The New ŠKODA Superb, a new era?

ColinD

• Administrators

The countdown has begun: The new ŠKODA Superb is in the starting blocks. The completely redeveloped ŠKODA flagship has recently completed the final test series in Southern Europe, among other regions. The new ŠKODA Superb is the top model in the ŠKODA model range. With its new design language, new proportions, space, innovative technology, driving dynamics and build quality, the car has shifted to the upper end of the automotive mid-class.

• Expressive design, innovative MQB technology for “best ŠKODA ever”
  • World premiere in Prague in mid-February
  • New Superb successfully completes final technical inspection drives
  • post-6-0-12752100-1418288776_thumb.jpg

The new third-generation ŠKODA Superb offers the highest functionality with an improved package. The amount of space and boot size typical of a ŠKODA have once again increased, and set a new benchmark in the segment. Incorporating the Volkswagen Group’s MQB technology, the ŠKODA Superb brings qualities from higher vehicle classes into the automotive mid-class. The car offers the best values in terms of comfort, infotainment and connectivity, safety, eco-friendliness, consumption and performance.

“The new ŠKODA Superb is the best ŠKODA ever. This latest generation of our flagship will appeal to new groups of customers in the business and private sector. The qualities of the Superb emphasise the brand’s values and point to the future of ŠKODA,” said ŠKODA CEO Prof. Dr. h.c. Winfried Vahland.

The new ŠKODA Superb will receive its world premiere in mid-February 2015 in Prague. It will then be introduced at the Geneva Motor Show in early March. The market launch is planned for mid-2015 in Europe, with UK deliveries in the autumn. The ŠKODA Superb has formed the apex of ŠKODA’s model range since 2001. To date, the brand has delivered more than 700,000 first- and second-generation ŠKODA Superb models to customers all over the world.

With the content of that announcement being severely lacking in any really useful information, that could have been cut down to 2 short paragraphs.

I wonder if that paint will be an option   :D

I can't put my finger on what or why… but those pictures give me the feeling that perhaps Skoda are hoping to fill the gap in the market Saab left, before it gets forgotten.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

I can't put my finger on what or why… but those pictures give me the feeling that perhaps Skoda are hoping to fill the gap in the market Saab left, before it gets forgotten.

I can get a sense of Saab to it, the new 9-5 wouldn't be far off the same size etc.. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting view about the Superb filling the gap left by Saab. From my point of view, one of the reasons I chose a Superb recently was because it sits to one side of the accepted executive car market - that being BMW, M-Benz and Audi (with Jaguar, Volvo and Lexus around too). My SE reminds me in a good way of an A6 I had ten years ago.

If Skoda get the Superb right in terms of positioning, it could take a really strong place in the large/exec car section. The price needs to be right though. For me there's one car that is neither family (due to price) or exec (due to perception) and that is the Honda Accord. If Skoda get it right, I think they could hoover up some Honda owners, ex-Saabites, retain their current audience and more who realise (like I did) that you can pay £35k for the badge (Audi) or £27k for the same level of tech, intelligence and quality and be different into the bargain.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

"Available with a 2.0-litre turbo with 276bhp, four-wheel drive and a dual-clutch DSG gearbox" and looking like that, very tempting, but the £35k price tag not so !

That price isn't much more than the outgoing V6 & it will be cheaper to run. 

My current 2.0 TSi will be 4 years old in May 2016, so I'll b taking a serious look at the new car when

they hit the UK dealers.

DC