Bulb recommendations

Hello everyone

On Tuesday night I was heading out to a Briskoda meet in Alton, Hampshire which involved driving along some very tricky narrow, unlit and pitch black country roads.

The thing that was apparent to me during this journey was that the factory headlight bulbs in the Rapid are not good. Very yellow, very dull. Sure, they are fine for driving on motorways and lit city roads, but where they are the only source of light they do not do well.

So, I'm looking for recommendations please for new bulbs that will be brighter, whiter and better.

Over on the Briskoda Facebook page, a few people have been recommending Halfords Ultra Brilliance bulbs: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/bulbs/halfords-hbu477ub-ultra-brilliance-car-bulb

I've not used the Ultra Brilliance bulbs, but my past experience with Halfords own-brand normal bulbs has been below average (they don't last very long in my experience).

Anyone else changed their bulbs for something better, and if so, what did you go for?

Cheers

Chris

I have Ultra Brilliance in my Citigo. They're great. So much brighter than Osram Nightbreakers which blew in 8 months. These have lasted over 12 months so far. You get a lovely bright white beam and no aweful Blue colour. Buy one get one free at Halfords at the moment. £24.99 [emoji106]

I shan't be bothering to upgrade any bulbs in the Rapid.

Osram Nightbreaker Plus here with their cool blue intense sidelights. Also done a DIY adjustment to the nearside headlight, as the beam was set very short but the local dealer wanted to charge an hours labour to adjust it  :S

TP

Thanks for the links, extremely helpful.

Which of those would you recommend?

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

funny you've just written this, I ordered some bulbs this week... I struggled to choose, in fact I ordered the phillips extreme vision plus after reading autocar review. Then I changed my mind and went for the Osram Nightbreaker Plus which arrived in the post today (i've since read reviews and all say they don't last long... 150 hours! where as the Phillips quote 500 hours  :sweat: ) thats what I get for being indecisive, should have gone with the phillips.

Send them back and get the others [emoji106]

Not sure I can, there is no fault with them it was my poor decision... I might just stick with them for the 150 hours (shouldn't take long!) and then get the Phillips xtreem ones :)

Does anyone know what bulbs fit the rear number plate (I think it's w5w), I'd like a bright, whiter light. I've seen a load of LED ones on eBay but worried they might cause a fault code to appear.

Thanks for the links, extremely helpful.

Which of those would you recommend?

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

I got the philips plus had them 2 Years changed from one car to another  Might buy some new ones  xenon effect because you get the 501 free

They're very easy to get to and change [emoji106]

That's good to know - the last two cars I had (The C4 and the Rover 75) were both a pain in the arse to change front bulbs on (though both were really easy for rear bulbs).

Think I'm going to order the Philips White Vision Xenon Effect with the free 501s.

• Like 2

That's good to know - the last two cars I had (The C4 and the Rover 75) were both a pain in the arse to change front bulbs on (though both were really easy for rear bulbs).Think I'm going to order the Philips White Vision Xenon Effect with the free 501s.

I'll go with you on this (you seem a sensible person :-)

The dipped beam H7 are straight forward to replace, as was the offside sidelight. However had to move the battery to change the nearside sidelight.

The factory sidelight bulbs looked very yellow once the nightbreakers had been fitted, so Osram cool blue sides went in to complement the nightbreakers.

TP

• Like 1

If you do get some Chris can you post a before an after pic cos I too would like some brighter ones, and whiter, the standard yellowy lights are hideous and could be so much brighter.

Will do - ordered them earlier this evening, so should have them by midweek (mail order only from ECP, not held in store).

The dipped beam H7 are straight forward to replace, as was the offside sidelight. However had to move the battery to change the nearside sidelight.

The factory sidelight bulbs looked very yellow once the nightbreakers had been fitted, so Osram cool blue sides went in to complement the nightbreakers.

TP

What fitting are the side light bulbs?  I went for philips x-treme vision +130% and the difference is amazing. replacing the dipped beam Is one of the first things i do when i get a new car.

thanks!

• Like 1

Headlight bulbs at Lidl next week on offer, claim they are 50% brighter...........comments?? Scroll down the offers page. Also those smart chargers on offer again @£13.99, I got one last time they were on offer.  http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=467

I may just get a set and try them. The type I need for the Toledo is the same as my Mazda so if they are crap at least I've got a spare set for emergency to fit both cars.

I bought some of the Lidl bulbs a couple of years ago for the C4 - worked, and seemed to last well, but appeared just as yellow & no brighter than basic Halfords bulbs.

Hi

i have xenon headlights fitted in my rapid.
Does anyone have any recommendations for replacing the factory bulbs H17 variant? It has that yellowish glow and it looks rather ugly next to xenon.

Also i bought those little park bulbs w5w - philips bluevision ultra (xenon ultimate effect) just to find out, that they are already the same in the car - factory fitted..and also glow yellow, not cold white

large_w5w.jpg?lm=1368002478

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/280715-skoda-rapid-bulb-types/

thank you

1 x 48177022W @ 24.99 GBP

Philips White Vision Xenon Effect - H7 Twin Pack (free set of 501 Bulbs Included)

----

ordered the above yesterday from euro car parts. if they are naff I am blaming you mr chris green :-)

if they are a nightmare to fit, I am blaming you mr plumber :-)

Edited by inspector
  • Like 1

What fitting are the side light bulbs?  I went for philips x-treme vision +130% and the difference is amazing. replacing the dipped beam Is one of the first things i do when i get a new car.

thanks!

W5W, I went for these and they match the nightbreakers perfectly;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/INTENSE-halogen-position-2825CBI-02B-blister/dp/B005OK4PR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421005446&sr=8-1&keywords=osram+w5w+cool+blue

TP