retrofitting rear pdc

Wakey

Hi. I want to fit rear parking sensors to my VRS estate

There are two options - buys the OEM kit for around £200.00 or buy an aftermarket kit for a lot less.

Ive got the admunsen HU and just wanted to know if the OEM PDC will link in with it or is it just a stand alone kit?

Apart from the rebated sensors looking neater is there any benefit in spending £200.00 for the skoda kit?

it will work better longer in my opinion.  I have had aftermarket kits and on the whole they never perform as well long term.  One of m Type R's had afternmarket ones which used to go mental all the time.  Plus it will fit easily with your current set up instead of being a guessing game .

Hi. I want to fit rear parking sensors to my VRS estate

There are two options - buys the OEM kit for around £200.00 or buy an aftermarket kit for a lot less.

Ive got the admunsen HU and just wanted to know if the OEM PDC will link in with it or is it just a stand alone kit?

Apart from the rebated sensors looking neater is there any benefit in spending £200.00 for the skoda kit?

I had the Skoda aftermarket kit fitted and it doesn't integrate with the integrated Sat Nav, you just get a bleeper, all works very well though. The sensors are not rebated as in a factory install.

Great thanks for the info.

was it the genuine skoda supplied retrofit kit?

reason i ask is that the kits ive seen have rebated fitting and sit inside the cut hole in the bumper. there is a rubber sleeve around the sensor and its flush with the bumper.

the nondescript items have a flange that sits on the outer surface so they are slightly proud.

We had the dealer fit system, not from the factory. That has the sensors flush with the bumper. So is that not available to buy? It doesn't display in the radio, though.

YEah it is available, but its 200 sheets for the kit.

If its essentially a VW stamped kit that is 10x the cost of the nodescript items and offers nothing else then I'm struggling to justify it. 

If it was a retrofit that showed up on the nav screen then yeah maybe

How much did it cost to fit?

Well it was part of the deal, when we bought the car. The dealer claimed it was worth £399 fitted but I doubt it. Found out today, it has a little red LED too, built into the speaker they fit. We had the display in the radio on our Roomster until I fitted a different radio, and I never missed it. To be honest, I'm looking elsewhere than the radio when reversing so the LED in the rear is more of a thing for me given I'm looking behind me anyway.

Well the sounder certainly looks the same as fitted to ours. Can't say about the rest, except the sensors on ours are certainly flush.

I have currently got the car on the ramp and the rear bumper removed - in the throws of retrofitting the Kit.

I'll post up some pics when done. 

FWIW I've found that one manufacturer makes most of the PDC systems for the VAG group and I ended up buying their kit. Its flush fitting, programmable and very high quality.

FWIW I've found that one manufacturer makes most of the PDC systems for the VAG group and I ended up buying their kit. Its flush fitting, programmable and very high quality.

Interesting. Who is that?

Yeah I looked at that; think I read a thread on Briskoda about someone who had done it. In all honesty the car graphic on the radio is not really any use to me and I can't be arsed with the faff of getting it coded just now.

The Laserline has a mute wire that I can run to the main HU to mute the radio when I reverse.

TBH the only reason I'm fitting the kit is that the other cars we have have PDC. The little Fiat Panda 100hp didn't and when we first got it I jumped in one day and nearly reversed it into a wall as I was so used to waiting for the PDC to chime up. I fitted the kit right after so its the dame with the Fabia.

The little Fiat Panda 100hp didn't and when we first got it I jumped in one day and nearly reversed it into a wall as I was so used to waiting for the PDC to chime up. I fitted the kit right after so its the dame with the Fabia.

You username seems very appropriate then ;).

Now when in a vehicle without them, the checking is even greater than ever before.  

I feel kind of vulnerable now when ever selecting reverse when i do not have them.

I always have looked for push bikes, scooters etc dumped behind or children walking behind (little people),

but it is amazing in Super Market car parks how often parents let children wonder behind you and the likes.

• Like 1

Are they still going? Wow. I remember an early alarm of theirs that claimed to use a laser for arming and disarming. It was actually a purely conventional infra red LED. It also claimed it used the red LED as part of the arming and disarming, but you could cover it up and the infra red one did all the work really.

And do they say the make most of the PDCs for VAG? Valeo are one of the big ones, and I think Bosch another, but I'm not aware of Laserline doing anything OEM. Doesn't mean they don't do some, but most?