Sunroof scare!

KBPhoto

Has anyone else experienced this?

Car was at the dealers on Thursday and I haven't used the sunroof since before then (not really been warm enough).

Noticed today that the sunroof dial was in the fully open position but roof was closed.

Engine was running at this point if that makes any difference.

Turned the dual to the closed position and nothing changed. Pressed the disk to open the rear edge and that worked fine. Closed the roof. All good.

Turned the dual half way. Roof slid open.

Turned all the way. Roof slid open.

Turned it back to closed and motor made a noise roof moved a centimetre forward then back again.

Same response from all positions. Panic starts to set in.

Engine off. Key out. Wait. Ignition back on.

Same response.

Engine on drive off with roof open. 100m up the road I turn the dual and roof closes.

That's where I've left it for now as I've got a busy evening.

Will scan it with VCDS tomorrow to see what's going on, but anyone experienced this or similar?

Why was the dial in the open position but the roof closed?

What might the dealer have done given that it went it for a Bolero firmware update and a look at the stone chips on rear doors?

The dial can be in the open position of the vehicle was locked and the lock button held down, as this action will close any open windows and also close the sunroof too but cannot adjust the dial.

Thats why the roof was closed with the dial in the open position.  :yes:

• Like 4

If it's sticking then it might be a good idea to spray the guides with silicon spray.  We don't have a sunroof on any of our cars, but have experienced problems with electric windows before that the silicon spray cured.

Macdemon: I do remember trying that auto closing method a couple of weeks back and that was probably the last time I used the sunroof.

Thanks. At least that explains that part.

Is it likely that is was a just 'out of sync' and I somehow reset it?

I'll have a play tomorrow and already have some Gumiepfledge to run over all the rubber seals. Starting with the roof I think. Thanks JulieD.

If the roof does the move a bit and then stop thing when trying to close it to motor maybe overheating and shutting down.

Did you open it fully and then try and close it? Mine didn't like doing that and would refuse to close, give it 5 mins and it would close without a problem. Had the dealer look at it and I think they realigned greased the runners, seemed to cure it.

Same problem today.

First five of the opening settings seem fine, but the sixth (the widest) caused the same issue with closing it.

The really bizarre bit is that with the engine running and the vehicle stationary, it wouldn't close.

But, and this was a suggestion from my 9 yr old son, as soon as the vehicle moves it will close without issue!

With the window open I moved the vehicle forward about 6 feet and during that time turned the roof dial to fully closed and it did.

Can anyone explain that phenomena?

PS: it's been too cold to go out and treat the rubber seals today. That'll have to wait.

It might be worth asking advice from the dealer about using silicone spray on the sunroof guides.

I had problems with the pano sunroof on my Tiguan an was told, in no uncertain terms, NOT to use silicone spray or any other lubricant.

It went in to be checked as it was juddering and the whole roof subframe was replaced..... In fact replaced three times as it kept cracking!

They still insist not to lube it yourself.

Hi KBP, this sounds like a sync problem after battery has been unplugged when sunroof has been open. It must be "re-booted" which is quite a simple thing to do. Method is on the owners manual.

Switch on the engine. Close the sunroof and blind. Pull down and forward the opening switch for ten seconds. The roof opens and closes. Then push the blind switch for ten sec. The blind opens and closes. Job done.

• Like 1

I did wonder if it was a synchronisation issue similar to the windows after disconnecting the battery; but the windows are fine and the battery hasn't been disconnected.

I'll give your information a try and have a look in my user manual as I don't recall seeing that when I looked.

When you say 'blind switch' is that the buttons to close the blind?

Thank you.

My replacement sub frames were under the VW three year warranty. Fortunately I took the five year warranty and although one dealer told me it's not covered under the extended warranty, a dealer of much longer standing told me it certainly is!

In the light of this i'll keep the Tig a bit longer as I was going to lose £14k in the 18 months since I bought the car.

When I do change to a Yeti, which I have to say I loved when I borrowed one for two half days on test, I won't need to spend approx £4k on options, which are of no part ex value, as most are slandard on the Yeti.

Hi KBP, this sounds like a sync problem after battery has been unplugged when sunroof has been open. It must be "re-booted" which is quite a simple thing to do. Method is on the owners manual.

Switch on the engine. Close the sunroof and blind. Pull down and forward the opening switch for ten seconds. The roof opens and closes. Then push the blind switch for ten sec. The blind opens and closes. Job done.

Tried that out today and, so far, it seems to be working (at least 4 out of 5 tries).

Thanks for the heads up about this.