HID Coding issues

You just do it in 09 Central electrics.

Find the option for "Xenon lights without shutter installed" and tick this. Then find "cold lamp diagnostics for dipped beam" and untick this.

Done.

Phil

You just do it in 09 Central electrics.

Find the option for "Xenon lights without shutter installed" and tick this. Then find "cold lamp diagnostics for dipped beam" and untick this.

Done.

Phil

Apparently there's various views on this. Some people say to change byte 14 bit 4?

Apparently there's various views on this. Some people say to change byte 14 bit 4?

Yes that's what mine needed, there seems to be a lot different of versions. Unticking cold lamp diags didn't work on mine.(2013 FL)

I wonder if this is a pre-fl/fl thing then.

I've only ever coded pre-fl cars and this coding worked.

Phil

Edit:

Actually I have also once coded a Superb SE for HIDs and it worked. I assume I used the same coding.

Edited by Phil-E

What did it need?

Changed the coding in byte 14 bit 4 to on,

Turned off cold bulb diagnostics and turned on bi-xenon without additional high beam.

My Vrs is 2010

Ecu no: 1KO-937-087-D

Edited by Cyberstaff
  • Like 1

For anyone looking this thread up ive just done an early mk2 pre fl and in byte 4 it didnt have a box for bit 4 to have xenons without shutters. So to over come this in byte 4 change the coding by adding 10 to the current number.

Ah right didnt realise that thought it was just a general coding how to thought id add that in incase someone with an earlier model came in through the search at a later point. Yeah just done cleos.

A few of the lower spec Octy 2 models don't have that option -- I'm talking about Classic and Ambiente models.(I take it you've just coded Cleo's car?)

The other way of sorting this is to open the LCode 2 option, which lists all the bytes and bits, but without description. Just tick Byte 4 bit 4 from there.

Mike

Adding 10 to the original hex value will be the same thing as using lcode2 and ticking the bite from there just for anyone that's looking at this topic

Quick question and don't shoot me :)

With fitting a non canbus error hid kit, other than avoiding an error light on the dash can someone explain why hid kits need coding?

I have heard of some issues of flickering lights which I do not see why and even possibly damaging control units but can someone explain properly, why these things may occur?

Edited by Defenderben

Quick question and don't shoot me :)

With fitting a non canbus error hid kit, other than avoiding an error light on the dash can someone explain why hid kits need coding?

I have heard of some issues of flickering lights which I do not see why and even possibly damaging control units but can someone explain properly, why these things may occur?

Coding is only for a few reasons - correct monitoring of the HID system and correct level of power supply.

For example with ch/lh lights - halogen bulbs are PWM'd and dimmed down as they go out, HID's would just be switched off.

What causes the other faults is not accociased with coding but one of the following:

1) the capacitors and resistors used to fool the BCM into thinking there is a halogen bulb fitted when HID's have not / cannot be coded.

2) poor quality ballasts with insufficient shielding or suppression of the AC voltage (85-25,000v) being generated.

• Like 1

Turned off cold bulb diagnostics and turned on bi-xenon without additional high beam.

May actually need to do this on mine too, coded Byte 14 bit 4 yesterday. 

tonight mine flickered once and when flashing someone out of a junction the passenger side one went out throwing a bulb fault. Came back after a restart.

That was my problem, they were not coded. I do not know anyone with vcds within a sensible distance?

I fitted the London colour kit and it worked perfectly for a few weeks.

After then reading some threads, which mentioned they must be coded or they will take out wiper motors/central electronic units and possibly flicker to mention a few things.

So removed before any real damage was done.

As said back on crappy halogens at the moment :(

Must say, I did not get anyone flash me whilst they were in, I set the height adjuster just a tad lower than the halogens, as there did seem to be a bluey haze on the extremes which appeared to be slightly higher than halogens in normal height and everyone seemed happy.

May actually need to do this on mine too, coded Byte 14 bit 4 yesterday.

tonight mine flickered once and when flashing someone out of a junction the passenger side one went out throwing a bulb fault. Came back after a restart.

I had that till I coded correctly, no probs since.

Just need to get ch/lh lights re-coded as they don't work at the mo.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2011 facelift SE. from reading this thread i need to code

09 Central electrics.

tick : Xenon lights without shutter installed 

untick: cold lamp diagnostics for dipped beam

Do i need to?

• Like 1

I have a 2011 facelift SE. from reading this thread i need to code

09 Central electrics.

tick : Xenon lights without shutter installed

untick: cold lamp diagnostics for dipped beam

Do i need to?

Yes I belive so. That's what I did!

Bear in mind ch/lh through fog lights won't work so don't tick that option.