Dashcam hard wiring in fabia vrs

Ant FR

Ok, after promising to get one for so long i bit the bullet today after yet more raising maneuvres pulled by fellow road users. 

Anyway i got the mini 0805 which seems to keep coming up trumps with a hardwire kit, just wondered if anyone else has hardwired theirs and where they took the feeds from.

Mine is hardwired into the fuse box under the steering wheel. I used a switched live slot and connected a 12v socket to it using a piggy back connrctor, feed that into the recess behind the dash accessed via the panel on the drivers side of the dash. You can see when you

open the drivers door there is an access panel on the end of the dash. I connected the 12v supply to the 12v plug on the dash cam then fed the wires up the a pillar, under the roof trim and out at the mirror. Think it was fuse 17 but not sure. I can easy check over the weekend. As far as I remember it was the second fuse in from the left on the bottom row of mini fuses. Just use a multi meter or one of those screwdrivers with a light to check.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Step too far? Unless you point your car in the direct that the camera is pointing surely it's not going capture much. I can understand on a helmet still it's pointing in the direction that the person is looking but on a car?

Step too far? Unless you point your car in the direct that the camera is pointing surely it's not going capture much. I can understand on a helmet still it's pointing in the direction that the person is looking but on a car?

120 degree coverage ( same as go pro) and will protect you  against insurance scammers etc.

Scoff if you wish but you will be having one in your own car with in the next 10 years, and new cars maybe coming with them by 2020.  

Step too far? See how many on here are running dashcams, I am for one.

Some idiot slams on infront of you its your fault and your word against theirs. You have footage of it happening and you've just got your jail free card. All because of you going that 'step too far'.

Are you just trolling??

If you get into a 'smash for cash' scam the camera would prove invaluable and pay for itself proving it was a set up. If you are hit from behind then true enough the camera didn't catch the action, but what it did do was record what you were doing at the time, how fast you were traveling prior and what the car in front of you did that caused you to perhaps brake hard. It also has other uses....report poor/dangerous driving. Ever witnessed an accident that you weren't directly involved in? Your dash cam has. Seen those signs asking if drivers have seen a particular vehicle travelling on a road prior to an accident? Your dash cam has....and recorded it.

I know first hand the difference a dash cam make, my parents were in a head on collision in which there was a fatality. The other car took a bend on the wrong side of the road, the only proof apart from the police reconstruction.......a dash cam.

• Like 1

How does a dash cam work - in that, I mean:

do you have to keep wiping the memory card clean or does the camera reset itself somehow? Can the card be cleared by the cam or do you have to remember to do it on a pc?

Does the cam switch on and start recording automatically?

Sounds like a good idea.

do you have to keep wiping the memory card clean or does the camera reset itself somehow? Can the card be cleared by the cam or do you have to remember to do it on a pc?

Sounds like a good idea.

Itll record in loops.

So once its memory is full, itll delete the oldest data and use it for new data iirc.

Yeah, i think theyre wired into a switched live

Itll record in loops.

So once its memory is full, itll delete the oldest data and use it for new data iirc.

Yeah, i think theyre wired into a switched live

Depends if you use a perm live or switched live, if car sits at home a lot and not much public car park use I'd use switched but if parked where it could be damaged then perm live for me
  • Like 1

Sounds like a good idea.

It does record in loops like otaylor says and then records over the oldest data first. You can normally choose whether you record 1/3/5 minute files.

I can format the card in my dash cam without the use of a pc. I can also transfer files onto my phone direct from the cam using built in WiFi.

There is a very small cell in the cam that keeps just enough power to keep the date/time memorised. This only lasts for about 2-4 days though, so if you leave the car for a few days you need to reset the data but you don't lose any files.

If connected to a switch live then the camera powers up and records when the ignition is on.

As stated if you connect to a permanent live it just records continuously with the exception of cameras with movement sensors, when car is stationary for a length of time the camera goes into a 'sleep' mode and only records when it senses movement. Good for car parks as said above.

I have cameras front & rear (Eprance 0801 rear, Nextbase 402 front), both with GPS & permanently wired to 'always on' live feed, - for carpark watching. They have already paid for themselves in terms of insurance discount & one pub car-park incident. Traced the driver through DVLA & he paid for the minor repairs (£145 at CHIPSAWAY). Best value added accessory by far IMHO.

• Like 1

No worry of battery drain with a permanent live?

Current draw is minimal , <100mA, but I have wired in on/off switches so I can switch them off if vehicle unattended, or overnight. Having had  previous incidents with carpark scrapes, permanent live feed is paramount for me.

100ma. Thats not a lot is it?

Any problems leaving that for a week unattended?

I'm not an electrician, so I've no idea haha

Never left them on for more than a few hours at a time, nor do I see the need to.  The files get over written after a few hours any way (depending on size of memory card of course), but even if I did forget to switch them off (not likely as switches have green indicator bulbs), I reckon I could go a few days & still be able to start the car.

Never left them on for more than a few hours at a time, nor do I see the need to. The files get over written after a few hours any way (depending on size of memory card of course), but even if I did forget to switch them off (not likely as switches have green indicator bulbs), I reckon I could go a few days & still be able to start the car.

Hmm. See. My cars parked on the drive for the best part of 5 days a week.

Having a camera filming would be ideal. But id need it not to over write its memory for atleast 12 hours and also need not to run the battery down after a week or so. Cos i dont want it straining the battery.

Is that not possible?

Having a camera filming would be ideal. But id need it not to over write its memory for atleast 12 hours and also need not to run the battery down after a week or so. Cos i dont want it straining the battery.

Is that not possible?

Blackvue smart power I think it's called can be used with any device with cigarette lighter socket and turns it off when battery drops to 11.8V
  • Like 1

Blackvue smart power I think it's called can be used with any device with cigarette lighter socket and turns it off when battery drops to 11.8V

But then we've no idea how long thatd be before it stops recording?

I guess it all depends on health of the battery?

Maybe a house camera is better, then a car one for one im out.

Or i could just continue to not park in places where it could be damaged, and not bother with the car camera.

But then we've no idea how long thatd be before it stops recording?

I guess it all depends on health of the battery?

Maybe a house camera is better, then a car one for one im out.

Or i could just continue to not park in places where it could be damaged, and not bother with the car camera.

On my Fabia even left for 2 weeks it never turned off.
  • Like 1

Posted Yesterday, 21:04

Otaylor38, on 21 Dec 2014 - 20:57, said:snapback.png

Is that not possible?

The time limitation on filming is obviously dependent on the size of the microSD card. The 2 cameras I have can only address a maximum 32Gbyte card, which at HD quality imposes a maximum recording time of  approx 20 hours before it starts overwriting the recorded files. Of course some of the more expensive cameras may be able to address bigger capacity memory cards, but as I only need to record for a maximum of 3-4 hours whilst I'm in the pub or shopping, my set up works well.

• Like 1