most bends and roundabouts in at least 3rd. wide turnings too. its only, housing estate level, tight junctions you might need 2nd. but if you plan looking down the turn you can plan a longer wider, faster turn by straddling the lanes  - and maintaining the speed.

Proper road planning will mean you rarely need to alter your speed.

if you ease off in plenty of time to take a junction etc without braking - you will probably not have needed to come to a stop and stayed in a higher gear.

traffic lights for example - back off the cars in front, brake hard (different tip -bear with me) and maintain 3rd gear - aim to cross the lights on green without stopping.

the braking hard is to get the speed down, prolong the approach and aid continuing without going into low gears or needing much acceleration to keep with the traffic.

What the trial should be for those that are interested - do your normal commute - but DO NOT use your brakes (acceptable allowance, slow moving control, like stopping at a give way.)

to do this needs a lot of pre planning and judgement of the traffic ahead, if you avoid massive amounts of slowing down, and do this (avoid braking/stopping) - your mpg figure when you get home/work will be higher than normal.

for example. knowing your daily commute means you have no excuse for coming up to a set of lights at 60. you know they were there, coast early in anticipation of creeping up in 3rd or crossing still in 5th

dont drive 10ft behind someone else, leave a big gap when you know no one can pull out or overtake to fill the gap, close up when there is a popular junction for cars to pull out.

dont watch the guy in front. watch the car 6-10 cars in front. his driving speed changes will chain react and effect you. if a car 10 in front brakes. take your foot off the throttle asap.

and my biggest bug bear, if the car in front indicates left down a turn,  dont brake up behind them , look up the road and overtake - at the same speed! no braking no accelerating.

• Like 2

That last sentence of yours seems a dangerous manoeuvre, are you saying overtake at a junction?

I try most of the above, it works for me being light with the right foot on the gas pedal and brake. The one thing that infuriates me are the so labelled 'Sunday drivers' I don't know whether they are scared of speed or saving fuel, whatever I think they use more fuel with their driving habits. BTW  I'm no speed merchant, just like to move along as the speed limits allow.

I'm all for making as much space in front as possible. Gives you much more time to react, plan, and work your way through the System. This will generally help fuel yield. But

Go fast round corners, go fast around roundabouts, go fast round bends. Basically - maintain your speed.

If you needed to BRAKE for any of those you didnt 'coast' for long enough before hand to reduce the speed enough, or you took the corner too slow.

I take exception to. Never, ever should economy be prioritised over safety (or System or smoothness), and a hazard should always be taken at an appropriate speed in a suitable gear. Remember the human factor: amongst other things, you need time to correctly apply the information phase (observe, give signals) as you negotiate the hazard. Braking is a valid part of the speed phase, and using it correctly helps progress.

and my biggest bug bear, if the car in front indicates left down a turn,  dont brake up behind them , look up the road and overtake - at the same speed! no braking no accelerating.

Very risky. What if they abort the turn? Keep a good distance and reduce speed progressively. Give yourself time to handle a fluid situation.

Driving is an inherently costly activity. Sometimes the best choice is not the one that uses the least petrol.

Edited by ettlz
  • Like 1

I agree with the comments - when I say go fast , Yes safety first, but compared to the majority of people, the majority brake late, go very slow, and then speed up.

mostly by not looking and seeing whats on the island and planning and fear of grip maybe?

-

when a car turns left - its perfectly safe to overtake a slowing car. If it aborts - its already slowed and you are already past it. of course this assumes no traffic around and safe etc.

Its hard to convey situations correctly in text on a forum :)

when a car turns left - its perfectly safe to overtake a slowing car. If it aborts - its already slowed and you are already past it. of course this assumes no traffic around and safe etc.

Its hard to convey situations correctly in text on a forum :)

I know what you're trying to say but I still consider this to be a dangerous manoeuvre. We live just off a Red Route in Lincolnshire and one of the regular accidents we see is from cars turning left, the guy behind overtakes only for a car to turn right from the junction in front of the car that is about to turn left. The overtaking car then has a very nasty head on with the car that has just turned right (hopefully I've explained that clearly enough). Assuming you survive, you will no doubt be considered to be at fault by virtue of being on the wrong side of the road and overtaking in an inappropriate place.

Just a thought, the OP's post states "fully loaded" at the bottom; could that be the explanation for poor MPG?

Only joking!    Brakes sticking? Handbrake not freeing fully? Carefully finger-test each brake at end of journey, would expect fronts to be perhaps warm, but rears do very little work if one-up (ie. no passengers or boot load.)

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, thank you for all your suggestions. Took it into the dealer and at first they suggested nothing was wrong so asked for another Citigo same spec and engine and took on identical journeys swapping drivers and there was a 10-20mpg difference between mine and the garages so my car has been booked in to be looked at tomorrow! Mines been around 30mpg and the garages 50mpg, my car is on 7000 miles so broken in, garages was 700 miles so still breaking in. Same weight in each car and same amount of fuel. Couldn't do anymore than that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I know what you're trying to say but I still consider this to be a dangerous manoeuvre. We live just off a Red Route in Lincolnshire and one of the regular accidents we see is from cars turning left, the guy behind overtakes only for a car to turn right from the junction in front of the car that is about to turn left. The overtaking car then has a very nasty head on with the car that has just turned right (hopefully I've explained that clearly enough). Assuming you survive, you will no doubt be considered to be at fault by virtue of being on the wrong side of the road and overtaking in an inappropriate place.

I agree, not to be attempted if there is a car waiting to pull out of the same junction. I guess my roads are a lot quieter, and thats not often the case.

The person pulling out though would be at fault for pulling out without proper visibility I think? 50/50 result probably. You could easily have pulled out to find a car driving normally behind the turnee could you not?

• Like 1

Just a quick update, thank you for all your suggestions. Took it into the dealer and at first they suggested nothing was wrong so asked for another Citigo same spec and engine and took on identical journeys swapping drivers and there was a 10-20mpg difference between mine and the garages so my car has been booked in to be looked at tomorrow! Mines been around 30mpg and the garages 50mpg, my car is on 7000 miles so broken in, garages was 700 miles so still breaking in. Same weight in each car and same amount of fuel. Couldn't do anymore than that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weird then! be interesting to find out the issue.

• Like 1

I think I've got the same problem. I've had mine for a few weeks now and I'm getting low 30's. I've got a Monte Carlo and have been taking it very easy with the throttle. Would be very interested to see what they say about yours. I've got to pop back to the dealers next week and will mention it.

Are you using single-trip memory 1, or total-trip memory 2? I'm asking because those figures sounds like single-trip figures.

Being gentle with the throttle pedal isn't actually best for fuel economy. If possible push the pedal down at least half its travel when accelerating. This way engine works more efficiently. Less pumping losses you know.

Just driving as normal. Just making sure not to over 4k revs as per breaking in advice. Just drove the 10 miles home from work 35mpg. First 2 miles through the city were 21 mpg. In total I've done 193 miles at 36.6mpg.

They only thing I can think of is there has been a problem with my supplied PID. They have lent me an old one from an Octavia? Do you think this could be the problem?

Oddly my last trip was not very good, average 41mpg and only about 294 miles, which is shocking considering some manage up to 400 miles, the only thing I can think of is that my engine has been a bit temperamental lately on start up

Its your driving style - our ASG lives mostly on urban B & A roads and currently recording 53+mpg over the last 7,000miles

Defiantly not my driving style. I drive the same way along the same route in my Fabia and get 45mpg. Edited by glynnek