Speedo not working on 6 speed conversion. (RESOLVED)

gfwc

The 5 speed box had s speed sensor on it I think, after fitting the 6 speed box the speedo now doesn't work either, as well as my power steering

Any suggestions?

Can maybe it be altered in VCDS to get the speed from the ABS sensors?

Edited by gfwc

Not sure how I can help sorry. I fitted all wiring etc so never had compatability issues going to six speed. I thought speed came from the abs sensors to be honest.

Everything is all connected up, but no speed :( the car is 2001 if that makes any differnce to how the speed was done then. But I'm pretty sure it was on the gearbox.

Can VCDS tell it to get the speed from abs ?

Ps, mine is 2001 too but all my bits came from a 2004 Vrs so it lives as that car essentially

Spoke to darkside today, and they told me that they have done loads of these conversions, and on all of them, the speedo just worked even withoit the speed sensor on the box.

:(

Is your power steering working now? Maybe we missed a earth when putting it back in?

No mate it's not :( I keep looking and looking for any problems but can't see anything. Checking every pipe and cable all the way from its origin to check for any possibilities but nothing.

Spoke to darkside developments today and they think it's likely to be an earthing problem.

I really do not know !

No mate it's not :( I keep looking and looking for any problems but can't see anything. Checking every pipe and cable all the way from its origin to check for any possibilities but nothing.

Spoke to darkside developments today and they think it's likely to be an earthing problem.

I really do not know !

Tracked the wiring back?

Did it have the damp foam membrane around it?

No mate. It did have some sort of silicone stuff slapped on the plugs though which seems like Itbwas there to prevent water ingress. Possibly done before the pump chsnge and it not fix the problem so then they changed the pump. ... Just a theory.

• Like 1

No mate. It did have some sort of silicone stuff slapped on the plugs though which seems like Itbwas there to prevent water ingress. Possibly done before the pump chsnge and it not fix the problem so then they changed the pump. ... Just a theory.

Plausible, does VCDS bring up anything with the ignition on?

Steering was lighter on one side than the other wasn't it?

No, after testing it with the wheels on the ground, there is no power either side.

It does work however on the left hand side where I can move the wheel between about 5-10cm. So one tiny little patch where it works and that's it. It's really tough to explain.

No, after testing it with the wheels on the ground, there is no power either side.

It does work however on the left hand side where I can move the wheel between about 5-10cm. So one tiny little patch where it works and that's it. It's really tough to explain.

I understand, there's nothing until you hit the sweet spot on the left then nothing after it.

Angle sensor failing?

hi! I have just finished my conversion today :D everything is fine, power steering works well, so u did some mistake, u should recheck cables.

I am really interested in speedo from ABS since the old gearbox had a speedo sensor and cable, but not the new one. Now i am trying to get the solution. I think i should overwrite the abs sensor code in VCDS, but i have not used it before.... so if you have any solution on speedo please write it here also :) thx