CR170 battery type - is it an 096 ?

muddyboots

Hi all

Has anyone changed the battery in their Yeti, if so, can you confirm an 096 is the correct type ?

It's a 2011 CR170 if that makes any difference, although I think they're all the same type physically.

It's what's being recommended by various online sites, just wanted to double check if poss.

Ta :)

Thanks. Have you changed yours and confirm it physically fits ?

Euro Car Parts sell batteries through Amazon, much cheaper than direct on their own website.

The Bosch S5 096 battery (5yr warranty) is £106 on ECP website, but £88 sold by ECP through Amazon (with free delivery).

Just scroll down in the ECP link & you'll see the dimensions all laid out for you.

All 096 batteries are supposed to be exactly the same size.... I can't imagine Bosch doing anything different. I've used Bosch guarantee in the past - absolutely no quibble, gave me a new same spec battery when previous one failed just 3 months before end of guarantee.

Interesting to hear about things being cheaper on their Amazon adverts. Watch the battery capacity, some are 56Ah, some are 60Ah. The latter give more cold cranking power.

I measured up the battery in the car earlier, and it just seemed a little shorter & narrower.

I fully expect that's because I can only see the top, and not the bottom where it's wider - so should be OK - just wanted to double check, as it would be a pain having to send a car battery back...

Also the OE battery doesn't mention the "096" type anywhere, just the VAG part no.

The Bosch S5 096 is 77Ah, 780 CCA.

I'm considering changing my (petrol) Yeti's battery as it's becoming quite sluggish from cold. It was first registered April 2010 and I was hoping to have got a longer life from it - batteries usually last me 6 or 7 years, not just 4 1/2. I do 10,000 miles a year, and normally take reasonable care of my battery

Obviously a car that does high daily mileage will maintain its battery in better condition that a car that's used only for short runs with a lot of electrics in use (heated seats & heated rear window are particularly hungry).

How long have other folk got from their original battery?

Well mine's a 2011.. and it was dead this morning.

Admittedly it's been stood for 4 or 5 days as I've been stuck at home following a knee op.

Charged it up and it's started OK now - but doesn't bode well for the rest of winter when the temps get even lower and I'll be using my heated seat a lot!

Car has ticked over 40k now, about 11k of which were covered by me since I bought it earlier this year.

As I intend to keep the car for another 3 or 4 years, the battery is bound to fail at some point, so I might as well stick a good one in it now that will last through my ownership, rather than wait till I'm stuck somewhere.

Also, seen various posts about odd issues that seem to be related to the battery (even if they seem to be working OK). Some of the battery reviews I've read mention that changing batteries has fixed odd problems on other cars too.

• Like 1

Just phoned Lookers Skoda in Stockport to check fitment....  "the battery for a Yeti is a 075, same for petrol or diesel".

Tried another dealer parts dept - its a 096.

I then put the car details into the parts finder thingy on eBay.....  some results show 075, some show 096. I've not compared dimensions yet, but......

Sometimes a simple job ........ !

Edited by speedsport

My battery needed changing after 2 yrs 3 months. I replaced it with a Varta Silver 096 - 74Ah and 5 year guarantee - fits perfectly - http://www.tayna.co.uk/Type-096-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-Car-Battery-P3197.html

Note not all 096 batteries have the same dimensions - maybe length and width, but the height can vary.

Just phoned Lookers Skoda in Stockport to check fitment....  "the battery for a Yeti is a 075, same for petrol or diesel".

Tried another dealer parts dept - its a 096.

I then put the car details into the parts finder thingy on eBay.....  some results show 075, some show 096. I've not compared dimensions yet, but......

Sometimes a simple job ........ !

Oh c*ck. I've just ordered an 096...

With some modification to the battery, battery tray and the locking tabs at the bottom of the battery, it is possible to install a 315mm long battery.
I have installed a Varta 80Ah AGM. Downside is I no longer can use the nice 3-part plastic battery cover nor the soft battery cover :no:
Battery tray is made for L:178mm, W:175mm, H190mm. 
I received my yeti with a 62 Ah battery.  But I think scandinavian yetis with 2 ltr diesels are equipped with 74 Ah.
I replaced the battery after installing the webasto heater.

Edited by 175GDY

Good spot on the price comparison muddyboots.

I put a Bosch in my VW Touran when it was 8 years old. This was on the advice of a friend who is the service manager for a large Audi dealership in London.

For all of his private work he uses Eurocarparts when possible, and only fits Bosch batteries.

On another note regarding batteries and guarantees. My late father worked for the CEGB [produced electricity for the National Grid]. The power station he worked at had a contract with a local battery supplier. They used a bank of batteries on the emergency generator. a V16, 16,000cc turbocharged train engine. I remember him asking the difference between the batteries with different coloured casings/tops, red, blue and gold I think. Nothing was the reply, you are just buying a warranty.

Colin

The Bosch S5 (096) can be had for £80 including delivery...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291206110987

It is also well known that the Varta E44 is exactly the same battery as the Bosch S5 but with a different label on the side! Over £10 cheaper too at £69.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Type-096-Varta-Silver-E44-Heavy-Duty-Car-Battery-77AH-SIZE-096-/281521129849?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item418bf78979#ht_798wt_1275

Wish I'd known this before ordering the Bosch a few days ago!

Edited by silver1011

Thanks. Have you changed yours and confirm it physically fits ?

Euro Car Parts sell batteries through Amazon, much cheaper than direct on their own website.

The Bosch S5 096 battery (5yr warranty) is £106 on ECP website, but £88 sold by ECP through Amazon (with free delivery).

Following the link Chris posted at the top it is £74.40 with free delivery or click+collect from ECP according to my PC.

Are there any concerns when changing the battery in a Yeti? Such as lose of radio etc. If so what precautions are required?

Doesn't seem to be.

The radio isn't coded as such, but "interrogates" the ECU and sets itself.

I just changed the battery on our Octavia Scout.

The radio presets remained however the clock needed resetting.

As did the 'one shot' electric windows. Holding the switches up for a few seconds after the windows had closed did the trick.

I'm considering changing my (petrol) Yeti's battery as it's becoming quite sluggish from cold. It was first registered April 2010 and I was hoping to have got a longer life from it - batteries usually last me 6 or 7 years, not just 4 1/2. I do 10,000 miles a year, and normally take reasonable care of my battery

Obviously a car that does high daily mileage will maintain its battery in better condition that a car that's used only for short runs with a lot of electrics in use (heated seats & heated rear window are particularly hungry).

Hi I've changed, by myself, 2 batteries on a yeti CR 2010, the first I choosed was a Varta (same amp of the original Bosch) later I changed the Varta with a..... (don't remeber now) with bigger capacity.

The sock of the battery permits to insert a battery longer (lenght) than the original but you will leave away the carpet cover. Actually my battery is bare now!

The last of a battery will depend on how good is manufactered and how big is the fate of the purchaser!

ciao

Has anyone fitted a 096 (77Ah) battery in place of the standard 027 (63Ah) that's normally fitted to a 1.8 PETROL Yeti? (The 096 is the standard diesel fitment)

They are the same width & height, but the 096 is 278mm long, whereas the 027 is 242mm long and it looks as though it might not then be possible to clip the original plastic box around the longer battery.

Edited by speedsport