Kenwood DNX525DAB Satnav/audio/etc/etc

Brimstone

Hi all,

I was browsing the internet looking for nothing in particular and came across a reference to this system, which is apparently approved by VAG Group for installation across their range of vehicles, including SMs. Has anyone out there had it fitted or indeed know anything about it, as I'm getting a bit tired of my blank Bolero screen just sitting there doing nothing, even refusing to tell me the time of day?

Any views welcomed.

Brimstone

I do not have the 525 but do have the earlier 521 unit and it is very good but not sure I would pay the sort of money they want.

As a dab radio/satnav /DVD player/ipod thing it is great for my needs but never had any other standard vag group radio to know if it performs particulary better, especially as I'm on standard speakers.

Oh and its my second unit as the original 521 had a fault on the DAB after about 12 months. My dealer replaced it with no quibbles from them or Kenwood :)

Saw a thread today where someone is looking to sell their DNX521DAB, not sure on a price.

Edited by Defenderben

I looked on Google and from what I can see this unit would also have a blank screen when it is turned off, just like a Bolero.

However it does appear to do more than a Bolero, but at nearly a thousand pounds.................................??

At that price it would have to make the tea and give me a ginger biscuit!!

• Like 1

I have an aftermarket radio in my Yeti. The screen on that is blank as well when it's switched off :notme: .

Yep. I think that's to show that it's OFF. :giggle: 

As an aside can anyone who has fitted an aftermarket radio with DAB tell me whether they had to fit a DAB aerial as the standard one is optimised for AM/FM?

Fred

For DAB you need another aerial, the cheap end of the market is a glass windscreen mount which you run to behind the stereo. A in car DAB will have a number of aerial inputs, one for AM/FM and another for DAB.

However you can get a splitter that will give you DAB and AM/FM from your current aerial, but its not designed to power the antenna base amplifier in VW group cars.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

You have most probably already checked that, but just in case... there is a setting in Bolero under System Setup --> Screen --> Show clock in Standby mode which was disabled in my car, I had to enable it to see Clock in the Bolero screen

No "Tea" setting however... :-( 

Yiannis

Hi, 

You have most probably already checked that, but just in case... there is a setting in Bolero under System Setup --> Screen --> Show clock in Standby mode which was disabled in my car, I had to enable it to see Clock in the Bolero screen

Yiannis

Yassas!

Doesn't apply to the early model, only the facelift one.

Yassas!

Doesn't apply to the early model, only the facelift one.

Really? Tell me how or do you mean only the latest version of the Bolero?

Fred

Edited by g6zru

Hi, 

Yiannis

I believe this is applicable for the Bolero on the Octavia Mk3, using the MQB platform.

The photo in Post 17 is also from an MQB platform vehicle.

Edited by Wardy