when running driving lights the dashboard is dark

Hi ,  I have had my rapid about 2 months now and have just noticed that when I am running on driving lights the dashboard is sometimes nearly black and then sometimes OK with a brightly lit dashboard. I can be driving along and suddenly I can watch as it slowly dims and then it will light up again. When sidelights are on it's OK same with headlights. 

This morning for example I set off in a fairly dark morning with just the fingers showing up, the rest of the dashboard in darkness, I didn't consider it dark enough for main lights on. I have read manual and it says something about it varying due to the light conditions, is this correct?

It’s done that way to remind you you only have DRL’s on (so in 99% of the time no rear lights on)

I had our Yeti coded by the dealer during the PDI so the rear lights come on when just the DRL’s are on.

Far too many muppets drive in the dark (or at least when your lights should be on) with no rear lights on the car because they are still on DRL’s.

What is happening is intentional, if the light starts to fade or is poor then the dash lights switch off. They do this to remind you that maybe you should now be switching the headlights on due to poor visibility.

Hi thanks everyone for sorting that out, I only drive with only the driving lights during the daytime and I put full lights on at night time or bad conditions. I will try the tip of MickA and see if that happens. Does it make sense to include some reference to it in handbook?

Thanks