Things to think about when collecting car at dealers

Suprc

Hello everybody! (Dr. Nick Rivera from the Simpsons)

Have ordered the car shown in my profile.

Waiting for the dealer to ring me about date of collection.

What advice do you experienced people have for me and anyone in this position, what to ask, think about, take with at the dealer when collecting the car? Some, for example, say that you should ask for the sat nav DVD.

Thanks in advance

Having picked up a number of vehicles over the years I do the following:

Check the car over thoroughly, check paintwork, including roof. ( have had damaged paint on roof - VW) ask in advance to have the car undercover and dry to ensure you can do this properly - many dealers do this anyway.

Ask for list of any remedial work done during PDI- many cars have minor ( and sometimes not so minor) work done at dealer before they are released

Check alloys all ok. ( have had scratched alloy which I insisted was changed before I drove away -Audi)

Check with dealer which service schedule the car is on e.g. Variable able or fixed

Check all extras are present e.g. Mats, spare wheel etc.

Ask for confirmation that the tyre pressures have been checked - most times I have double checked when I got home and they were wrong- one had nearly 50psi (skoda), another had set the pressures for a different wheel/ tyre combination to that fitted and were 8 psi too low (vw)

If you have a phone you want paired, get them to show you how before you drive off- they do it all the time so should be a quick job

If you have media interface, check you have a cable to fit your device

• Like 1

There is no sat nav DVDs these days. On a practical note I asked for all the delivery check sheets and Auto Glyn, if you have ordered it certificate to show that it had been done correctly, oh and a full tank of fuel.

Sound advice above from Bristolf2b especially if you have ordered any extras - I had to return a car before because factory extras were not included which was very disappointing

Also, check that all the electrics do actually work.  I know this sounds unusual on a new car but sometimes electrical connections on electric windows, heated seats, mirrors etc may not have been connected properly at the factory. There are a lot of electrics on the Superb and I presume the 'Tre Kronor Edition' is the top end version in Sweden so you will have lots of toys! 

Check the levels on the bi-xenon headlights as sometimes these can be set too low at the factory. Are there stricter requirements for daytime lighting in Sweden and has the car been modified for this? 

The MFD button on the steering wheel didn't work properly when I picked my car up and this is a known fault so make sure that both buttons work for the all the functions - phone, radio etc

Most importantly, insist on driving the car yourself before you officially take delivery of the car to check for any of these issues and to ensure that you happy with the car.  You should be offered this by the dealer anyway.  The dealer should of course do a full handover of the vehicle and take you through all of the functions and workings and explain things like the DPF filter etc.

• Like 2

Check the levels on the bi-xenon headlights as sometimes these can be set too low at the factory.etc.

Second this-my six month old ex-demo Superb had the lights too low, also still had the transport blocks in front suspension!

Both sorted with no quibble by the dealer, although both should have been checked/corrected at both the initial PDI and the second one before handing over used vehicle.

Second this-my six month old ex-demo Superb had the lights too low, also still had the transport blocks in front suspension!

The suspension blocks have been an issue for a few members on here.  Potentially very dangerous if these are not removed.  They will be visible as plastic blocks located between the coils on the suspension.

Not something you can check for (I think), but a hilarious story anyway...

My mate bought a Fiat Grande Punto from the dealer. His 1st car. Brand new.

He signs the papers, a few weeks later they call him up and tell him they screwed up on the order package, and the price is actually about 100€'s more.

He's ****ed off ofcourse, but he tells them he'll pay the difference, but he would like some compensation for this. So they offer a few gadgets from the Fiat accessory store, a bottle of wine when he goes to pickup the car, and also a full tank of fuel on delivery. He agrees, and all's well...

I knew he was going to pickup the car at 4pm, at 1620 I get a call from him..."can you come get me? I'm stuck at X"

Yep....he made it a whole 600 meters before the car crapped out on him...that's what happens, when the salesman fills a brand new DIESEL up with PETROL...

He tried to reject the car, no joy, so they fixed the problems and he send a letter to Fiat Corporate telling them it's their liability if this car develops engine problems later in it's life. Last I heard it's still running...but still a very ****ty situation at the time. Remember feeling gutted for him. We laugh about it now though :p

Edited by Too Tall

I had my Candy white combi delivered from Simpsons(Preston), should have arrived 14.30 arrived 18.30, near side rear interior light missing, plastic rear tailgate top side pieces falling out where the tailgate motors had been recalibrated metal mounting clips missing? the valet was shocking also water stains on the leather crumbs on the carpet, who had done the PDI on this vehicle? all sorted with phone calls to Simpsons with work carried out at my local dealership (Motorline-Dartford) costs being picked up by Simpsons.

I have always had great service from Motorline, on my Mk1 Superb, Yeti, Octy or my new T3 combo.

• 2 weeks later...

If there has been any electrical fault in your car at delivery date, what were they? Typical things that they forget at the factory or mess up?

The same goes for the mechanical part?

And the visual part as well. For example scratches on door, wheels, peel-off etc?

Good advices so far, thanks!

Sent by Tapatalk