Disaster strikes

macca72

Firstly, thanks for all the help and advice, really appreciated.

Not sure on the brake fluid, I'll get that checked.

It did have the ECU & DSG service work, as I checked with the dealer who registered / maintained it.  No heated seats so that's not a problem.

They are doing the air filter, pollen filter, oil, oil filter & plugs as part of the service.  Also a diagnostic (which it's already had).

I'll be investing in a warranty as soon as I can afford it.

I'm sorry I went through this very quickly, did I understood correctly that you(or the car) had done 40K miles and the dealer said the plugs looked fine? If that's the case I would be worried as to how well/how many they checked. These cars, even good ones, have a thing for plugs, even under normal use, and especially a slight oil drinker's plugs would show worrying signs after that mileage imho. We know for sure their replacement interval should be at least halved and dealers still unaware of this is certainly upsetting.

Can you ask for the old plugs and take a photo of them for us?

Edited by newbie69

I'm sorry I went through this very quickly, did I understood correctly that you(or the car) had done 40K miles and the dealer said the plugs looked fine? If that's the case I would be worried as to how well/how many they checked. These cars, even good ones, have a thing for plugs, even under normal use, and especially a slight oil drinker's plugs would show worrying signs after that mileage imho. We know for sure their replacement interval should be at least halved and dealers still unaware of this is certainly upsetting.

They did indeed say that non of them (and I triple checked they had looked at them all) had any issues.  To be fair to them they did say you can either do nothing (which I wouldn't have done), replace the plugs only, or have the major service, which includes a plug change.

It's far more cost effective for me to just have the fixed price 40k service they offer, as having all of it done in constituent parts is way more expensive.

Unfortunately it's one of those cases that you have to see for yourself in order to believe. Apart from the well known fact the 40K interval has proven to be too much for plugs to last, those misfires, exhaust warning and oil pressure lights don't really point to the "everything is fine" direction so I would be careful. By that I don't mean start panicking and questioning everything but did you have a look at them yourself? A photo maybe? It's just so many cases where plugs have turned out to be the cause of issues that you can't be too sure. It may not sound amusing but it is one those cars that a little bit of "hands-on" approach and DIY maintenance is almost necessary for having piece of mind.

Also, I think you said there had been misfires but you didn't investigate further? I don't think this is wise. If something is flashing there's probably a reason for that. It's not that "they just do it often".

In the end, have these warning lights been sorted or you're still awaiting for the service to be completed to check for yourself?

Edited by newbie69

I agree, I'll get the plugs.

I saw the engine (exhaust management) light for the first time last week I think it was, and I assumed it could have been a misfire, mostly from the advice etc I had picked up from here.  I tried to replicate it a few times and it didn't happen again so I was essentially keeping an eye on it.

The oil pressure - stop warning was what kicked off this process.

With hindsight I maybe should have acted immediately, but i don't think the outcome would have been any different, given that (at least as far as I've been advised by the dealer) there's no errors from diagnostics, and no visible plug issues (although I absolutely accept the DIY approach, as well as the advice from goneoffski above).

I'm waiting for the service to be completed and I'll see if it's any different.

It's only basic stuff really. The oil can be checked easily and for plugs, I obviously don't suggest removing them every other weekend, but a check every 6K-10K miles with a replacement interval of 15-20K is not a bad idea. I'm checking mine every 5 and changing them every 10 after I got the remap. The tool only costs around 10-12 pounds I think.

One thing I missed: Where was the oil when the oil pressure/stop came on? Was it really a low oil level situation or the warning was completely erroneous? Because in that case it may be that it is a completely different part (of the oil system?) that is/was failing. Maybe something uncommon.

Edited by newbie69

It's only basic stuff really. The oil can be checked easily and for plugs, I obviously don't suggest removing them every other weekend, but a check every 6K-10K miles with a replacement interval of 15-20K is not a bad idea. I'm checking mine every 5 and changing them every 10 after I got the remap. The tool only costs around 10-12 pounds I think.

One thing I missed: Where was the oil when the oil pressure/stop came on? Was it really a low oil level situation or the warning was completely erroneous? Because in that case it may be that it is a completely different part (of the oil system?) that is/was failing. Maybe something uncommon.

Well, I've only done 4k since I've owned it, but that's worth knowing for future.  I'll probably have it checked over every year from now.

Oil was on the low side, but not low (if that makes sense), and I've never had a low oil / refill warning.  I suppose it could be filter / sensor issue or something else, I'll get more information from the dealer when I go and collect.

Some cars show the 'low oil warning light' maybe when over 1.2 litres low.  

Some show the Light, and some members have seen a 'Low Oil Warning Message'.

There is a 'Red Low oil Pressure Light',  

i have never heard of a 'Low Oil Pressure stop' message on a CAVE engine car.

A Member did get a warning of some kind, for Low Oil Pressure, the Tech doing the oil change had not put the Filler cap on.

I have had a 'Low OIl Pressure, stop when safe' warning on my Volvo.

The Filler cap goes on it one way, and it was on wrong and not sealing.

Cap taken off, and put on, Warning message went out.

Ok, so plot thickens.

Had it's major service with all the bits and bobs (including plugs).  Get home and all is well, other half nipped out to the supermarket and the engine / exhaust light comes on and stays on this time.

Looks like the AA are coming out again...

Ok, so plot thickens.

Had it's major service with all the bits and bobs (including plugs). Get home and all is well, other half nipped out to the supermarket and the engine / exhaust light comes on and stays on this time.

Looks like the AA are coming out again...

With abit of luck itll log a fault now the lights staying on

With abit of luck itll log a fault now the lights staying on

Hope so, dealer found a recorded misfire and that was it.  They also said that one of the spark plugs had "started to corrode", which I took to mean was shot.

They test drove it a few times and got no faults, typical that it happens when you get home.  I'm going to phone the AA again.

Hope so, dealer found a recorded misfire and that was it. They also said that one of the spark plugs had "started to corrode", which I took to mean was shot.

They test drove it a few times and got no faults, typical that it happens when you get home. I'm going to phone the AA again.

Sounds like you were lucky in a way. You dont want a plug corroding inside the engine.

I would.

Best of luck.

AA man visited again, error code found relating to air intake?

This is a totally different issue to what happened before, he cleared the error and I took it for a drive, all seemed well until I got back home, switched the ignition off then on again and the engine light was back on.

Looks like it's heading back to the dealers.

Christmas eh?

Mmm, dealer checked the plugs and no sign of wear.

I've asked them to just do the 40k service and replace them.

Still worries me.

Hope so, dealer found a recorded misfire and that was it.  They also said that one of the spark plugs had "started to corrode", which I took to mean was shot.

They test drove it a few times and got no faults, typical that it happens when you get home.  I'm going to phone the AA again.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Are you saying that the first time you asked the dealer to check the plugs they said they were all fine and didn't need changing but when they actually changed them for you they now think one had started to corrode? Doesn't sound very confidence-inspiring!

Several members have had Air intake issues, and had replacement Intakes & Pipes.

Newbie69  & a member in Spain and several in the UK.

Your Dealership have all the gear with the Plug in Diagnostics, and not a clue what they are up to.

There are some Dealership staff that read this forum, and get a laugh at my posts.

Funny how they take out 1 or 2 spark plugs and say they are OK, and then get found out,

Like the ones that do Oil Consumption tests and have 1 litre of Oil as 1000 grams, even on a Report,

until they get caught out, and another correct test and simple Maths gets done.

You need a Master Tech checking out your car,

& do not let those 4 spark plugs go missing.

Sadly they wouldn't give me the plugs, said  they had been thrown away earlier in the day (I was at work so not on here for the advice).

What's the most common cause of the P2279 code, I've read it could be the PCV valve?

I'm certain I can hear a hissing when the car is ticking over (with the bonnet up), but that said I took it for a good drive last night after the AA had cleared the code and it drove fine?

It's going back in on Monday, is it safe to drive the car in the meantime (I only mean in emergencies, like feeding the kids!)

Edited by macca72

http://obd-codes.com/p2279

I bumped newbie69's thread with the Intake issue.  Because i could not link it.

only thing is, i never noticed it was in the 'diagnostic & VCDS'  section of Briskoda.

So if you look on there you will see it, and the part numbers .

Maybe link it here if you or somebody could please.

Catch up next week on how you get on.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Excellent stuff, thanks a lot.

Without tempting fate, doesn't appear to be disastrous, but no doubt it won't be cheap.  I'll be onto the dealer for goodwill though, as it's too much of a coincidence for me that this fault happens immediately after they have serviced it, especially when its not happened before.