Front anti roll bar links

Ottoocty

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problem with their front link arms regularly snapping?

I've got a 02 reg octy estate and replaced the link arms three times in the two years owned the car and that is including swapping from the original plastic arms to metal ones but they all seem to wear out or shear with regular occurance.

I've put 18,000 mile on it since August 2012 and do my best to avoid craters or potholes as being a retired mechanic know the state vehicles get in if not taken care of

I have changed the anti roll bar to body bushes to poly bushes to help firm up front end and originally had done the arms as been on it since new and well tired bushes.

Fitted new metal arms with poly bushes but they lasted short time before shearing and went to plastic arms again but they snapped after two weeks.

Anyone else having replace there's often?

Looks like need go dealers and buy genuine next time I'm in the city as seems aftermarket quality is poor from so called original equipment suppliers

I changed mine to metal recently got febi bilstein ones as they were on offer cheaper than the lemforder ones the day I was ordering... Only about 2k put on them so far so a bit ealry to tell but seem good so far.

Hello Mac,

I,ve seen lots of the febi parts on eBay for sale and some of them look just like the original reinforced plastic arms 1J0 411 315H that came off it originally .

I did wonder if it was just because I fitted the poly bushes to them that they gave up sooner as less flex in bush

From what I've seen of most aftermarket arms the bushes are so soft and flexible that it's almost no point in fitting them as not really going do job it's supposed to .

Also seen advertised adjustable links that more common on lowered or track spec cars

Maybe I should invest in them and see if they survive longer .

Hope you get on ok ŵith the pair you fitted and they behave themselves

Hello Mac,

I,ve seen lots of the febi parts on eBay for sale and some of them look just like the original reinforced plastic arms 1J0 411 315H that came off it originally .

I did wonder if it was just because I fitted the poly bushes to them that they gave up sooner as less flex in bush

From what I've seen of most aftermarket arms the bushes are so soft and flexible that it's almost no point in fitting them as not really going do job it's supposed to .

Also seen advertised adjustable links that more common on lowered or track spec cars

Maybe I should invest in them and see if they survive longer .

Hope you get on ok ŵith the pair you fitted and they behave themselves

Yeah  Febi do the Plastic ones and Metal ones. I just had a bit of doubt over using something made of plastic on the steering end of my cars suspension.... obviously fine as the car's 10yrs old, so was still on OEM type, but still... my brain just said noo... id like a chunk of metal please!  I'll keep an eye on them, and report back as to how they go :)

Hello Mac,

I've ordered genuine plastic ones from the dealer in Glasgow and awaiting them in the post hopefully tomorrow after the Christmas chaos

will get them on soon as can and see how long they last

Been tempted to ask a friend who's engineer to make me metal ones from scratch out heavier gauge round bar

• Like 1