Rattling/squeeking rear shelf - not a combi :)

ladasik

Hi, is there any home remedy for squeeking/rattling/noisy rear shelf ? I have tried putting cloth on the hinge that shelf is fixed on, vaseline in hope that it will prevent squeeking on that hinge, lifting the shelf by putting something directly underneath it...and it jus drives me crazyyyyyyy....any one else has the same problem ? Or maybe someone has fix it with a success ? Or is a new shelf the only option ?? 

I really hope that someone has similar problems which would mean that I'm not insane :)

• Like 1

I found that thin rubber strips glued along the ledges that the shelf sit on did the trick. This raised it slightly and stopped any rattle. Have you taken the shelf out and shaken it as mine has the built in screen which had a few "foreign bodies" in it. 

Just in case. I did have another squeak which appeared to come from the nearside rear seat where it joins the shelf ledge - the plastic molding was touching the seat belt assembly, if you get a passenger to push on it you can find the exact spot to sort. I did this with the nearside folded sitting on the other side.

Exactly as above.

I wrapped the two lugs in electrical tape for a tighter fit - fail.

I then wiped some grease on the lugs - fail.

I then rubbed some Gummi Pfledge on the thin ledges that the parcel shelf sits on - fixed!! 

• Like 1

Seeing as i have the same issue with the rattle from the parcel shelf i might try the Gummi Pfledge technique myself. It seems to be the only rattle i have in the car. :)

• Like 1

I have another squeak that has dragged on for years but  only during warmer weather. It originates from the joint between the trim around the Columbus where it meets the gear change assembly. I have tried all sorts of wedges all around that area but to no avail. 

I had the same irritating problem that took ages to find - I finally resolved it by cutting up some anti slip rubber mats, like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Multipurpose-Non-Slip-Mat-Furniture/dp/B00AVJ9GBY/ref=pd_sim_kh_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=0A7G36NJ3HBB3R1H3TNC

I initially glued some along the sides and then cut some smaller bits and placed them around the locating lugs whilst pushing the parcel shelf back into position - noise gone.

Edited by 999smiler

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved with draught seals , they are made from nice soft rubber and D or P frofile will do the job :) oh and i got my house doors "sealed" as well so 2 birds with one stone :) happy days

• Like 1