225 45 R18 Summer tires?

Kestutis

Could not resist and bought these:

post-119004-0-52898400-1418650539_thumb.jpg

Got them polished and prepared for the summer.

Now I need to get new tires, as those, that are on the wheels are already tired.

I know that the standard size for superb is 225 40 R18, but i do not want to loose comfort and pot hole resistance compared to R17.

Did a little investigation and found out that:

*Dealer says that this difference in diameter will not have any impact to handling, ESP or ABS.

*Insurance says that they do not mind the different tire size.

*The speedometer will show exact speed, because at the moment it is calibrated to show 5 km/h less.

So the only thing that puts me back is that the 225/45 are about 50 eur for one tire dearer than 225/40 (goodyear efficientgrip performance)

I would like to know if anyone has fitted the 225/40 R18 and do you feel any difference from standard tire? 

• 5 weeks later...

Could not resist and bought these:

attachicon.gif2014-12-15 14.04.00.jpg

Got them polished and prepared for the summer.

Now I need to get new tires, as those, that are on the wheels are already tired.

I know that the standard size for superb is 225 40 R18, but i do not want to loose comfort and pot hole resistance compared to R17.

Did a little investigation and found out that:

*Dealer says that this difference in diameter will not have any impact to handling, ESP or ABS.

*Insurance says that they do not mind the different tire size.

*The speedometer will show exact speed, because at the moment it is calibrated to show 5 km/h less.

So the only thing that puts me back is that the 225/45 are about 50 eur for one tire dearer than 225/40 (goodyear efficientgrip performance)

I would like to know if anyone has fitted the 225/40 R18 and do you feel any difference from standard tire? 

I'm having the same thought as you - going to 225/45/18, instead of the regular 225/40/18.

I want to upgrade from 17'' 225/45 to 18'', but the 225/40 is a very narrow section, so I would like to go for 225/45.

What have you decided/ bought ? 

Later edit: just went to a tire compare tool. 

It seems that 225/45/18 is way different than 225/40/18, it's a 1cm difference in side-wall height, so it has a big impact 

Guest Cossiecol

I have only ever had the 225/40/18 on my Superb. The original fit were were Conti's. I have recently changed to Goodyear Eagle F1 Assy 2 and immediately noticed the ride is smoother and quieter. If this helps.

+1 for the Goodyear, the difference is night and day (on my Oct vRS)

I am toying with the idea of getting 225/45R18 too, but the tight gap between the tyre and wheel arch (fender) do not give me the confident to go ahead withe the change. Checked online a couple of months back, the "largest" tyre that can be fitted to Mk II Superb is 235/40R18. In a layman term, these are the differences in overall diameter of the 3 size:

225/40R18 => 637mm

225/45R18 => 659mm (+22mm or /11mm in height)

235/40R18 => 645mm (+8mm / +4mm in height)

BTW, after 25,000Km on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, I am convinced that it is much better than the stock Conti (CSC2), both in comfort and performance department (and cheaper too).