Speedo not working on 6 speed conversion. (RESOLVED)

gfwc

I understand, there's nothing until you hit the sweet spot on the left then nothing after it.

Angle sensor failing?

Fixed It tonight! :) hehe so happy!

Changed the steering rack to a VRS rack and it's working!

Over the moon

• Like 1

So the rack was actually causing the speedo to not work? Seems an odd correlation.

No no, the power steering is working haha.

Speedo still not functioning

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/332682-complete-vcds-guide-v10-download-now/?hl=vcds#entry4009988

Based on this link i might try to change the Speed Impulse Number (K-Value) (18th page in the PDF) tomorrow on my car to ASZ engine code, so possibly it will read the speed from ABS not from gearbox (FSM doesnt have speedo connection)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/332682-complete-vcds-guide-v10-download-now/?hl=vcds#entry4009988

Based on this link i might try to change the Speed Impulse Number (K-Value) (18th page in the PDF) tomorrow on my car to ASZ engine code, so possibly it will read the speed from ABS not from gearbox (FSM doesnt have speedo connection)

Please post your findings as I'm having this issue too! I don't have VCDS though :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Today we tried... Changed the speed distance (k value) to 2,4,5 without success.. We even tried swapping ECU from a vw polo which reads speedo from abs. No success either :(

i will try keep trying searching net, hopefully i can find some easy solution.

Hi! Today we tried... Changed the speed distance (k value) to 2,4,5 without success.. We even tried swapping ECU from a vw polo which reads speedo from abs. No success either :(

i will try keep trying searching net, hopefully i can find some easy solution.

:( that's not good.

What a pain!

Might have to try and source the engine loom from a Vrs

I have found skoda manuals at briskoda.

http://www.mediafire.com/?32vct1hmvx1rz

Go 0A8.pfd for FJW/FSM/HDS 6 speed.

On the "37-4 Page 2" or search for "G22"  it says unplug G22 speedo sensor. But i couldnt remember if i had a connection on gearbox like this... (which one actually is it on the picture actually?)

Maybe we can start from here... :)

• 2 weeks later...

btw converted from ATD 5spd to FSM 6spd

I have fixed the problem!!

You HAVE to have VRS clocks In order for the speed to show up.

Just tested mine with VRS clocks and the speedo is working!

Very happy indeed.

Now anyone else that does the conversion knows that you have to change the clocks to get it to work :)

• Like 3

6 speed clocks needed then :D

Well done.

All that hassle when it's as simple as that.

Just need to get my Immo deleted or the clocks coded to the car and I'm good to go! :)

Wow confused reading this     So there were two seperate issues here  1, no power steering (sorted with VRS Rack) and 2, no speedo after fitting 6 speed box in place of 5, sorted with VRS Speedo dash pod.   But then the keys ecu and speedo security / immobiliser thingmes would be all different surely?

I still have no speedo: std ATD 5 speed so reading this topic with interest

Wish i knew that years ago when i converted a 2002 Polo Sport tdi to a 130pd 6 speed!

I ended up using a can-bus interface to read the can-bus speed then convert it into a speed pulse. It was a bloody nightmare though.

I would have needed to fit clocks from a newer Polo in that case then!

Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow confused reading this So there were two seperate issues here 1, no power steering (sorted with VRS Rack) and 2, no speedo after fitting 6 speed box in place of 5, sorted with VRS Speedo dash pod. But then the keys ecu and speedo security / immobiliser thingmes would be all different surely?

I still have no speedo: std ATD 5 speed so reading this topic with interest

The problem with the rack was that when refitting, the wrong size bolt was put in the dog bone mount, and it screwed into the steering rack when torqued up, so is irrelevant. It just so happened that the spare rack that I had was a VRS rack, a normal replacement would have sufficed, it's definitely not something that needs to be changed when doing the conversion.

The only issue with the gearbox change is the speedo not working, and after fitting Vrs/6sp clocks, it works

Yes you need it coded to the car, to do so you need either both SKC codes from each unit, and do the change in VCDS, it's a reletively simple process.

The SKC codes can be retrieved using anotber tool which skips my mind at the moment, but it cannot be done with VCDS

Anotber solution is to just simply get the immobiliser deleted.

I am unsure if putting the immo chip from the donor car key into your key would work or not, but it's a possibility

Edited by gfwc
  • Like 1

Vagtacho is the thing you need to read SKC codes.

Don't think just swapping the immobiliser chip to your key would work. Think it has to be key, dash cluster and ECU. may be wrong though.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The problem is the clocks use a single wire speed pulse that is given off of the speed sensor, while the 6 speed cluster gets the speed off the can bus.

Only way is to either change the lot or do as i did and but a can bus interface to convert the abs can bus speed into a pulse for the original dash. Problem with that is trying to get correct amount of pulse per MPH. Was never right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk