Help!

Guys

Had my Superb broken into this morning and the Columbus unit has gone!

I'm looking for a cheap fix rather than go through the insurance and there are many units on Ebay - is it as simple as I think it is ie just plug a 'new' unit in (provided you have the code) or are there other issues I need to be aware of ie Bluetooth, steering wheel controls?

All the wires/connectors seem to be intact as does the trim but the large black connector block which seems to marshall several smaller connector blocks is slightly damaged in that one one the connectors it holds no longer locks into place but I would have thought the push fit alone would be OK.

Also does it matter if you go for a newer unit with newer software & firmware or for that matter will a VW RNS510 unit be OK. I can see that some of the buttons may differently labelled but I would have thought they do the same function

Grateful for anyones thoughts. Cheers

Dave

I see you don't really want to go through your insurance but as you have concerns that connectors etc may be damaged who knows what other potential problems may arise. I'd think again about the insurance and maybe get it all paid up for and sorted properly by a dealer, let them deal with any other related problems, and hopefully get a new genuine Columbus fitted with the latest firmware and mapping.

The Columbus is the same as the RNS 510, the Skoda one says 'TMC' for traffic, the VW one says 'Traffic' on the buttons etc, just called something different by Skoda, all made by Continental.

Personally I'd worry anything from EBay may have a problem, or may not, but I wouldn't want the hassle if it does goes wrong, with a genuine fitment it will have a warranty so just take it back if necessary and let them sort it out.

Alternatively take a look at another replacement such as the Kenwood unit, not cheap new but you might source one from somewhere else http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/vw/

Hope you get it fixed as cheaply and quickly as you can.

It's natural that to keep your NCD is the first instinct, but have you actually worked out the cost of an insurance claim (to get a brand new and warranted unit) against going it alone with all the potential pitfalls that implies? (That said, I did buy my Columbus from a Lithuanian on eBay 2 years ago and it's been fine.)

Make sure you're buying from a reputable seller if you go the ebay route. Otherwise you might be buying your old radio back... 

• Like 1

As above, the only 'cheap' ones on eBay are either knackered, copies or nicked.

Buying one feeds the desire for the little scroats to keep breaking into peoples cars.

You guys are clearly willing and able to stump up Skoda's extortionate £2000+ for a replacement without blinking, but not everyone is so fortunate. If Skoda's price was more reasonable (for a unit that routinely bricks after a couple of years, I might add), more people would pay it and the stolen/counterfeit market would become less profitable and consequently smaller.

• Like 1

You guys are clearly willing and able to stump up Skoda's extortionate £2000+ for a replacement without blinking, but not everyone is so fortunate. If Skoda's price was more reasonable (for a unit that routinely bricks after a couple of years, I might add), more people would pay it and the stolen/counterfeit market would become less profitable and consequently smaller.

That's why I suggested going through the insurance, after all that is what you pay it for, hopefully gl1800dave has a protected claims policy. 

Alternatively ask someone like this http://hazzydayz.com/vw-rns-510-with-sat-nav-dvd-player-supply--fit-refurbished-4304-p.asp

Guys

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go down the insurance route, yes I have protected NCD but I'm more concerned about the impact on my premium for the next 5 years, and that of my wife as I'm a named driver on her car.

As has been alluded to the Skoda price is way too high (circa £2000) and the insurance company will end up paying it.

The main reason I'm going to end up through the insurance is that I thought these units were a simple 'plug & play' install but I cannot be sure if the leads or connectors are all present and in good order. 

Does anyone know if a new Columbus now has DAB as standard? Thanks

Dave

That's why I suggested going through the insurance, after all that is what you pay it for, hopefully gl1800dave has a protected claims policy. 

Alternatively ask someone like this http://hazzydayz.com/vw-rns-510-with-sat-nav-dvd-player-supply--fit-refurbished-4304-p.asp

Oh for sure, if mine had been nicked rather than bricked, that's certainly what I'd have done.

