Droning noise

I have a drone which is noticeable at most speeds, and seems to peak at about 65mph. As far as I can make out, it's coming from the rear but I'm not sure.

I guess it could be tyres, but I'm thinking that as the car hasn't had its big service yet (it's done 64k on long life servicing), the Haldex oil might need changing?

It doesn't seem to get noticeably worse when I turn, so for the moment I'm ruling out a wheel bearing.

Rub your hand over the tyre tread on the rear - if it feels smooth rubbing one way and has sharp edges rubbing the other then it's probably got sawtooth wear, which does seem to be a feature of some cars. Rotate the back tyres onto the front and see if that does anything. It quietened mine down considerably. It got much quieter again when I replaced the 73 db tyres with 70 db ones though. That wear pattern can be eliminated by adjusting the tracking AFAIK, but based on the number of stories from people with tracking issues and problems with resolving them, very few garages have any idea what the correct settings are for the car or how to adjust it correctly.

• Like 4

I have a drone which is noticeable at most speeds, and seems to peak at about 65mph. As far as I can make out, it's coming from the rear but I'm not sure.

I guess it could be tyres, but I'm thinking that as the car hasn't had its big service yet (it's done 64k on long life servicing), the Haldex oil might need changing?

It doesn't seem to get noticeably worse when I turn, so for the moment I'm ruling out a wheel bearing.

Would you describe it as an oscillating sound, or is it more continuous?  I had this for 30k kms and it drove me mad.  Even after rotating the tyres it didn't really help. It was sawtoothing in the end but it was only noticeable (visually) towards the end of the life of the tyres.  A combination of visits to tyre fitters and dealer failed to solve the issue (they persuaded me there was nothing wrong) until I replaced them.  Like Psycholist, switching to a lower db tyre (Contis to Bridgestone) quietened things even further.

• Like 1

Are you using Dunlop Sports Max tyres?? Dreadful sawtoothing issues with that particular tyre.  Notice that Skoda are still putting them on new cars notwithstanding their level of crappiness-must be dead cheap in bulk.

i had a front wheel bearing changed recently on my Octavia II. A droning noise started at 25mph and became progressively louder with speed. My Fabia suffers from a droning noise from the rear but that is caused by uneven tyre.

I had a similar issue with my 2011 1.8 TSI SE 4x4 Combi, the sound appeared to come from the transmission tunnel, dealer suggested it was tyres, tech diagnosed front wheel bearing.

New wheel bearing fixed it.

Edited by DenzilDexter

To be honest I can't remember what tyres I've got on either front or rear. I know that there was sawtoothing on the rears back in the summer so it may be that.

The noise seems to reach peak at around 65. It's more of a constant "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" than an oscillating "wowowowowowowowowowowo" 

My front wheels will be replaced after Christmas, so I'll swap the front and back over then.

See post #2 and #3.

I had exactly the same problem.

The droning got worse and worse as the rear tyres neared the end of their life.

When I finally had them replaced the tyre fitted commented on the issue when he removed the wheels, even he was quite suprised at how bady saw toothed they were on the inner edges.

Fresh rubber on the back (Goodyear EfficentGrip Performance) and silence has resumed!

Seems to be a common complaint on the MkII Superb.

Given your location I also strongly recommend Terry Elsey in Malton for the new rubber. Cheap as chips!

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

I had the same on my Yeti, changed all four Conti's for new Hankook Kinerg eco, all the noise gone and a greatly improved ride, I will be replacing the Michelin's on my white combi in the near future also. 

• 1 year later...

Would you describe it as an oscillating sound, or is it more continuous?  I had this for 30k kms and it drove me mad.  Even after rotating the tyres it didn't really help. It was sawtoothing in the end but it was only noticeable (visually) towards the end of the life of the tyres.  A combination of visits to tyre fitters and dealer failed to solve the issue (they persuaded me there was nothing wrong) until I replaced them.  Like Psycholist, switching to a lower db tyre (Contis to Bridgestone) quietened things even further.

I've just purchased a 2009 TDI 170 DSG Elegance hatchback running on 18" wheels, and alongside all of its positives (space, comfort, handling, ride, easy to drive etc.), the two negatives are both hearing-related - rubbish sound system and excessive tyre noise.

