Changing headlight bulbs

Hi all

Just spent a morning changing a blown dipped H7 headlight bulb, so thought I'd post a couple of thoughts from doing the job that might help any one else trying to do the same.

First, it is impossible to do it with the headlight housing in the car, unless you have fingers like a slender loris who has just won World's Strongest Man/Loris.

Second, getting the headlight housing out of the car is fairly easy.  If, like me, you haven't moved them before, the release levers can be a bit stiff and will require a determined pull.  I oiled mine before putting the assembly back.  I also counted the number of turns needed to get the plastic nut undone, so that if it required a different number to put it back, then the beam adjustment would surely be out.  Mine was OK.

Last but not least, if yours like mine is a 1.9 TDi, you can get a good look at the serial number printed on the side of the fuel filter can by the driver's side lights.  I know from this forum that getting the right fuel filter without this info can be difficult.  Impossible to read when the light housing is in the car, easy with it out.  My 2009 can is type 3C0127400C.

Hi all

Just spent a morning changing a blown dipped H7 headlight bulb, so thought I'd post a couple of thoughts from doing the job that might help any one else trying to do the same.

First, it is impossible to do it with the headlight housing in the car, unless you have fingers like a slender loris who has just won World's Strongest Man/Loris.

Second, getting the headlight housing out of the car is fairly easy.  If, like me, you haven't moved them before, the release levers can be a bit stiff and will require a determined pull.  I oiled mine before putting the assembly back.  I also counted the number of turns needed to get the plastic nut undone, so that if it required a different number to put it back, then the beam adjustment would surely be out.  Mine was OK.

Last but not least, if yours like mine is a 1.9 TDi, you can get a good look at the serial number printed on the side of the fuel filter can by the driver's side lights.  I know from this forum that getting the right fuel filter without this info can be difficult.  Impossible to read when the light housing is in the car, easy with it out.  My 2009 can is type 3C0127400C.

The beam adjusters are totally different nuts to the single headlamp retaining bolt, so as long as the headlamp assemply is located correctly in its slide/bracket thingy and the release lever is pushed back fully then the beam angle shouldn't have changed.

I nearly had a rogue garage (after it had failed the MOT on beam angle) try to convince me that the car needed a complete headlamp unit, when they were trying to change the beam angle by using the securing bolt - muppets!

• Like 2

thats because its designed to be done out of the car although you can change the main beam in situ if you really want to

thats because its designed to be done out of the car although you can change the main beam in situ if you really want to

And dip as I did a few days ago while buggering about with hid's, it's not hard