DAB? Well, the ones on eBay do ... :notme:

I had my Superb FL in 2013 and it has DAB. I would have thought all new Columbus units are now DAB but its worth asking when it goes in for replacement just to make sure. If its not got DAB I doubt its a new unit.

Hope you manage to get it sorted asap and without any hassle.

Guys

Had my Superb broken into this morning and the Columbus unit has gone!

I'm looking for a cheap fix rather than go through the insurance and there are many units on Ebay - is it as simple as I think it is ie just plug a 'new' unit in (provided you have the code) or are there other issues I need to be aware of ie Bluetooth, steering wheel controls?

All the wires/connectors seem to be intact as does the trim but the large black connector block which seems to marshall several smaller connector blocks is slightly damaged in that one one the connectors it holds no longer locks into place but I would have thought the push fit alone would be OK.

Also does it matter if you go for a newer unit with newer software & firmware or for that matter will a VW RNS510 unit be OK. I can see that some of the buttons may differently labelled but I would have thought they do the same function

Grateful for anyones thoughts. Cheers

Dave

No mention what damage was done thieves getting into car ?

So assume you are going to claim for this damage also.

Your total claim may just swallow your compulsory + voluntary excess without having touch the insurers pocket?

Oh for sure, if mine had been nicked rather than bricked, that's certainly what I'd have done.

DAB? Well, the ones on eBay do ... :notme:

You'll pay much less than £800 over the coming years in increased insurance premiums with the added bonus of knowing you aren't funding the theft from another unfortunate owner.

You'll pay much less than £800 over the coming years in increased insurance premiums with the added bonus of knowing you aren't funding the theft from another unfortunate owner.

Yup, that's why I advised what I advised in my first post.

All

The toe rags smashed their way in through the front passenger window - other than the fact it looked like a grenade had gone off in a glass factory there was no other damage to the door! It even looks like the scrotes even removed the Columbus with a degree of care - I suppose I should be grateful!

By the way if anyone sees an ebay advert where the seller has taken a picture of a 'fired up' Columbus mine is easy to spot due to a 'blemish' in the display ie a semi circular shadow halfway up the right hand side of the screen - see attached.

Dave

post-91562-0-60578300-1420932740_thumb.jpg

Hi All

Decision made - Superb PX'd for a nice new shiny Octavia 2.0 4x4 estate.

In the end I went down the DIY repair route - got Autoglass to do the side window and bought a second hand Columbus off Ebay from Lithuania.

I'll be sad to see the Superb go but it would never feel the same again. The Octavia is not a whole lot smaller, still gives me the 4x4, matches my 170 engine 0-60 but with a 150 engine, appears to be more economical and drives well.

Dave

• 5 months later...

Well, just to resurrect this old thread a bit. I've contacted gl1800dave recently regarding his stolen Columbus, but despite it being of some possible interest to him he's declined to reply. Maybe there's a good reason, I don't know. But I'll update the thread here in case anyone is looking for one.

His stolen Columbus popped up on Ebay a few days ago (see this one here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141698604997), or at least if it's not the same one then it's one which has exactly the same faulty screen, and it's a fault I've never seen the likes of before.

So, I'm not in a position to tell people what to do, but I would suggest buying stolen goods knowingly is not a good idea.

No, I've reported it to the person who had the item stolen. Ebay won't accept a stolen goods report from a third party I doubt, otherwise people would just destroy other peoples sales threads and Ebay would spend all their time chasing rainbows.

Only the Police can report an item as being susepcted of being stolen...

Reports of stolen property on eBay need to come from a law enforcement official. If you are a law enforcement official and wish to submit a report, please visit our Safety Centre for more information

No, I've reported it to the person who had the item stolen. Ebay won't accept a stolen goods report from a third party I doubt, otherwise people would just destroy other peoples sales threads and Ebay would spend all their time chasing rainbows.

Never thought of that

Who going to contact the seller then!?

I see he is from Kidderminster which is 100 miles / 2.5 hour drive from the OP in Reading (assuming this is where his car was broken into)?