Judder / Vibration - Octavia II

Hi, I have a 2008 Octavia Estate 120k miles and am experiencing some hard to diagnose juddering. It started about a month ago and I've had four new tyres and two rear shockers fitted that haven't solved the problem. The car suffered problems with the rear tyres wearing unevenly on the inside - hence the replacement shockers, and the front tyres were shot anyway. I had hoped that the rear tyres, alignment and shockers would have cured the problem.

Between 30mph and 40mph the car shakes gently. There is no noise, just a shake or wobble through the body. Then occassionally I get a judder or vibration through the car. Not the steering wheel, the whole car. It mainly occurs when going up hill or when cornering at normal driving speeds. There is no noticible clicking from the CV's at full lock or acceleration. It felt like a wheel nut had come loose or one wheel needed balancing. I did all those checks before the tyres and shockers were changed. The car doesn't wander and the juddering is not related as far as I can tell to any engine speed / gear (it is an auto') but is definitely related to going uphill under power and turning.

I would really appreciate any suggestions as I'm out n France and discussing technical issues with the local mechanics is beyond my lingual skills.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello mate.

I've read of a few owners on here with similar problems to yourself and I know that quite a few of them have solved the issue by having all four wheels professionally aligned. Have a look at the attached link, it may be of some use to you.

Bonne chance & hope this helps.

Dave.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/331203-wobbling-octavia/?hl=%2Bwheel+%2Balignment#entry4024840

Thanks for the suggestions.

The alignment has supposedly been done at the time they fitted the rear shockers. I'll have to take it back and get them to re-check it.

We've had the car almost three years and put around 100km on the clock with barely a problem. But in the last couple of months it has become a money pit.

Well, the mechanics all took turns to drive my car up the road and the diagnosis is that the left hand drive shaft is shot. Back in tomorrow for another €400 repair. On the way home the radio / CD went mute. No sound from CD or radio. I think it is time for a parting of the ways............

Update; This afternoon a new drive shaft was fitted to the left / front corner and it has seemed to have solved the issue. I'll know better tomorrow after I get back from my mole trapping jobs with about 120km round trip to test it.

And, the radio / CD is playing again. :clap:

• Like 1