Citigo MPG Issues

ChalmersCameron

Petrol engines seem to suffer in this weather more than diesel.

Agreed, my mpg has dropped from 56 to 49 with all of the cold weather.

Edited by rm123

If its not driver style....... then it could only focus on fault of your Citigo.

We filled up on Christmas eve and been in the cold weather with lots of town urban driving and out tank is doing ok for the mileage on the trip so far

photoskoda_zps5382a9ad.jpg

nb. we are ASG elegance 75ps

Defiantly not my driving style. I drive the same way along the same route in my Fabia and get 45mpg.

ignore the PID al little - you should easily get 400miles on a tank fill. thats a good measure I feel.

as for over 4k rpm running in - I dont use over 2k when driving gently enough to achieve over 60mpg.

Does PID count long term consumption, or does it reset itself at every start? I don't have PID because I think it's expensive, but I have onboard computer. Onboard computer includes two sections. One is counting long term figures, another counts short term figures.

Long term consumption for my car is often 5 - 5.5 l/km, which is a bit over 50 mpg. Short term figures could be as high as yours 35 mpg.

Edit: I found user's manual for Move & Fun online: http://www.navigon.com/portal/common/Download/Manual/PNA/Skoda/MovexFun_UK.pdf

On page 96 is told how "trip computer" works. There is two computers: "since start" and "long term". I guess you are using short term (since start) if you only get 35 mpg or so.

I wonder how dealer didn't know this?

Edited by Emil

the pid works from the same data you see on the dash. so trip 1 is restarted after about an hour of engine off (I think) trip 2, I reset on each refill.

450 miles on a tank is normal, 400 for me is bad.

I realise now, a fair few of my miles are country A roads, its just I spend more TIME in town traffic! so its quite a smooth journey I do.

trip 2 does build up over the course of the tank, but I can do some individual trips that surpass it.

Just a quick update, thank you for all your suggestions. Took it into the dealer and at first they suggested nothing was wrong so asked for another Citigo same spec and engine and took on identical journeys swapping drivers and there was a 10-20mpg difference between mine and the garages so my car has been booked in to be looked at tomorrow! Mines been around 30mpg and the garages 50mpg, my car is on 7000 miles so broken in, garages was 700 miles so still breaking in. Same weight in each car and same amount of fuel. Couldn't do anymore than that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll be really interested to find out what outcome is. Did they find anything? I was concerned initially about fuel consumption on our Citigo. But when my wife started using it much more with her 50+ miles per day the averages increased from the 35-45mpg I was getting to around 48-50. Clearly she is a more economical driver than I am, although I think the roads we drive also makes a difference. Her commute is mostly rural A & B roads where as mine is town stop/start and a blast up dual carriageway with 5 roundabouts in 4 miles.

Lately our average is usually around 50-51 mpg when we fill up. But even when I'm driving economically I can't get some of the average figures others are getting, at least not if the journey involves any town driving.

Edited by EricArthur
  • Like 1

One of the big factors is journey distance. If you run from cold for a 4 mile journey where there is minimal engine load for most of it, you probably never get the oil anywhere near full working temperature and much of the fuel burnt will just be bringing the engine / coolant up to temperature. Under these conditions 35mpg is pretty respectable.

Agree Skoda do lie as do most other manufacturers :(

I don't think they do, but the test they do doesn't represent how a car will be actually be used  in "real life" motoring - so the numbers are correct but nobody drives the car as it is tested. But as all cars are tested in the same way you should be able to compare them. (this of course  doesn't work in the way it should.)  

WHAT THE NEDC TEST INVOLVES
• Conducted in a laboratory at 20-30 deg C on a flat rolling road
• No vehicle pre-warming allowed
• An electrical machine simulates wind resistance and vehicle inertia
• Air-conditioning compressor, fan, lights, radio and other electrical equipment switched off
• The urban test involves accelerating and slowing down several times, steady speeds and engine idling. It covers 2.5 miles at an average speed of 9mph and a maximum of 31mph
• The extra-urban test involves 50 per cent steady-speed driving plus some acceleration and slowing down and engine idling. It covers 4.3 miles at an average speed of 39mph and a maximum of 75mph
• The official combined figure is an average resulting from the urban and extra-urban tests, weighted by the distances covered.

Fantastic to work out the MPG from about 7miles of motoring  :nerd:
  • Like 1

The key to economy is to make steady progress. Better planning and observation are the key. I am an advanced test Driver I AM and have a PSV as I am a Bus driver. I see so many people racing to the Lights and then stop while I try to drive only stopping at Bus stops. I know the light sequences and try to anticipate what's going on, while trying to avoid three numptys who don't look any further than the end of the bonnet. My biggest irritation is drivers that block box junctions and then say it's not their fault. They clearly weren't looking and notice the car in front stopping.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't look at mpg on this I just enjoy the fun. (Compared to some other vehicle I own)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see you've even stopped mentioning it by name now. :swear::kiss:

• Like 1