Battery dies overnight

Hey guys I need some help. Purchased a fabia 1.4 Mpi estate last week and all was well until a couple of days ago. Overnight it seems like my battery dies and will only start with a jump. No lights are left on and radio dies as soon as ignition is off. Please help :(

How old is the battery?

Something could be draining the battery- check with an amp meter  when every thing is off to see if any current is still being drawn. Check the boot light is not on.

The battery might not be hold it's charge - new battery required

Check that the alternator is charging the battery at just over 14v when the engine is running.

• Like 1

The battery looks fairly new. Took it out today and checked it all looks fine. Took it to halfords and they plugged it in and the guy says there is something staying on when ignition is off that's draining the power. Boot lights go off when engine down radio stays off lights off. It's very frustrating and I'm not that mechanically knowledgable.

The battery looks fairly new. Took it out today and checked it all looks fine. Took it to halfords and they plugged it in and the guy says there is something staying on when ignition is off that's draining the power. Boot lights go off when engine down radio stays off lights off. It's very frustrating and I'm not that mechanically knowledgable.

Did the guy at Halfords check for 'something' staying on or was he assuming this is the case? Aftermarket stereos and alarm systems can sometimes case a drain. Is there any electrical non Skoda items fitted to the car that might be causing a drain?

The only real solution is a mulitmeter with an amp meter range and start pulling fuses until you find the circuit that is causing the drain.

I have an aftermarket headunit but as soon as I turn the ignition off there doesn't seem to be any power to it. It won't turn on. And it was a speculation as he asked me to turn my headlights on and off but the checker didn't recognise my lights went off:( I have decided to disconnect the positive battery cable over night so I can hopefully start it tommorow

Make sure the battery is fully charged, take it off and charge it properly, since you've only just bought the car you can't know if the car was just used for very short trips or had been standing for a while.

It would take a considerable load to drain a battery overnight.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my fabia. I spoke to my local skoda dealer (very unhelpful) and my local garage said scrap it!!  i have done the fuse test brand new battery brand new alternator now and brand new starter no boot light fitted no stereo fitted interior light switched off no optional extras on the car at all leave it over night with the battery lead on and hey presto flat battery in the morning Oh and the battery has been tested and its larger than the car needs and is very healthy as its brand new.its also a gutless wonder a 1400 petrol should pull very well but it does not pull as well as a 16 year old felicia 1300  Im coming to the conclusion that i shouldnt of got rid of my felicia as these modern skodas seem to be total crap and over complicated junk that are not worth the metal they are built of..  My felicia had done 200000 miles 1300 petrol base model and from new only cost me £60 in parts just the rust bug took over. But this crappy fabia is a money pit thats just horrible, gutless, leaks, slow, feels unsafe at anything over 40 mph,oh and drinks fuel like a v8 (30 to the gallon max)  and will not pull my little trailer in anything above third gear on the level  and has put me off of newer skodas for life!!        my skoda is a 2 owner 70 000 mile full service history X reg  1400cc petrol    

it's a matter of elimination.

Three possibilities.

1) - low charge rate - test with a meter on engine revs about 2000 ,with full load ( headlamps/ heater/rear screen heater/radio /hazards /foglamps) -voltage should be around 13.8volts.

2) - Duff battery.

3) car voltage leaks.

Start off with fully charged battery. Disconnect from car - then connect prior to starting. Start =y , battery OK( so 2] is wrong) - , suggest leaks. Start =N,=duff battery.

The problem with leaks is that there is no guide to circuits powered when the ignition is off, apart from searching through Haynes, and seeing which things don't work with ignition off. e.g. heater works ONLY with ignition on - find fuse- so that fuse can be ignored /left in ,initially.

• 2 weeks later...

But this crappy fabia is a money pit thats just horrible, gutless, leaks, slow, feels unsafe at anything over 40 mph,oh and drinks fuel like a v8 (30 to the gallon max)  and will not pull my little trailer in anything above third gear on the level  and has put me off of newer skodas for life!!        my skoda is a 2 owner 70 000 mile full service history X reg  1400cc petrol    

All cars are money pits and they are ridiculously over-complicated nowadays. Sometimes I hanker after having my Talbot Sunbeam back as it was so simple to fix and nice to drive, but it rotted faster than Shane MacGowan's teeth  :D

The MPI is slow for sure but mine cruises really nicely at 70mph. It could certainly pull a small trailer without any problem at all. It certainly doesn't feel unsafe at anything over 40 mph, there must have been some issues with yours. Anyway, I don't suppose you care anymore now it's gone to scrapyard heaven :giggle: