How to install a Tablet on the dash Guide

tombirch95

in-car Tablet ( in my case iPad mini )

needed:
1.) ipad mini
2.) ipad mini bracket/holder ( i got mine from pound land/ pound world - works a dream )
3.) in car lighting cable 
4.) jack to phono x2
5.) jack splitter
6.) RCA ends
7.) 12v powered panel mount USB

if you do not have an amp fitted to your car please read section two aswell

remove radio

locate front and rear speaker cables (if no amp is being used or fitted)

pull out the speaker cables from the main radio connector and make them into RCA cable ends (as shown here: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Rca-Cables)

then using the jack to phono cables link up the front right and rear right and plug them into one phono on one jack-phono and the front left,rear left to the other

connect both cables to the jack splitter and you have an AUX cable to connect to the iPad mini

now we want to make the power source for the iPad mini, to do this we will use a panel mount USB powered by the original radio power source. using the red and black power cables on the main radio connecter red being positive and black being negative.

link to USB:

to do this we will create and in dash USB that we can mount in the existing hole of the radio

now we how our power source and AUX cable sorted, we now need to cover up our work and cover up the hole in the dash not forgetting to feed the cables we fitter to the cover, you can use whatever material you need for the cover, i used plastic and covered it in carbon wrap and used plastic dowels for the strengthener 

you will also need to add your iPad holder/bracket to your cover so it will need to be strong unless you mount it to the radio surround and build the cover around it.

you can now have your iPad held in securely and connect it up to your car and used as your radio whilst hiding the wires and making it look smart, on the bonus side you can take your iPad out the car when you leave meaning it is not a security risk as it will just be a cover and a bracket, you could take the cover to the next level and have a pop out/removable mount/bracket for the iPad but theres always room for improvement 

Section two

you can mount the amp in the existing radio hole in the dash so it is out of the way and hidden

to connect the speakers to the amp you will need to connect speaker cables  to the output on the amp and use a male jack to male phono connector with the phonos plugging into the input on the amp

you do not need to turn your speaker cables into phonos if your amp does not have phono outputs!!!

to finish off the dash mount i made a cover out of plastic and wrapped it in carbon just to make it look good, cut holes in the plastic for the aux, usb and iPad mount and its good to go 

post-116454-0-52117800-1418987850_thumb.jpg

post-116454-0-20889000-1418987909_thumb.jpg

1. That's a big no no IMHO ... GPS reception is poor if you install it over there. - possible fix with an external antenna ... but things are getting complicated, right? :)

2. If you don't care about navi and stuff, I think this is a way better option.

Edited by Alexandru

1. That's a big no no IMHO ... GPS reception is poor if you install it over there. - possible fix with an external antenna ... but things are getting complicated, right? :)

2. If you don't care about navi and stuff, I think this is a way better option.

i tether the iPad from my phone, the routes i go are luckily covered by o2 so i very really get limited coverage, i haven't found an issue with it yet

Looks a little bit pikey IMHO

it does i agree but with the part i had and me not willing to for out for a big expensive navi unit i wanted to do something myself, you could say the car has carplay now haha 

If you like it mate, that's all that counts. I can see the pros and cons.

Not many double din head units will have the smooth running of an iPad, easy to add new music, use sat nav and radio apps if needed.

As you mentiond Siri should work really well with it so voice activation is a big plus.

• Like 1