There's a far amount of material on the forum about ways to improve the sound system and I'll probably start with some work on the door cards and replacing the speakers. The potential downside of doing this is that, strangely, the over-bright sound that I currently get does manage to cut through all of the noise coming from the tyres.

What I've found regarding tyres, however, seems to be more about sawtoothing etc. whereas I had assumed that all I was getting is good old-fashioned tyre rumble from my Continental SportContacts, which varies from surface top surface. I'd considered it to be a consequence of running a noisy brand of tyre on 18" rims

So... should I go feel my tyres? Also, what type of Bridgestone's did you get?

I've just purchased a 2009 TDI 170 DSG Elegance hatchback running on 18" wheels, and alongside all of its positives (space, comfort, handling, ride, easy to drive etc.), the two negatives are both hearing-related - rubbish sound system and excessive tyre noise.

There's a far amount of material on the forum about ways to improve the sound system and I'll probably start with some work on the door cards and replacing the speakers. The potential downside of doing this is that, strangely, the over-bright sound that I currently get does manage to cut through all of the noise coming from the tyres.

What I've found regarding tyres, however, seems to be more about sawtoothing etc. whereas I had assumed that all I was getting is good old-fashioned tyre rumble from my Continental SportContacts, which varies from surface top surface. I'd considered it to be a consequence of running a noisy brand of tyre on 18" rims

So... should I go feel my tyres? Also, what type of Bridgestone's did you get?

Yes, definitely go and feel the surface of the tyres - you will notice the saw toothing if it starts to feel uneven as you run your hand around.  Is the tyre noise consistent or just above/below certain speeds?  I bought Bridgestone Potenzas which were better (quieter) than the contis however that was an old post now (Dec 2014) and I've since run those out - I think I got about 33k kms from them.  I put on a set of Barums after the Bridgestones and with around 30k kms on those at the moment, they are lasting longer than any of the others.  Noise-wise, the Barums are actually quieter than both the contis and Bridgestones but I did go from 40 to 45 profile with my last tyre change so that is certainly helping also.

Yes, definitely go and feel the surface of the tyres - you will notice the saw toothing if it starts to feel uneven as you run your hand around.  Is the tyre noise consistent or just above/below certain speeds?  I bought Bridgestone Potenzas which were better (quieter) than the contis however that was an old post now (Dec 2014) and I've since run those out - I think I got about 33k kms from them.  I put on a set of Barums after the Bridgestones and with around 30k kms on those at the moment, they are lasting longer than any of the others.  Noise-wise, the Barums are actually quieter than both the contis and Bridgestones but I did go from 40 to 45 profile with my last tyre change so that is certainly helping also.

Many thanks. I checked my tyres and they are smooth as a baby's bottom - apart from the tread, that is! Also, the tyre noise is consistent, and not speed-related.

Regarding the higher profile tyres, have you had any issues with them rubbing on full lock or anything like that?

Many thanks. I checked my tyres and they are smooth as a baby's bottom - apart from the tread, that is! Also, the tyre noise is consistent, and not speed-related.

Regarding the higher profile tyres, have you had any issues with them rubbing on full lock or anything like that?

No issues at all.  There is enough clearance even on full lock and with a load.  It is tight but doesn't rub etc.  After 30k kms on the higher profile tyres and definitely wouldn't go back.  There is a world of difference in ride comfort and suit the more relaxed nature of the car too.  I wouldn't worry about the speedo either as it over reads (on mine anyway) by about 4/5kph (3mph) as a default, so moving to the higher profile just means that the reading is about right.  It just that there is no tolerance left.

• Thanks 1

No issues at all.  There is enough clearance even on full lock and with a load.  It is tight but doesn't rub etc.  After 30k kms on the higher profile tyres and definitely wouldn't go back.  There is a world of difference in ride comfort and suit the more relaxed nature of the car too.  I wouldn't worry about the speedo either as it over reads (on mine anyway) by about 4/5kph (3mph) as a default, so moving to the higher profile just means that the reading is about right.  It just that there is no tolerance left.

Many thanks. :)

• 4 years later...
On 11/04/2016 at 22:50, Superb170 said:

What size were you using