Vibration/Shudder when boosting.

LeezoG

Afternoon you helpful lot.  :p

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue with the VRS.

I got PD130 ASZ.

When driving along its fine but when I get to about 2k RM and start to hit the accelerator hard or gradually when the boost starts to kick in there's a vibration/Shudder and groan for about a 1.5secs or so then goes. Happens in 3rd, 4th and so on. Does do it in second if i try and floor it a bit lower down in the rev range. Does seem like it isn't pulling like it should tho I wouldn't know its the 1st Diesel I have owned and Only VRS I have Driven.

It annoying to say the least That search for perfection!. Anyone had this before, Thinking it could be boost leaking out causing the vibrations/noise.

Cambelt was done 4 weeks ago.

on 100200miles.

Only does it under load.

EGR nice and clean.

Maybe Dogbone mount or other mounts bush's? (Hopefully)

Turbo Failing (Hopefully not) lol

Over-boosting?? (Don't even know effects of that, Just seen the word thrown around a few times :peek: )

Clutch and DMF? (Tho Idles and revs fine no nasty noises)

Come at me BRISKODIANS! What you thinking?

LeezoG

Not what i wanted to here boys lol  :(

Tho it isn't slipping. Well i say that iv done the ol pull away in 3rd test and it stalls out right.

Bad times :(

i got a low mileage duel mass removed from standard car for sale cheap

fletch101

I kinda prefer that op[tion tho looking at the prices....Its made me feel jsut as sick lol....I hat ebeing on min wage with xmas round the corner and a little boy enroute....All I wanna do is spend on this car much to the Missus' dismay lol

Yea I been looking was nothing noticeable when I 1st looked at bottom hoses ect. Tho the top hose that connects to the EGR was blowing out a couple of centimeters so changed that and cleaned the EGR and the hose still done the same thing. cabled tied it and seems to be holding alot better. Think Im gonna have to have a major check around see whats up. maybe I/C off and clean it check if that's leaking, So so annoying. Would a boost leak cause vibration/shudder when boosting you think?

Falling into the trap of forever chasing boost leaks and perfect running lol

• 5 weeks later...

I had this shudder on front wheels for a while. It only happened on acceleration. The problem was a badly worn inner driveshaft on passenger side.I drive Octavia 1.9TDI automatic.

I had this shudder on front wheels for a while. It only happened on acceleration. The problem was a badly worn inner driveshaft on passenger side.I drive Octavia 1.9TDI automatic.

Good shout bud, Yea think my bearing has gone on one side that could be drive shaft cv related. Tho

Mine used to do a little drone when was booted at 2k was tailgate rattling with engine load turn your tailgate stops out half a turn each see if that helps hope it does worked on mine :)

Yea? Hopefully mate its a simple as that. Yea it does do it about 2k too. seesm to be getting worsde i been assuming its the DMF but open to trying things in  the man time before it goes.

they make tqo diff noises at diff times so something ill look into cheers buddy.

Hi mate,

I had a similar issue to this when I first got my vrs but it would lag and then dump some smoke then I'd get loads of boost all at once. Turned out to be overboosting caused by clogged veins in the turbo. I ended up taking it apart completely but there are turbo cleaners designed specifically for this job so they should work well. Anyway ever since it was cleaned out the rumbling and sound has been much more subtle however it is still there. You can easily check for overboosting by running a boost log in group 11 if you have vcds. Might not be your problem at all but worth checking.

Hope this helps

Hi mate,

I had a similar issue to this when I first got my vrs but it would lag and then dump some smoke then I'd get loads of boost all at once. Turned out to be overboosting caused by clogged veins in the turbo. I ended up taking it apart completely but there are turbo cleaners designed specifically for this job so they should work well. Anyway ever since it was cleaned out the rumbling and sound has been much more subtle however it is still there. You can easily check for overboosting by running a boost log in group 11 if you have vcds. Might not be your problem at all but worth checking.

Hope this helps

Yes buddy im getting round to all of the above. Just weathers horrendous at the mo. Ill keep that in mind and give it a bash Mr Muscle style!

does it vibrate though the car and sound like its coming from the passengerside? if so gearbox engine mount vibrating on chassis

You could be that mate, Tho just sounds like its coming from the front of the car, SO could be anything lol, Think its a matter of process of elimination. I am down on power so the sticky veins is a possibility, Tho Im not getting limp mode no matter how hard I hit it. Just a vibration and groan from like 2k to 3k then the power comes :/ But still not all the power i should have have. Ita ****ing me off now to be honest. Could be a boost leak causing overboosting. But again no limp mode. Gonna fit my silicone hoses and clean turbo this weekend so will go from there. :(

Overboosting doesn't cause limp mode in most cases, so my money would be on stickey veins. However you may have a boost leak as well 

Yea all seems connected bud, So ill have a crack at cleaning it per Mr Muscle Thread on here and keep you all posted

And the winner is.....

soul snatcher24

So at the weekend I done the "Mr Muscle" turbo treatment per thread on here, Worked a charm....the vibration has been resolved tho as SoulSnatcher says it hasnt gone completely but alot! and my boost delivery is much smoother and consistent. 

Tho all the power isn't back its still lacking it feel so think i do also have a boost leak ill be addressing next weekend now. Thanks for the replies all. You been great!!

LeezoG

Haha glad you got it sorted mate :) I have since checked my gearbox mount just in case that's what's causing the faint vibration but all looks ok.

probably worth looking for oil residue on your boost pipes connections, this normally points to where it's leaking from

Yea was all over it this weekend. Seems there a bit of oil residue on the lower intercooler hose. But ill be replacing all the top hoses from EGR to I/C next weekend and go from there. Iv cable tied the crap out of it lol. Tho can hear the air rushing out from somewhere just cant pinpoint it sounds like its coming from the EGR area. So annoying.

Yeh the standard pipework is a pain in the arse, I ended up replacing all of it when I got my front mount. So much easier with proper silicone bends etc. best thing to do is give all the connections a wiggle and if they move then give them the cable tie treatment, I even ended up gluing some of mine with msi mega bond lol