Intercooler help

Thanks a lot mate

I have got a high flow perfomance smic

This is the details of the smic I got new , I want to know this one fit on my stock location without modification

Over all length 13"

Over all height 10"

Inlet / outlet size 2.5"

Core thickness 5"

Core length 7.6"

Core height 8.1"

I can probably dig mine out and measure later this morning. What's the problem bud?

• Like 1

I went metric:

Cooler height 230mm

Depth 62mm

Width 200mm

Max width 360mm approx

In and out 2.5" external

Mounting bracket eye to eye approx 51mm

If its one of those large smics you may find you need to lose the duct behind the bumper corner grill. Be warned though not sure what other tunes you have but Brown Barge on here found that his car got laggy after fitting one. He and a few others on here including myself have gone for the cooler from the AUM engine, its slightly larger, straight swap including map sensor and essexocty found it brought down intake temps. I'm at 220ish break and quite happy with it until I can get fmic. There was a big thread about it called 'intake temps'. Loads of info in it.

Just to add to the above though,the core thickness on mine and yellow car's will be thicker than a standard intercooler as we have the mk4 golf one fitted. Part no ending in F.

I measured my standard one ending in S after digging it out the shed

I measured my standard one ending in S after digging it out the shed

Ah ok. Those measurements i posted are off the F one i bought but didn't need. If you've still got it close whats the core thickness of the S?

Yeah just under 2.5". The F version is 85mm. Quite a difference.

Yeah I thought for one horrible moment you were going to tell me my F is the same as my S was, that would have been an even more annoying predicament than yours lol! At least you know for sure you've got the uprated one, you've got 2 init. Have you managed to move on your spare yet?

Best thing is try it, not sure exactly what you've got. If the map goes in it should be ok. We went for stock ones from the golf iv because they're big enough for improvement without causing problems on the basis that someone fitted a larger one than that and found it laggy, you may find it runs ok with yours.

My car is in stock condition

So Uprated or stock smic is good mate ?

Best thing is try it, not sure exactly what you've got. If the map goes in it should be ok. We went for stock ones from the golf iv because they're big enough for improvement without causing problems on the basis that someone fitted a larger one than that and found it laggy, you may find it runs ok with yours.

My car is in stock condition

So Uprated or stock smic is good mate ?

Mk1 VRS yeah? The stock one is pretty small, it will probably stand you in good stead if you're keeping it standard, but if you're going for stage 1 map or other mods around this parameter (under 230/225bhp) I would uprate to avoid heatsoak and allow map to fulfil its potential. You could try one of those large smic ebay jobbies if you dare, go fmic or take the cheapest and probably most effective option of the stock cooler from a Golf iv, AUM engine which is larger, part number is 1j014 5803 F...as it happens Meaty101 has one for sale! Standard set up should also benefit from this. Make sure part number ends in F, standard octavia one ends in S.

• Like 1