Found a car but its showing as stolen?

Yes get the insurance marker removed and I think you're well within your rights to ask good/top end money for the car; i am sure if the shoe was on the other foot and you were looking to buy a good car that has a stolen record you'd want to make sure you get an appropriate discount.

I personally did back you up in earlier posts and suggested your car looks good...just with that stolen marker on it I think you need to accept that will likely limit what you'll get for it, you'll deter buyers asking 10295 for it. I get your point about the car being honest but in the same way a trader would sting you for it, you have to somewhat expect the same with a private sale.

The cars value with a marker on it will be significantly reduced.

The history of the car has now been explained by the vendor, so in some respects this may allay any fears of any hidden problems :)

However, until the HPi marker is removed the value will not increase, as the new buyer will have the same problem at selling time. Remove it and all is good :)

• Like 1

"Other's have said that it would get picked up by ANPR and it would get stopped - well you're wrong. In the 18 or so months since it was stolen, I've never once been stopped. For those who haven't bothered to check, there are two databases, one which the police use and which is uploaded to ANPR systems and one used by the insurance industry. Seeing as the police recovered the vehicle, they updated their database. Aviva forgot."

Now then jiwah, you say calm down, please do so yourself. As the one who made the comment about ANPR I stand by my comment, if the car was still showing as stolen on the police database then it would continue to be picked up, it was also mentioned that there is more than one database used by HPI. As it was the Aviva database which was to blame then no problem as long as that is corrected within the 48 hrs then you have a very nice motor with a clean history to sell which should do so easily within a few quid of your asking price. Happy selling.

Ian

• Like 1

The plates been hidden on the advert now, is that since you got in touch saying it is recorded as stolen?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk the free non retired version!

This car should never be marker free. This car has a history that should not be hidden, ok it was only driving 10 miles or so, but know one knows how it was driving. Ok the owner got it back and it's ok but at the end of the day it's still stolen recovered. Is it worth 9.5k, not a chance with a proven history.

The plates been hidden on the advert now, is that since you got in touch saying it is recorded as stolen?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk the free non retired version!

No, the pictures were always that way. I sent the OP some further images where the registration number hadn't been covered.

This car should never be marker free. This car has a history that should not be hidden, ok it was only driving 10 miles or so, but know one knows how it was driving. Ok the owner got it back and it's ok but at the end of the day it's still stolen recovered. Is it worth 9.5k, not a chance with a proven history.

It amazes me that people express concern about the way it was driven for 10 miles, but not for the other 48,000! It wasn't used to perform doughnuts in Sainsbury's car park, it was stolen by a gang of car thieves that are now doing time. They had stolen something like 35 or 40 cars, most of which had been striped for parts, so why would they risk either 1) getting stopped for dangerous driving or 2) risk wrecking the car and losing their opportunity for profit? 

Personally, I'd be more concerned about a chequered service history or mis-matched tyres or many changes of ownership or outstanding finance, etc.

At that price i would go to a dealership get some dealer services. 

That's everyone's choice, but the price for similar from a dealer would be in £11.5K to £12K price range. You pay's your money, you takes your choice!

Edited by jlwah
  • Like 2

No, the pictures were always that way. I sent the OP some further images where the registration number hadn't been covered.

It amazes me that people express concern about the way it was driven for 10 miles, but not for the other 48,000! It wasn't used to perform doughnuts in Sainsbury's car park, it was stolen by a gang of car thieves that are now doing time. They had stolen something like 35 or 40 cars, most of which had been striped for parts, so why would they risk either 1) getting stopped for dangerous driving or 2) risk wrecking the car and losing their opportunity for profit? 

Personally, I'd be more concerned about a chequered service history or mis-matched tyres or many changes of ownership or outstanding finance, etc.

That's everyone's choice, but the price for similar from a dealer would be in £11.5K to £12K price range. You pay's your money, you takes your choice!

Think you just have to except the car is not worth what you think it's worth, It's got a stolen marker on it. Ok you have gave looked after the car but you cannot say what was done to the car in the time it was in the criminals hands. I know car dealers who won't even touch a car with stolen markers on them.

If it was taken with the keys then there will be no problem with damage and if you are going to take a car without the owners consent in the middle of the night then the last thing you'd want to do is rag it and draw attention to yourself. It will be a good little motor and if the owner is up front and the seller does a proper check of it's history and accepts it then I can't see there being a problem at all.

Ian

• Like 2

If it was taken with the keys then there will be no problem with damage and if you are going to take a car without the owners consent in the middle of the night then the last thing you'd want to do is rag it and draw attention to yourself. It will be a good little motor and if the owner is up front and the seller does a proper check of it's history and accepts it then I can't see there being a problem at all.

Ian

Really? I've chased loads of stolen cars over the years, unless it's one that they clone and use, then they don't give a **** how they drive. In this instance, it sounds like it was stolen and parked up a distance away, with the intention of coming back to it. As it's a Skoda, not sure what the long game was for it, not quick enough for a get away vehicle and not really a high value car to sell on (maybe broken up and shipped off as parts)
  • Like 1

Ok, ok, everyone calm down here. It's my car and so I thought I'd make some comments to counter a lot of the nonsense that's been posted here.

It is not "nonsense" to query the FACT that you advertised the car as HPI Clear when clearly it is not.

A little more honesty and this thread would not have happened.

Edited by andyoctavia
  • Like 1

The owner hasn't been up front though. I've asked him loads of questions about the car and not once has he told me it was stolen recovered. That and the fact his advert on eBay still says hpi clear is a bit misleading. Perhaps he is hoping some unsuspecting buyer won't ask about or check it's history.

• Like 1

The owner hasn't been up front though. I've asked him loads of questions about the car and not once has he told me it was stolen recovered. That and the fact his advert on eBay still says hpi clear is a bit misleading. Perhaps he is hoping some unsuspecting buyer won't ask about or check it's history.

If the above is true then i would walk away from the deal,plenty of other examples around to buy. The first thing i do is HPI a car before i part with my hard earned cash. 

Really? I've chased loads of stolen cars over the years, unless it's one that they clone and use, then they don't give a **** how they drive. In this instance, it sounds like it was stolen and parked up a distance away, with the intention of coming back to it. As it's a Skoda, not sure what the long game was for it, not quick enough for a get away vehicle and not really a high value car to sell on (maybe broken up and shipped off as parts)

Exactly Bubba they will rag it is being chased by the boys in blue but if they are just driving it away to park it up and then come back to export, back to Czech Republic probably, either as a whole or bits, they won't drive it hard and bring attention to themselves in the middle of the night.

Ian

Think you just have to except the car is not worth what you think it's worth, It's got a stolen marker on it. Ok you have gave looked after the car but you cannot say what was done to the car in the time it was in the criminals hands. I know car dealers who won't even touch a car with stolen markers on them.

Really? I was with a car trader yesterday and when I asked him the same question in relation to mine he said it would make no difference to the value at all.

There was no police chase involved. The police had a good idea where it would be and searched that area until they found it. The car was parked, locked up and left.

It was stolen for parts. Several of the cars that were stolen by the same gang had already been stripped for parts or had been put in a container and sent to eastern Europe.

When people upgrade their Octavia sound systems for a Columbus unit off ebay for £500 to £600 or buy other used parts from eastern European sellers, they probably don't care much about their provenance, but if they seem a bargain, that's quite possibly because they've come from a stolen car.

It is not "nonsense" to query the FACT that you advertised the car as HPI Clear when clearly it is not.

A little more honesty and this thread would not have happened.

This is what the HPI check shows, though this should have been updated by now to "stolen and recovered". I view that as clear (with the updated status) as there are no outstanding issues. Clearly some on here regard this differently, but personally I think there are far more important issues pertaining to the originality, condition and care that has been shown on a car that count for far more, but each to their own.

Colour changes                 We have no record of this registration being subject to a colour change.

Plate Transfer                    We have no record of this registration being involved in a plate transfer.

Scrapped                           We have no record of this registration being scrapped.

Exported                            We have no record of this registration being exported.

Imported                           We have no record of this registration being imported.

Stolen                                 This registration was recorded stolen by an insurance company on 14 May 2013.

Destroyed                          We have no record of this registration being destroyed.

Insurance Write-off          We have no record of this registration being written-off.

Vehicle I.D. Check             We have no record of this registration being subject to a Vehicle Identity Checks

In fairness, that makes out that it is a stolen car, but that should have been corrected by Aviva by now. It surprises me that Aviva missed this, as in all other respects they were excellent in their dealings with this incident. When I collected the car from the repair centre, I paid the the excess (£350) which they asked for. At the time I didn't realise that replacement locks were not subject to an excess and Aviva got in touch after about three weeks to refund me the money.

I think if the OP actually bothers to check the text and email thread he had with me, he'll find that I answered all of his questions accurately and fully. He never asked about whether it had been stolen, but when he queried the theft following his hpi check I clearly and honestly explained the circumstances behind the theft and didn't attempt to mislead him in any way.

Perhaps he wasn't aware when he made his comment suggesting that I was being unscrupulous, that ebay require you to enter the registration so that they can offer potential bidders/buyers a vehicle report.

I'm sure he'll find himself a suitable car within his budget, but, as he explained to me, he's coming from an S-Max (which he's struggling to sell) that had lots of toys and was hoping for a vRS that was also well specified. He might find that more difficult than he thinks (irrespective of what certain posters on here say), so he'll either have to adjust his budget or his expectations, but I wish him well in his search. It is, after all, the season of good will !

We only have you word that your version of events is what happened to the car. The fact is that any hpi check will show it as stolen/recovered now regardless of What you say this will decrease its value.

Your ad on ebay is still showing as hpi clear which it isn't.

Youdontknow my budget. I only saidI want to spend what I got for my s max. For your info I have had quite a bit of interest in it but that's besides the point. It has been pxed in niw at a price I am more than happy with against a car with a more clear history.

• Like 1

Oh and you are right eBay do ask for your reg and they do offer hpi checks but that doesn't mean everyone will pay for one.

Surely that's down to you to be honest about your car or are you actually really concerned that will devalue it. Which it has in most peoples eyes apart from your own.

• Like 1

One to chalk down to experience, it does after all look like a good car and what has happened to it in the past, courtesy to some low life, shouldn't affect the future of it, show me someone or something who doesn't "show/tell" a bit of dodgy history and I will show you a liar.

Ian