What bulbs are best to get?

Hi, I have 2002 occy vrs and I have the standard halogen headlamps but I would prefer HIDs but I know there's alot of laws regarding this and other factors. If I wanting HIDs what would I have to do? Or what bulbs are best to give the hid style look?

My headlamps were rubbish when I got my Octy....but before you go down the time and expense route with HID's, maybe try what I did first?

I firstly polished the plastic lenses with some very fine wet-and-dry, then with a polishing mop and some plastic cutting compound, finishing with some good old Auto Glym. It made the lenses look brand new again and completely transparent with no yellowing.

Then I fitted a pair of Osram Nightbreaker bulbs. They can be had from ebay for less than 20 quid.

4 years later, I am still happy with the amount of light I have - if you'll excuse the pun, just doing those simple things made a night and day difference! Plus, those OSram bulbs are now 4 years old too...that's not bad is it?

+1 for Nightbreakers - totally transformed the amount of light produced. I swear by them after trying them in a Puma which has terrible headlights from standard, now fit them in everything. Even my wife noticed the difference when I put them in hers, and she couldn't even tell when one headlight died...

• Like 2

Yeah like the other guys have said, just give the lamps a really good clean. Maybe pop the lamp units out all together (easy to do) so you can really get them clean.

Then find the most expensive bulbs you can get. Makes an unbelievable difference.

I cursed the headlights when I got my car, but since switching to Philips X-treme bulbs the headlights are now amazing.

Like these bad boys: http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/philips-xtreme-vision-130-h4-twin

Expensive bulbs also last for years, so they end up being better value than cheapo rubbish.

Believe the hype!

I have bought osram nightbreakers unlimited for the main lights and fogs.

Has anyone got pics on what they look like on?

Nice one, I'm sure you'll be happy with them. But as I said, do your plastic headlamp lenses need a polish too? Have a look at them - it does make a big difference.

And - it's such an easy job to change out the bulbs on a Mk. 1 Octy - like 10 minutes - get your new ones in and then YOU can post a pic of what they look like on, haha! :)

My headlamps were rubbish when I got my Octy....but before you go down the time and expense route with HID's, maybe try what I did first?

I firstly polished the plastic lenses with some very fine wet-and-dry, then with a polishing mop and some plastic cutting compound, finishing with some good old Auto Glym. It made the lenses look brand new again and completely transparent with no yellowing.

Then I fitted a pair of Osram Nightbreaker bulbs. They can be had from ebay for less than 20 quid.

4 years later, I am still happy with the amount of light I have - if you'll excuse the pun, just doing those simple things made a night and day difference! Plus, those OSram bulbs are now 4 years old too...that's not bad is it?

4 years for Nightbreakers? Has to be a record..... Have you ever switched them on? :)

4 years for Nightbreakers? Has to be a record..... Have you ever switched them on? :)

I have my night breakers 2 and a bit yrs and i run dipped beam on at all hrs of the day... Have been faultless, I recall the Philips seemed to be blowing alot quicker at the time- sub 6 months...
  • Like 1

I've got 3+ years on my Philips Extreme Vision and they've even been in two different sets of headlights and a minor prang which wrote the front bumper off. Also it should be noted that mine is modified so that the dipped beam is still on when on main beam, and as an ex-Volvo owner and a biker I tend to keep my dipped beam on in all lights and weathers, so they've had a fair lot of abuse.

Every time I would say decent bulbs and decent headlights (my new standard headlights made one hell of a difference even with the standard bulbs in) as opposed to HID kits which in normal headlights do not illuminate the road very well at all. The definition and pattern is lousy.

Edited by demonufo
  • Like 1

I had Philips X-treme vision (about £30 a pair!) for about 2 years until one bulb blew. Since replaced with Osram Nightbreakers (under £15 a pair) which have been in over a year now and are as just as good as the Philips ones.

bought mine with a hid kit fitted and have headlights on the list of things i need to get sorted out

i cannot comment on the kit fitted as i didnt do it but they are blue'ish so im gonna guess 6k they are ok'ish on dip but i get quite a few people flash me as they dazzle and they are utter crap on main they are throwing the beam up the hedge and not at the road

i must admit though it is my first time dealing with hid kit's but my opinion of them is i have had much better lights from a headlamp wiring upgrade and uprated bulbs which is what i plan to do to mine when time allows me to get around to it