New Scout £38.5k Seriously?

Rab-k

Just for fun decided to look at a Scout, full-spec with all the trimmings from the Skoda car configurator, and managed a sum total of....

£38,339   :o

Not including any extra bits the dealer could throw on, which would probably take it beyond 38.5k

Imagine the depreciation when you drove it of the forecourt. :giggle:

I mean, honestly, if you had the best part of 40k to spend on a new car, would you?

(Configuration ID 62307811)

If, however, you plan to keep the car a long time (say 10 years or 100,000 miles) and it is a private purchase, there can be arguments for buying new:

(1) there is a much greater time over which to amortise the cost

(2) all the time you have the car, you have exactly the car you want - you won't spend 10 years or so wiishing that it was a different colour and that you had (say) a heated windscreen and split-folding rear seats.

I have only bought new cars twice and am still enjoying the fact that both are exactly to the spec I wanted - one 39 years and 250,000 miles ago (Reliant Scimitar GTE) and one 7 years and 65,000 miles ago (Mazda MX-5 coupe).

I have never understood how anyone can justify buy a new car every couple of years.  Presumably the economics of this are distorted by business accounting practices and taxation in some way. 

Ridiculous money. The depreciation on something like that would just be bonkers as used price wouldnt stack up a great deal better than a standard car.

Maybe if you absolutely love Octavia Scouts and are set on keeping the car until it dies and you absolutely must have every bell and whistle then perhaps why not.....for me though thats discounted high spec 335d X Drive M Sport money; as a object of desire IMHO leagues ahead.

Just for fun decided to look at a Scout, full-spec with all the trimmings from the Skoda car configurator, and managed a sum total of....

£38,339   :o

Not including any extra bits the dealer could throw on, which would probably take it beyond 38.5k

Imagine the depreciation when you drove it of the forecourt. :giggle:

I mean, honestly, if you had the best part of 40k to spend on a new car, would you?

(Configuration ID 62307811)

Not on a Skoda   :no:

If, however, you plan to keep the car a long time (say 10 years or 100,000 miles) and it is a private purchase, there can be arguments for buying new:

(1) there is a much greater time over which to amortise the cost

(2) all the time you have the car, you have exactly the car you want - you won't spend 10 years or so wiishing that it was a different colour and that you had (say) a heated windscreen and split-folding rear seats.

I have only bought new cars twice and am still enjoying the fact that both are exactly to the spec I wanted - one 39 years and 250,000 miles ago (Reliant Scimitar GTE) and one 7 years and 65,000 miles ago (Mazda MX-5 coupe).

I have never understood how anyone can justify buy a new car every couple of years. Presumably the economics of this are distorted by business accounting practices and taxation in some way.

Lots of people PCP now, you of course have a set ongoing cost and over time sure you probably end up paying out sums of money that would buy a car outright but they do have their advantages.

I have to run a newish low CO2 car for work, PCP gets me into a half decent car at low monthly cost and represents at least 3 years trouble free motoring (where in the Skodas case its got 3 year warranty and AA cover)....also being so new has the benefit of ridiculously low running costs for what is still a semi quick 150hp car.

Recently sank 5ķ into a used car that after 2 years has been problematic and I probably can now not give away and think its probably the last time I do it. Each to their own but I think id rather have a new car regularly with an known associated monthly cost rather than pour thousands of hard earned pounds into a car in one hit for it to be worth next to nothing after a couple of years. To put it into perspective my 10 month old 2.0 Elegance estate has done about 8k in residual loss already....Im glad i didnt buy it for that v reason.

If you tick every box you can make any car look stupidly expensive - it's possible to get a £22k Fabia for example.

I don't think Skoda expect many people to go that crazy on the options list.

Edited by Dr Zoidberg
  • Like 2

I seem to remember Top Gear doing something similar on an Audi some years back. They asked the audience what Audi cost circa £98K and the answer turned out to be an A6 3.0TDI with every option available.

People who buy brand new either have too much money or are mad. PCP's I get. Handing over £30K+ cash is simply bonkers.

There are four Scout's on Autotrader, all well equipped and one with less than 10 miles on from £22.5K...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/skoda/octavia/postcode/sl13yd/radius/1500/keywords/Scout/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/sort/mileage

People who buy brand new either have too much money or are mad. PCP's I get. Handing over £30K+ cash is simply bonkers.

Nice to see you're hugely judgemental about others because they possibly differ from your own narrow world view. Congratuwelldone you.

Nice to see you're hugely judgemental about others because they possibly differ from your own narrow world view. Congratuwelldone you.

It's a forum full of peoples own views. Get over yourself.

If you've got the cash to pay for exactly the car you want, outright, are there any circumstances when it is cheaper to buy a car any other way?  I can't think of any, especially while there are very few profitable places to invest your savings even using ISAs.

But maybe I'm wrong - someone please educate me, preferably with some worked examples!

Even if you know that you will probably want to change the car after, say, 3 years, you can simply sell it.  I wouldn't imagine that the price you get will be much lower than the value assumed in any PCP or other contract.

I can understand why dealers (or banks or other financial institutions) want to flog various finance deals - there's profit in it for them!  But that means you're paying more, surely?  That profit has to come from somewhere.

Edited by Stuarted

I've got a question about PCP's , after your PCP deal is up and you have the choice to buy , is the value of the car generally higher than the guaranteed future value given at the start?

I guess it's going to vary with each car but wondered if there was a trend.

If you've got the cash to pay for exactly the car you want, outright, are there any circumstances when it is cheaper to buy a car any other way?  I can't think of any, especially while there are very few profitable places to invest your savings even using ISAs.

But maybe I'm wrong - someone please educate me, preferably with some worked examples!

I could have bought my Octavia outright, but instead have got it on a 42 month 0% PCP deal.

That's £20k sat in my bank account earning interest - half is in an ISA at 2% and the other is in a standard account earning 3% (1.8% after tax).

I could have bought my Octavia outright, but instead have got it on a 42 month 0% PCP deal.

That's £20k sat in my bank account earning interest - half is in an ISA at 2% and the other is in a standard account earning 3% (1.8% after tax).

Have you ot some specific figures, please?

What were the terms of the PCP deal, please?  What discount (if any) did you get on the price of the car?  What is its residual price assumed / predicted to be?  What is the second-hand value likey to be for a 42-month-old car?  What exactly are your options after 42 months, please?

Edited by Stuarted