Fitting facelift flappy paddle steering wheel connectors - now with a happy ending!

I have bought a new facelift steering wheel with flappy paddles from Skoda dop which has taken 6 weeks to arrive.

The only issue is I am struggling with fitting the black connector from the airbag to the steering wheel as it is such an awkward fit!

I have posted a photograph below as it looks like it is in the right place but the multifunctions don't work.

Can anybody who has done this confirm that I have fitted it correctly?

It was so simple to remove from the old wheel as the connector has a couple of inches of wire but is a right pain on the new one as there is no give or wiring for the new connector it is flush against the left side of the mfsw.

I have got the blue brown and black wires at the bottom is this correct? I have tried the connector both ways but can't seem to get the multifunctions to work?

It's driving me nuts as I previously had the 4 spoke mfsw so the multifunctions should just plug and play as I understand it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris post-13296-0-85315100-1421097576_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chunk11

Just to confirm I am going from the below pre facelift wheel in my 2011 superb to the wheel below:

Another member (Napier) on his pre facelift superb has done this and it all works fine the only thing he had to do was get somebody with vcds to code the flappy paddles but the mfsw worked straight away but not on mine?

I am waiting for a pm back but was just wondering if others had any ideas?

post-13296-0-89221500-1421098574_thumb.jpg

post-13296-0-60552700-1421098651_thumb.jpg

PM'd you tonight, but Photo 2 looks right to me so that the tang on the Plug locks into the rectangular slot in the connector. I'm sure this only fits one way round.

Okay I have taken apart the new steering wheel now to have a look at the connector and it appears that the connector is incorrect.

The connector on the new airbag is the same as the old air bag but the connector for the steering wheel controls is different.

i emailed Skoda dop before hand to check that everything would fit and work okay and they said it would.

Little bit worried now as I have emailed Skoda dop and they don't seem to understand a thing I'm saying as they are in czech rep.

It doesn't look like I could just swap over the controls easily either. Still awaiting a reply from Skoda dop and not too sure what to do really as it seems like no matter what I will end up paying out more money.

Thanks,

Chris

Assuming the correct wires are there at each side of the two connectors, you could just change the plug (the wires come out easily enough).  Is there an obvious match up colour wise for the wires on the two connectors?

Adam

You need to buy at your vw dealer new connector housing - part no. 8R0 973 605. Then remove the pins from old one to the new one, but alternate pin1 and pin3. Pin2 goes to 2, 4 to 4. If you didn't purchased the steering wheel from octavia3, all should work.

• Like 1

Update:

After a rather long and drawn out process due to the language barrier I have finally managed to sort things out with Skoda dop after they checked some part numbers for me and looked at the photos I sent.

They said that they had sent the old style airbag wiring/loom/connector and they have now sent me another one.

I hope that this hasn't also been lost in translation and that it is actually the right connector but I am sure we will find out in the coming weeks.

Hopefully a positive update once it arrives that all is fitted and working well!

And to conclude the topic Skoda dop, after a lot of confusion, sent me a new airbag loom which I fitted today. Steering wheel fitted all connectors now fit and everything is working!

Just need the flappy paddles coding now...

Many thanks to all those that helped.

A bit too far for me but there are members up there who have vcds and will help. Check out the map in the vcds section.

Edited by adamal

You'll need to plug in a computer and tell the car to look for input from the paddles for the paddles to work. That's what the last few posts have been talking about. Lots of people on here have the software to recode the car for this.