Hi and low spots - uneven wear on rear tyres.

AshVrs

I replaced my rear tyres recently and put the old rears on the front (still plenty of legs left on them). I did however notice bit of a bumpy type sensation through the steering wheel. I do 150 miles a day so I tend to find I notice the slightest changes in driving very quickly.

I took the car to ets today and you can see and feel these weird like humpy looking signature around the tyre where it looks at though it has been wearing under constant bouncing (can't think of any other way to describe it). It is more noticeable more on one tyre than the other.

The lad who looked at my car said it could be down to worn shock absorbers. He did make a throw away comment that this is something they tend to see commonly on rear tyres on volkswagen cars.

Now these tyres have been on the rear of the car since I have owned it. The car is lowered on eibach pro springs and has powerflex rear beam bushes.

Do you chaps think this could be a sign to replace the rear shocks?

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

If you mean wear like this :

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/saw-tooth-tyre-wear

had it like that on my 06 vrs rear tyres. I got new fronts, put the front ones on the back and got rid of the rear tyres and problem has yet to re-occur. Also solved the drone noise that that kind of wear created. The link above explains why it can happen and it may not be down to the shocks.

Perhaps the tyres on the rear had this wear already and putting them on the front just enabled you to feel the wear pattern through the steering. You may find leaving them on the front sorts out the wear more evenly, although if its affecting grip you may not want to wait for it to sort itself out.

• Like 1

Yes that sounds like it mate. Thanks for the link. I'm going to see how I get on with them. It certainly doesn't seem to be affecting grip so I don't have any immediate safety concerns. I have however picked up on the background drone this seems to cause. I'll keep my eye on it over Christmas whilst I'm not doing mega miles. Thanks again for the link.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk