Fog lights

Hyeung

Hi,

I notice a bulb failure today on the front right side fogs. Lasted about 20k and slightly over 2 years.

Just wondered how long the fog bulbs have lasted in average as I would thought they'd last slightly longer?

I heard in the past changing front lights is a bit of a weird one as the bumper had to be removed for access!? Can someone confirm if the fog lights are a simple replacement as I probably plan to pop by the dealer and have them replace it.

Although only one side has failed, I assume its best practice to replace the fog lights in both sides at the sametime?

Thanks,

Hung

I'm assuming your Yeti has it's cornering fog light function enabled?

This means the bulbs get used a lot more than on those models without this feature, hence their shorter than expected life span.

See here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/297482-typical/?hl=%2Bfog+%2Blights#entry4008726

Edited by silver1011

Yeah I do have cornering fog lights that are enabled....probably explains the frequent use when the main lights are on.

As I don't turn the fogs on any other time.

Mine's 4 years old and still on the original fog light bulbs, with cornering facility commenced after 1 year.

Don't know who told you that the bumper has to be removed but they were wrong. They are changed from inside the engine compartment, just like the headlight bulbs. I believe it may be different on the facelift model.

I have a 2010 model 62 plate. So are we saying all front bulbs - fogs, daytime running, indicators etc are all easily accessible via the engine compartment.

Yeah it's exactly what I thought in terms of the timespan? Would have thought they'd last longer....

But as a consumable it's not gonna be a warranty replacement. Not gonna argue much for cost of a set of bulbs at a few quid.

I'll probably disable the corner lights next time round.

Hi,

I notice a bulb failure today on the front right side fogs. Lasted about 20k and slightly over 2 years.

Just wondered how long the fog bulbs have lasted in average as I would thought they'd last slightly longer?

I heard in the past changing front lights is a bit of a weird one as the bumper had to be removed for access!? Can someone confirm if the fog lights are a simple replacement as I probably plan to pop by the dealer and have them replace it.

Although only one side has failed, I assume its best practice to replace the fog lights in both sides at the sametime?

Thanks,

Hung

You can change the front lights H7 from the motor compartment, it's a bit annoying because H7 has got 3 pin plate and you have to set them in the right position, there is no metal clamp to stick the base of the lamp in position and it's difficult to see the workspace because of the narrow area; have good luck.

2-3 years with cornering lights is normal lifespan....!

I have a 2010 model 62 plate. So are we saying all front bulbs - fogs, daytime running, indicators etc are all easily accessible via the engine compartment.

Yeah it's exactly what I thought in terms of the timespan? Would have thought they'd last longer....

But as a consumable it's not gonna be a warranty replacement. Not gonna argue much for cost of a set of bulbs at a few quid.

I'll probably disable the corner lights next time round.

Head, side, fog and DRL are all replaced via the engine compartment.

Indicator is via the wheel arch, requires a special kit and is probably better done by a dealer.

It is explained in my Handbook, perhaps it is in yours.

Thanks!

Hey, rather than changing just the failed bulb, it it sensible to replace both sides at the sametime?

Head, side, fog and DRL are all replaced via the engine compartment.

Indicator is via the wheel arch, requires a special kit and is probably better done by a dealer.

It is explained in my Handbook, perhaps it is in yours.