Fault Codes..

Have the connector plug in the drivers door disconnected at the moment as the usual suspect wire is dead again and I have to make up a replacement wire/pin to sort it so last time I ran diagnostics i got two related fault codes

Aside from that over the last couple of months I had trouble starting the car every now and then. Usually just after a short run like to the garage for petrol or smokes. Would start with jump leads but I figured the battery was shot so stuck in a new one couple weeks back.

Didnt have a repeat until one evening week or so back wouldnt start again. Left it for about 20-30 mins and then tried it agin and did start. Have had a sneaking suspicion that Ive a problem with the control module behind the dash under the steering wheel (i think)

Anyway today on the way home from work the engine warning light came on...I drove home gently and borrowed my mates vag-com

Ran auto-scan and got 15new faults and to my amateur eye they all look connected...

Pic1

Pic2

At a guess it looks as if something is shorting out somewhere? Do the faults look as though they are all related or could be down to the same problem??

Is there any way of further pinpointing what exactly is the root cause bar getting under the bonnet???

Hope the links work ok! Thanks in advance:)

Edited by huwants2no

Did you do a code read and clear when you fitted the new battery?, as some of those relate to low voltage and may be old. What is the condition of your Y pipe?.

No didnt do that. Did a read not too long before though and the only 2 faults were the 2 relating to the drivers door plug problem.

Had a quick look/feel of the Y-pipe but didnt notice or feel a split. was chucking it down so didnt spend too long outside

Just been checking through those codes, and if it was my car I would start by pulling the ecu power relay and having a good look at the terminals for burning or signs of shorting It is under the bonnet on r/h side on back bulkhead in same box as sai relay. I will try to get a piccie if you don't already know where it is.

Just been checking through those codes, and if it was my car I would start by pulling the ecu power relay and having a good look at the terminals for burning or signs of shorting It is under the bonnet on r/h side on back bulkhead in same box as sai relay. I will try to get a piccie if you don't already know where it is.

Is it under the scuttle panel?

Im pretty clueless when it comes to electrics etc do the relays just pop out like fuses? should i be disconnecting the battery checking stuff like that??

sorry for all the Q's  only leccy bits ive ever messed with was the plug in the drivers door

When did you last clean the scuttle panel drains?, does this play up when or after it has been raining?.

try to keep an eye on them as ive read the trouble they can cause. have cleaned them out a few times now. had the panel off few times cause ive had trouble with wiper linkage and motor jamming up. 

its never done this before rain or no rain! light came on today leaving work and ran the vagcom couple hours ago now. has been fairly dry last few days too

Thanks to Rob for the picture http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/242144-n249-system-removal-required-items/ post #10 shows the relay location.

great thanks for that. ill pop it out and have a look tomorrow

I think your eml has come on due to some fault in either your dump valve or the piping to it. I also think you may have 2 problems alongside each other so 2 cures.

will have a close look round after work and think i can get my hands on a spare DV to pop in and check codes again to see if mines faulty.

i thought all the "short to ground" bits in the fault codes meant that something was shorting out somewhere and possibly was why it mentioned low voltage too. time will tell i guess!

not what i was hoping for off Santa,maybe he'll bring the fix later in the month :o

thanks so much for all the help. its always appreciated from across the water :thumbup:  :thumbup:

The short to grounds according to the program I am using to follow their course all seem to see a power short to the ecu, As that relay controls power to the ecu, that is a good place to start, otherwise it is tracing the circuits and looking for shorts with a meter - not nice this time of year. :thumbdown:

The short to grounds according to the program I am using to follow their course all seem to see a power short to the ecu, As that relay controls power to the ecu, that is a good place to start, otherwise it is tracing the circuits and looking for shorts with a meter - not nice this time of year. :thumbdown:

:peek: not nice any time of year lol i hate electrics :thumbdown:  :envy: fingers crossed for a grubby relay then although i fear theres more to it.

the CCU thingy under steering wheel behind facia,would that have relays on it too or would it be connected directly to ECU also. im convinced theres a problem there but dont know what to look for really

CCU tends to control body functions like locking, windows, mirrors etc, whereas the ECU tends to have direct control over engine and immobiliser functions. As most of your codes are engine related, I would be less inclined to suspect the CCU.

You are really looking for things like obvious burning of the relay socket terminals, or signs of mega water corrosion damage - green poo every where.

CCU tends to control body functions like locking, windows, mirrors etc, whereas the ECU tends to have direct control over engine and immobiliser functions. As most of your codes are engine related, I would be less inclined to suspect the CCU.

You are really looking for things like obvious burning of the relay socket terminals, or signs of mega water corrosion damage - green poo every where.

ok makes sense there. labtop battery dying now too lol 

Ill post what i find tomorrow,hopefully something helpful!!

Well the relay and its terminal look fine. no signs of burning or melting or any other obvious sign.

a guy i spoke to today reckoned it could have something to do with recently changing the battery...said he had something similar one time but I dont really trust the fella as his car is a disaster!

Can i clear the fault codes to see if they pop up again?

Any other relays/fuses to check? all suggestions most welcome!!

I would definitely start by clearing the codes, the battery ones should not come back and what you are left with should be actual faults. The eml may be related to the non start or may not. get the codes cleared, use it 2 or 3 days rescan and post back and I'll try and help you. Don't think I'm ignoring you Saturday and Sunday as I'm in hospital for an op mate - should be out next week though.

I would definitely start by clearing the codes, the battery ones should not come back and what you are left with should be actual faults. The eml may be related to the non start or may not. get the codes cleared, use it 2 or 3 days rescan and post back and I'll try and help you. Don't think I'm ignoring you Saturday and Sunday as I'm in hospital for an op mate - should be out next week though.

Thanks for the quick reply. Will do as you suggest and see how we go. 

Hope its nothing serious and all goes well for you!

Youve been a big help :thumbup:

• 3 months later...

Should have updated this thread ages ago.apologies...

Picked up a fuel pump relay from a scrappy for €10 as against €75 the local skoda dealership wanted. Cleared the codes and popped it in and all sorted:)

No codes back since either

Big thanks to Kentphil for all the help on this!!