Superb Estate, 3 way test,

There would be something seriously wrong if the recently designed Mondeo and Mazda were not rated higher than a car that's been around for a number of years. I'm sure the forthcoming Superb III will give both a run for their money.

My rule of thumb is only to buy new cars coming towards the end of their run, the theory being that the manufacturer has ironed out all of the gremlins by then, and the mid-life facelift will offer some extra value. That, plus the simply enormous boot, IMO puts my 14 plate Superb Outdoor streets ahead of the Mazda and Mondeo, no matter how stylish they might look.

• Like 2

The 'new' Mondeo has been out for around two years in the USA (called Fusion over there). It's been delayed in Europe while they tried to iron out all the gremlins which has taken them a while as there's been a few. I had trouble a few weeks ago with the Ford Connect multimedia system while I was out there, to say it's poor is an understatement, although once it's sorted I'm sure it will work OK. The touchscreen was the worst I've ever used, and in the USA the controls on the centre console are all touch sensitive, here they're buttons so hopefully will be a bit more reliable. I also had trouble with the traction control which alarmed out for no apparent reason, on the way to the garage it cleared itself - all well documented problems on the internet.

For me the Mazda just doesn't look or feel right inside, the sat nav looks like an after thought and I'm not convinced I'd be happy driving it around for hours at a time. it's just not me.

That still leaves the Superb at the top of my list, just because it's been out for a few years doesn't mean it isn't any good, and as Googolplex says above, you can't beat it for interior space given the cost. The Ford and Mazda might look stylish, but it's a case of style over substance in my opinion. 

Ford's guzzle fuel, so if anyone is thinking of a Superb 2.0DSG vs Mondeo 2.0 TDi Powershift don't,

Superb real urban 35mpg

Mondeo  "    "    "   25mpg

Ignor the book, officially is 44 and 39 respectively but the reality is as I posted it.

• Like 1

It's an interesting comparison, styling aside the Superb has largest boot, smallest turning circle and is the lightest. It also has two year service option, the ford looks to have an electric park brake which is an instant fail for me. I quite like the sound of Mazda's 2.2 motor though.  

• Like 1

It's an interesting comparison, styling aside the Superb has largest boot, smallest turning circle and is the lightest. It also has two year service option, the ford looks to have an electric park brake which is an instant fail for me. I quite like the sound of Mazda's 2.2 motor though.  

The one thing I really miss on my Superb is the electronic auto brakes, auto hold and auto hand brake. I've had this on all my VW cars since 2005 (four in total), I really miss it as it does everything for you completely automatically. Levers go back to the early 1900's, about time they modernised.

The one thing I really miss on my Superb is the electronic auto brakes, auto hold and auto hand brake. I've had this on all my VW cars since 2005 (four in total), I really miss it as it does everything for you completely automatically. Levers go back to the early 1900's, about time they modernised.

They have never appealed to me although I like the idea of a hill hold function, if they could provide this with a conventional hand brake that would do me  :sun: My brother in law has it fitted to his passat and it malfunctioned leaving the warning bong going all the way from Scotland down to me, 3.5 hrs. He was not a happy bunny when he arrived :peek:  

Edited by Laurie61

The superb has a bigger capacity in numbers but is less practical than the mondeo as it's narrower and the wheel arches intrude in the skoda also the seats don't go flat unlike the mondeo. I quite often carry a lot of kit , this kit has 2 big boxes and these will fit side by side in mondeo but not in skoda

Edited by peterposh

Peterposh, it's 'horses for courses'. If you carry particular equipment, I can see how the shape of boot is important. For my part, I fetched my son from Uni in December using the Mondeo and his stuff spilled onto the back seat. Took it all back, plus a new Microwave, in the new Superb, and it all fitted in the boot. It's something of a tardis back there!

The slimmer Superb has its advantages, not least in having a better chance of fitting, width-wise, in a parking space and not having to exit via the tailgate (as I once had to in the Mondeo...).

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I've just come to a Superb SE Estate from a late model Mondeo. The Mondeo is, without doubt, a very reliable car (I had 2 hatchbacks) and was a great drive. I had a 2.0 diesel 6spd manual followed by a 6spd auto. I agree with the post on the width of the cars. I've already noticed that little bit of extra room to get out of the car in a tight space - is the Superb slim or the Mondeo wide?

Before I went to Skoda I took a good look at the Mazda 6. It is a beautiful car from the outside. The diesel engine is, possibly, the most efficient on the road even with an auto box and it is big inside - but it was the inside that put me off. It had a cheap feel to the dash and interior. However, in quality terms, the Superb reminded me more of an Audi A6 I had 10 years ago. Very good fit, feel and finish inside - with a DSG box, very good to drive and, having been built for a few years, I worked on the basis that Skoda should have a very good idea of how to build them by now.

So far, very happy and glad I didn't go for the Mondeo Titanium for sale down the road!!!