Poor Starting Followed By High Idle

Mase-dog

Today after having already driven for a couple of hours I started the car and the engine management light came on.

2002 Octavia vRS 89k miles.

I'd noticed over the past couple of days after starting with a warm engine the rpm has raced up to around 1500-2000rpm for a few seconds before eventually settling down, the engine has also needed longer on the starter motor before firing into life,

Generally everything else seems normal although performance may be down a little (or that may be in my head).

Prior to getting hold of a code reader or similar is there anything I should check, look at, investigate?

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Not sure mate, I've experienced the rpm rising itself up to 1.5 to 2k rpm from start up then settling down as my breather is split (getting changed after Christmas)

I've no eml though and it hasn't raised any codes yet, performance is a bit random with mine, sometimes fast sometimes slow, hopefully new breathers will fix it

Unmetered air in sufficiently large enough quantities to go outside the sensor monitored values will bring on an eml. Check your breathers as has been said.

Get a code scan as a faulty CTS can also bring some of your symptoms too.

Just a quick update:

Fault code P1296 was present and cleared, the EML hasn't come back on yet but no doubt it will. I'll change the CTS this week, as this would appear to be the most likely cause.

Also noted that the breather from the rocker cover (06A 103 221 AH) had completely severed, whether or not this has any implications I'm unsure, again I'll replace this week.

Throttle body was inspected and found to be clean, spark plugs inspected again no issues.